Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a gun show today. Amongst all the high priced stuff they were entirely too proud of, I found this Mk 2 Ruger. I've been wanting one, though not necessarily with a scope. But, this one has a 30 dollar mount and a cheap BSA 2x20 LER scope on it. He's going to send me the rear sight in case I decide to do that.

I have a Rossi M511 kit gun and an NAA, only other decent quality .22s I own, but don't fit the same niche, though the Rossi is quite accurate. I have a 10" scoped barrel for my TC Contender, but it's not an autoloader. I just sorta wanted a quality .22 auto and this is my EIGHTH Ruger, which is kinda cool. :D I have this Ramline Exactor that was hyped by the mags when it came out. Shoots okay with CCI, but it's kinda a POS. LOL This Ruger is much better.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Native, this is a great pistol. I have a Mark II with the bull barrel and it is an absolute tack driver. You will get great enjoyment with it. The only draw back that I have found is the magazines are a pain to load. I have seet several loaders on the net that allow you to insert the mag. When you withdraw it, it is completely loaded. Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Well done NativeTexan, I think you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of that little beauty. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were new ones there for a little over 300, 320 to 330 range. I gave 275 for this one with the scope and mounts.

WOW! Well, I have a new favorite .22 now. Made a range trip despite the weather. Hardest part of that was getting my gold wing down that rutted muddy road, bout dumped it once. Anyway, I just HAD to try it out, tired of waiting.

At 25 yards, I put Federal Lightening bulk pack into 1/2" for five shots. Same for CCI Minimag, but stinger was a one hole group! Didn't take any other ammo to try, though I do have some RWS Target somewhere. At 50, still dead on, so must be an apogee between 25 and 50 due to scope height. Stinger shot sub 2" off the bench with no bags for support, just hand held over the bench as in the field if I were shooting at a squirrel. My Contender is a little more accurate, but this thing is way accurate enough for squirrel hunting and super fun to shoot. We have these 6" falling plates at 25. With my Rossi, I can hit 6 of 6 off hand if I concentrate. With the Ruger, it's not a matter of hitting the plate, it's of fast you can get on each one and mow 'em down. WOW, what fun! I'm keepin' the scope on it, will just shoot the Rossi when I want irons, LOL. I also noticed with the Rossi, I had to aim for the top of the plate to take it down. The ruger gets more velocity, I reckon, though I didn't take my chronograph today. With Stingers in the Ruger, it don't matter WHERE I hit the plate, it's goin' down. But, lightening brought 'em down more reliably with a good hit than from the Rossi.

I had two failures to fire of the Federal, and one in the Rossi. It's the ammo, stuff sometimes fails to cap. I have a couple of guns that just flat refuse to fire that stuff and get lots of failures. My 10/22 doesn't particularly like it and my Exactor hates it. My NAA mini doesn't complain with it, guess it's got a wider firing pin or something.

Anyway, no failures to feed or eject. First one off the top of the magazine, can't just hit the slide release, have to pull the bolt back all the way and release it for the round to go in, but it goes and never stops feeding til the bolt locks back.

I fired several hundred rounds just havin' a blast, shooting groups, plinking, shooting off my shooting sticks as if squirrel hunting, etc and 50 through my .45 Colt, but a customer called and wanted to bring an ATV by for me, so I had to head home before I was tired of shooting.

I haven't tried to strip this thing. I'm going to have to google that when it comes time, heard it's a PITA. But, I'll just clean it assembled for now.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Call Ruger and get a manual. You're going to want one. I still need mine to get my 22/45 back together.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I got pointed to and bookmarked that link and a youtube link vid of the procedure. I'm a mechanic, but am intimidated by the thought of doing this already. ROFL!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love my 22/45! Mine is wearing a red-dot right now :) Get a loader, mine is orange. You just shake it to orient the rounds. Slide in mag, boom full!
Enjoy her!

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've burned through over 500 rounds in it now and nary a hiccup. :D Typical Ruger, just keeps on runnin'. I did some 50 yard shooting off sticks and from a post brace, sort of barricade position, simulating a tree trunk in the field. I was killin' that squirrel every shot at 50 yards. :D I ain't got tired of shootin' it, put it that way. LOL

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Ruger MkII! I've had a 4 inch Standard Barreled one for years! Great Shooter and very reliable! You'll get used to their Field Stripping after a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts