Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mil G2 9mm is my first striker fired pistol. As with anything new I buy I read the manual cover to cover, and it clearly states NOT to dry fire this weapon. But if a round has already been loaded into the chamber, and I eject the mag and clear the round from the chamber, how else are you gonna decock it? Am i wrong?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Page 17 of the manual.
Push the safety lever DOWN to decock the pistol.
On mine it is push the safety lever UP past the safe position.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it need to read the manual again. In my defense it was about 11:30pm last night. It took forever the get the packing grease out of it!

Reactions: RevLouM

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
That is the one thing I did not have to do with my pistol, clean out the gunk.
The LGS I bought it from does the cleaning to every gun before it goes on sale.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well she's done been frog lubed now and working smooth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taurus10, I'll verify this evening and report back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so back to not dry firing. To field strip, the trigger has to be in DA mode, and to do that you have to drop the mag, cycle the slide to empty the chamber, and pull the trigger. So how bad is this when the manual clearly states not too?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Why dry fire when live fire is soooooooo much more fun? ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Plus one on this!

Here's a video on a way, albeit not recommended, to decock a PT 111 Pro.
Wow, not quite sure I'd recommend. Assuming that's just letting the pin hit part of the case that is not the primer, or generating a gap so the pin doesn't hit the case/primer at all. That's one of those "good to know, don't try it" scenarios.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dry firing with snap caps is good trigger practice and fail to fire practice. Trigger practice to learn how to and maintain proper trigger pull on the cheap and the fail to fire practice helps with learning to rack before it happens in a stressful situation. The snap caps help to protect the firing system, though I've seen enough arguments that pure dry fire is not harmful to center fire firearms (I have snap caps for all my pistols).

·
Administrator
35,787 Posts
I'm not sure what the big deal about decocking is. With the 24/7 Pro G2, the gun is immediately in double action (DA) mode and you would only have to decock if you stopped after firing the first shot and wanted DA pull again for some reason.

If you want a gun that you can decock, buy a G2 or an OSS or a DS - not a Mil Pro or regular 24/7 Pro. It just doesn't do it, and trying to decock it by any means is a dangerous proposition. If it's that important to you, you shouldn't own one that doesn't have a decock lever.

Reactions: tcox4freedom
1 - 20 of 21 Posts