Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between a Ruger SR40 or a Beretta PX4 Storm in .40

Does anyone have experience with either? They both seem like solid guns with great reviews. I've seen a few people rave about the SR22, and I was wondering if the SR40 was anywhere as close to quality.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to try either of those guns, yet I'm sure I'd like either one of them.

The one thing that would make me choose the Ruger over the Beretta would be the safety location and the direction the safety moves. If I have a manual safety, I prefer it on the frame and that it sweeps down. JMO. :)

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I can only get close to an answer to your question. I have the PX4, fullsize, 9mm and it is a fantastic pistol. It has a few thousand reliable rounds through it from range use and competition use. If I had the money I would like to have the same pistol in .45acp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im definitely looking for something that wont beat my hand up at the range like my PT740 does. I would like to be able to fire 100+ rounds so that I could get some good practice in.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I used to own a Beretta PX4 Storm chambered in .40SW. The only reason I sold it was that I got out of .40 SW.

The Beretta PX4 full size with rotating barrel radially dissipates a portion of the recoil energy, reducing perceived recoil. Since its not based on a Browning tilt action, the barrel behaves more fixed barrel-ish. Rounds from the magazine feed almost directly inline with the chamber, reducing the probability of a failure to feed occurrence. The exterior Brunitron finish is Teflon slick and makes for easy cleaning.

All of this makes gives the PX4 full size the inherent capability to be very accurate combat pistol. The PX4 Storm chambered for .40 S&W is the softest shooting pistol chambered for .40S&W I have ever shot.

My only gripes with the pistol are the stock safety levers. They don't sit flush to slide. The levers flare out towards the muzzle. If your hand slips while power stroking the slide, they'll get bit by the flared ends of the safety lever.

·
Registered
698 Posts
.40 S&W is a good compromise round. Faster than a .45ACP, heavier than a 9mm. IMO, if you're the type that wants to only support a single caliber, .40 S&W is it. Get a PX4 and a CX4 in the same caliber and mag configuration, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have one 9mm, and one .40. I'm not particularly happy with the .40 that I have now so I was going to trade it off and go for something else. I like having different calibers available, especially ones that are so readily available (except for now of course lol).

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
.40 S&W is a good compromise round. Faster than a .45ACP, heavier than a 9mm. IMO, if you're the type that wants to only support a single caliber, .40 S&W is it. Get a PX4 and a CX4 in the same caliber and mag configuration, and you're good to go.
You sold a gun that you like - because you ran out of ammo?!

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
They are both good guns at a similar price point.

Beretta's tend to have better resale value.

However, so far as ergonomics is concerned, the Ruger fits my hand better.

So if "I" had to chose one to carry, I'd go with the Ruger.:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sold a gun that you like - because you ran out of ammo?!
I believe he means that he got out of using the caliber altogether.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
well I am a devote PX4 lover!
its my carry pistol out of many weapons that i own.
I did go with the SC model due to its 3 inch barrel and shorter overall height and its a 9MM.
I have shot a few Compact and full sized Px4's both in 9 Mm and 40, they are simply tack drivers for me.
many of the things already mentioned i echo, the rotating barrel locks up precisely the same every time, this adds to accuracy and does seem to reduce recoil as well, the fact that it has adjustable backstraps to fit ones hands helps a great bit as well.
add to this a large line of accessories from holsters to adjustable sights from Beretta at reasonable prices as well as a large seelction from aftermarket makes it a hard to beat pistola in my mind.
Now I to do not particualrly like the thumb safety position(typical beretta) but they have a built in decoker and what i do is decock the weapon and carry it double action with safety off myself.
and yes it does come double action only, or at least it did!
they make several versions of the PX4 designated by letters-A model, c model, f model etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I am a devote PX4 lover!
its my carry pistol out of many weapons that i own.
I did go with the SC model due to its 3 inch barrel and shorter overall height and its a 9MM.
I have shot a few Compact and full sized Px4's both in 9 Mm and 40, they are simply tack drivers for me.
many of the things already mentioned i echo, the rotating barrel locks up precisely the same every time, this adds to accuracy and does seem to reduce recoil as well, the fact that it has adjustable backstraps to fit ones hands helps a great bit as well.
add to this a large line of accessories from holsters to adjustable sights from Beretta at reasonable prices as well as a large seelction from aftermarket makes it a hard to beat pistola in my mind.
Now I to do not particualrly like the thumb safety position(typical beretta) but they have a built in decoker and what i do is decock the weapon and carry it double action with safety off myself.
and yes it does come double action only, or at least it did!
they make several versions of the PX4 designated by letters-A model, c model, f model etc.
Have you shot the compact? That's the one that I seem to be most interested in. I was curious what the difference between the compact and the full size are. Also, I see you have the snapgrip on the bottom of your sc mag. Does it help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I have the PX4 in 9. Feels good in my hands and I got it at a good price, and cashed in on Berettas $ 50 rebate.

I have not fired the gun and will probably do so in the next month or so. However, the one thing I hear from most people is the recoil and how easy it is to handle.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Have you shot the compact? That's the one that I seem to be most interested in. I was curious what the difference between the compact and the full size are. Also, I see you have the snapgrip on the bottom of your sc mag. Does it help?
Thanks.
Yep! as noted in my post , I have shot the compact and full size in 9MM and 40 cal.
as someone mentioned earlier it was the easiest recoiling 40 caliber that i have shot.
the difference in the compact and the full size is only barrel length to my knowledge and honestly from accuracy with the ones that i have shot there is no difference.
the snap grip on the magzine only comes on the SC (sub compact) not on the compact or full size but beretta sales them ( i think 6 bucks each.
the SC has a shorter grip frame than the other two and some people like the extra finger room, as it comes down or goes up easily if you want it then its there , if not then its gone.
I think a very good feature for really all manufactures of sub compact pistols to put on the magazine floor plates.
I have used it both ways really see no difference in performance, it usually remains up.
the guns have ambi safties, decocker, ncie dual bar triggers,bruniton finish that nothing sticks to, easy disassembly, good sights, lots of gun for 500 bucks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep! as noted in my post , I have shot the compact and full size in 9MM and 40 cal.
as someone mentioned earlier it was the easiest recoiling 40 caliber that i have shot.
the difference in the compact and the full size is only barrel length to my knowledge and honestly from accuracy with the ones that i have shot there is no difference.
the snap grip on the magzine only comes on the SC (sub compact) not on the compact or full size but beretta sales them ( i think 6 bucks each.
the SC has a shorter grip frame than the other two and some people like the extra finger room, as it comes down or goes up easily if you want it then its there , if not then its gone.
I think a very good feature for really all manufactures of sub compact pistols to put on the magazine floor plates.
I have used it both ways really see no difference in performance, it usually remains up.
the guns have ambi safties, decocker, ncie dual bar triggers,bruniton finish that nothing sticks to, easy disassembly, good sights, lots of gun for 500 bucks.
This really just puts the lock on it right here...this is the gun I want. I'm going to go around tomorrow and try and find one in town, to see if I can hold it and make sure it's what I want. I have a couple of guns to sell before I'm able to buy, but after that I've completely decided on the Beretta.

Thanks for all of your help guys, this definitely wasn't an easy decision, but I can honestly say that from all of your testimonies and answers that I am making the right choice.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
well we expect pictures when you get it, a range report is nice as well.
The job may be finding one in stock anywhere they way gun sales are going right now.
good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts