Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a hill-billy and by most peoples standards not a very wealthy or successful man. I have four vehicles and at any given time it seams like one is not running, but I don't have a car note. My home is only 1100 square feet, and was built in 53, but it is mine, and sits on a few acres. I keep an eye out for my neighbor, who is in poor health and not great $$$ shape. Yesterday we took them Thanksgiving dinner, not out of charity, but because that is what neighbors should do. I love my flannel, ballcap, and jeans, as well as the smell of WD-40, and Hoppes 9. I think girls should be pretty and boys should understand that our role in life is to provide and protect a family, as well as to teach our kids that the Bible is the only standard to live by. If you are wrong, then your wrong, and your only wrong if the Bible says you are. If you have a problem with that take it up with God, I did and found He is worth talking to about anything. Most think I am backwards, and I supose it might be true. I have a new coonhound puppy to train, a wife that is worth living for, and two boys that a man can really be proud of. I don't believe it is possible to be richer than I am right now. Funny though. I have some kin down in Atlanta that are worth more than $10 Million hear tell. They are ashamed to be seen with me, and won't even come in my house. (Which is pretty clean in my book). They think we shouldn't have guns, although I can't imagine jumping out of a tree and trying to beat a deer to death. Their son wasn't good at sports, so they got him into "Stacking", (No Idea what that is, but he won't stack hay or wood.) They got mad with me, cause they were going to trade their Yukon on an Acura because it wouldn't stay cranked and their mechanic told'em it was going to be an expensive repair. They were getting a $1,000 on trade, so I offered them $1500, and they took it. I changed the air filter, throttle body control valve, and the EGR, and it runs great. That was 100,000 miles ago, it is still running great. They think I ruined a good vehicle because I put off road tires on it. (I do actually drive on jeep trails.)

I am not a great philosopher, but I do think the key to being happy is being Thankful for what you have, and not worrying about what you don't have. I know not everyone would be happy in my life. It would be pure heck for most. But I hope that each of you find the happiness that I have found n my life.

So... What is it that makes you Thankful?

Happy Thanksgiving, and Merry Christmas.
Sixfalls.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I'd say you are one of the wealthiest people I know.

It seems that the richer people are, the more money they owe, and they are always wishing they had something that is just out of their financial reach.

I might have a few very slight differences than you, but on the whole, we are about the same.

I have 3 vehicles and one could use some work, but gets me where I need to go. My son doesn't have a $3,00 worth of the latest video games or high tech gear, but he is compassionate , thoughtful and physically active. He is witty but also smart.

My wife would rather have a 100 dollar lifestyle and have a house in the country than a million dollar lifestyle and live in Beverly Hills.

We have true love for each other and actually like each other's company versus people who like their spouses wallet or social status.

Congrats to you, you know what life is really about!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have true love for each other and actually like each other's company......
Awesome!! You are blessed!! Merry Christmas, to you and your family.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Looks like you are doing pretty good to me!

Maybe this is what they call "stacking"? I had to look it up!

That kid will make a killing on the streets of New York one day:

"Watch the ball closely okay?"

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea Darbo, That makes a more sense. When they described it to me, I must have had a look on my face, like, "you doing what? Why???". LOL.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
I'd say you're living a good life there buddy.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
You will often find that riches aren't. Everything comes with a responsibility to use it wisely. To be quite frank, do you really care what those "millionaires" think? With the Yukon as an example, they suffer from the "throw money at it" syndrome that has gotten us into the state we're in today.

I'm not rich, either. However, I have enough money to be comfortable. My remaining family is healthy, and successful, and I have grandchildren who are happy to visit with me every year. Exactly what more is there that I NEED, not want?

Happy Thanksgiving, and Merry Christmas, sir, to you and yours. :)

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
You and the family sound like the kind of folk I would love to call a friend and neighbor.

Problem with people who climb high on the ladder of life, is that they forget that they ever stepped on that first rung of the ladder. And while it may seem that the view is much better from the top of the ladder, they tend to miss the important details that can only be seen by keeping your feet on the ground.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
It sounds like you blessed with riches beyond many people's dreams ! I have seen people in my life who had very little but were grateful for what they had and some of the happiest people that I have known. Then I have also known people who had a lot more than most people but were never satisfied and always trying to get that next great thing thinking that it would make them happy but somehow it never does !The key I think is being grateful for what you have because it makes all the difference ! Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all !

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I live pretty much the same way, no payments cept the house. I grow or kill most of what I eat, heat my house 100% with wood and reload most of my CF ammo.

Just got my first post Y2K vehicle this past summer ('04 Cavalier).

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sounds like you've got life figured out, a person comes into the world with nothing and leaves with nothing , what do you gain if you have wealth and loose your soul ?
Thank you for sharing your life style with us.

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
SixFalls, you're the kind of person I'd like to shake hands with and call friend. You're the kind of folk that Jesus sought out and associated with, and I'm right there with you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us this day after Thanksgiving. God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Looks like you are doing pretty good to me!

Maybe this is what they call "stacking"? I had to look it up!
I have been called a BB stacker. Don't know about that but one time I shot 2 22 bullets into the same hole. The last one bounced back out and hit me in the forehead. No more shooting in the basement for this kid.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
As long as an individual is truly happy with their life, they are rich beyond the understanding of most.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Life is not complicated. Death is permanent. I'm thankful I can be thankful. It's been a roller coaster ride like no other from despair to ecstasy and I wouldn't trade it for all the riches in the world. In the spirit of the season I wish you all health, happiness and joy no matter your status or humble being in life. It's all subjective and is whatever one makes it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts