Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know guns are tools, and meant to be used, but....My Dad was given a S&W 38 Chief's Special in 1950. In the mid-90s , not long before he died, he gave it to me, and lo and behold- it had his initials engraved on it.
I have a compact and full-size 9mm, compact for CC and FS for bedside. I just had the compact engraved, and will give it to my only daughter (she's a shooter, too God bless her), and now ill ship the slide of the FS for the same thing.
II found an engraver online, and he is a really nice guy, does good work and did it quickly, too. Won't quote a price, but I had talked to another engraver before, and Kevin beat the price rather dramatically. So if the idea appeals to you, (I can't tell you what Dad's means to me) contact Kevin. I don't usually endorse people like this- but this time I think it's worthy.
kevin@engraver1.com

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I like some engraving.... But not 100% coverage. And it has to be good. I have seen some crap .

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I gotta be honest, man. I really hate to see names or other personal things engraved on firearms. It destroys any possible resale value, and looks tacky. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I gotta be honest, man. I really hate to see names or other personal things engraved on firearms. It destroys any possible resale value, and looks tacky. Just my opinion.
While I agree with you, in my case I could have my initials engraved on one without really bothering the value. Not all initials could say the same thing though!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I would like some simple engraving on my pistol and shotgun one day. Those are two guns that I would never get rid off. Some guns I would imagine are definite no goes when it comes to engraving. Just too valuable to chance ruining it.

CreekFisher

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The pistols I'm having done will not be re-sold, or I would agree with the bit about value. I don't particularly care for the swirly, heavy-duty engraving, but I'm sure it has its place. I'm on a new computer, but I'll try and post a pic shortly..overdone, it ain't...

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
workin on it

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Looks good! Thatll make a great gift to your daughter one day.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bud.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Some guys decorate their revolvers with a nick or notch for each killin'.

Oh, don't mind me guys, this is just not my month

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for posting the photo.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hey! I represent that remark! I had Lazy Luke engraved on the backstrap of my Ruger sixgun when I was doing cowboy action shooting. This will go to one of my grandsons when I hit the end of the trail. So if he wants to sell it, tough tiddy. lol

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
The pistols I'm having done will not be re-sold, or I would agree with the bit about value. I don't particularly care for the swirly, heavy-duty engraving, but I'm sure it has its place. I'm on a new computer, but I'll try and post a pic shortly..overdone, it ain't...
Looks good. I'm in the school of if you want it do it.

Reactions: FreedomCosts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone notice the cross on the back of the slide? There was a minimum fee for engraving, and he said 3 intials didn't cost enough- so I said 'stick a cross on the back..'

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Anyone notice the cross on the back of the slide? There was a minimum fee for engraving, and he said 3 intials didn't cost enough- so I said 'stick a cross on the back..'
Sure did, looks nice.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
All this talk of engraving makes me wonder if anyone makes replacement slides without factory engraving on it... I know what kind of gun I have, I don't want.to share the info with every person who looks at. Trust me, I will brag on the Taurus on my own. I would just like a blank slide on my pt140 so I could maybe add some personal engraving without it looking crowded.

CreekFisher

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya know you can add as little or as much as you like. I didn't want a buncha stuff, so just the initials and the cross. I've seen the collector guns with full swirly engraving- if I could afford a Les Baer, to put on display, maybe I'd do it. but I'm a workin' man, can't afford enough guns as TOOLS, so sure can't afford display pieces.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I personally don't care for engraving. I can see how it could add personal value to a family heirloom while at the same time decreasing the monetary resale value. Looks like a catch 22 to me.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no catch if you're the family

Reactions: chicharrones
1 - 20 of 20 Posts