Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok folks here we go! I'll be interested to see how many people have suitable weather to get out and do some shooting. I still like the no rules idea. It seems to work well and I like the variety. If you have a specific challenge in mind please feel free to add it to the thread.

Scoutfish, other new shooters, here's your chance. Shoot some targets and post them. You can use whatever method of measurement you have available. Just measure center of target to center of farthest hole, "far shot". Then measure from center to center of 2 holes farthest apart, "group". Then add the 2 numbers. List things like yardage, gun, ammo, scope, iron sites, that sort of stuff. Main thing is just shoot and have some fun!

Dang the snow, full speed ahead!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
OK!
First to post!
Mid 60's today, a bit of a breeze, but from my back, so punched some paper with the Mosin at 50 yards.
Shot about 30 rounds at 6 targets over yesterday and today.

Bench with sandbags front support, scope 5X.
150gr. FMJBT .308", 43.6gr. IMR4320, OAL 2.850", Rem. 9-1/2 LRP or maybe CCI200 LRP (mixed together), could be either one.
Best one.
12-2-2014 Target 4-1.jpg
Group - 1.640"
Far Shot - .929"
Score - 2.569

70 or so tomorrow, will get out and shoot Casper at 50 yards.
Going to try to get all 5 shots in a .5" circle.

P.S. Ran out of printer ink. Hand drawing targets for awhile.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
6 targets today with SHTF ammo, 55gr. FMJBT M193 bullets, some kind of powder, OAL 2.200"
(Hey, I didn't keep track of each batch's powder, just loaded what I had for 3000FPS by the book. 1000+ rounds)
Darbo HAS to have magical powers, or maybe a 20" 1-8 twist barrel.
Anyway, today's results suck!
Not even going to score them, just post, they don't count.
Later this month I'll get some 52gr. BTHP.
3/4" circle.
Bench/bipod, 10X. Casper.
12-3-2014 Target 123.jpg
12-3-2014 Target 456.jpg

Target #5, middle. Best one, so I'll score it.
Group - 1.563"
Far Shot - .913"
Score - 2.476

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6 targets today with SHTF ammo, 55gr. FMJBT M193 bullets, some kind of powder, OAL 2.200"
(Hey, I didn't keep track of each batch's powder, just loaded what I had for 3000FPS by the book. 1000+ rounds)
Darbo HAS to have magical powers, or maybe a 20" 1-8 twist barrel.
Anyway, today's results suck!
Not even going to score them, just post, they don't count.
Later this month I'll get some 52gr. BTHP.
3/4" circle.
Bench/bipod, 10X. Casper.
View attachment 102467
View attachment 102468

Target #5, middle. Best one, so I'll score it.
Group - 1.563"
Far Shot - .913"
Score - 2.476
I know you know how to load your own cartridges but I have to ask if that is a typo in your OAL, 2.200? That seems kind of short. Is there any of the cannelure still showing above the case mouth? I'm assuming you are trimming your cases to 1.750?

I'm loading my M193 to an OAL of 2.260+ with a 1.750+ case length. That puts the case mouth right about the middle of the cannelure. But then again I may be doing it wrong!

I don't think I have any magical powers! If I did I'd use them to pick the winning lotto numbers! I had a few other good targets but I threw them out once I posted the best one.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Hornady book says 2.200" for 55gr. FMJBT.
Cases trimmed to 1.75" or 44.46mm +-.02mm.
Decapped, full length sized, trimmed and polished.
The page got cut off at the top, but the OAL is the same for any 55gr.
SN851996.JPG
And it does hide the cannelure.

SN852919.JPG SN852925.JPG SN852920.JPG
Unloaded case.
Already fired, so bullet just slides in.
This is what the book says and what you do.
I have 30 empty cases now so will get them ready and load up at your 2.260" and see if any better.
2.240" is halfway on the cannelure.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I have the Hornady 9th edition and I see what you have in your picture. So now, if you have the 9th, go to page 54 and read about seating depth and the cannelure. I see a definite contradiction in the concept of seating depth. I don't see how by using a cartridge length of 1.750 and leave part of the cannelure visible going to a seat of 2.200.

I also use Lyman's 49th and that is where I get the OAL of 2.260 using Accurate 2230.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I don't actually have the book.
That pic is one I took of the Hornady Book at Bass Pro, which is why part of the page is missing.
I'm too cheap to pay $40 for a few pages of info on 3 different calibers.
I did one at 2.260" and the case just touches the bottom of the cannelure.
SN852927.JPG
You think maybe 2.240" and crimp would help?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Hmmm, wondering if this fits in the Rifle or the Pistol category for shootouts?

Even if is shooting a pistol caliber - I just don't see it being a challenge at 7 and 15 yds!! You?!?!
BTW - what IS it chambered to shoot?!?!

You've seen the vids of the guys shooting the Sig brace as a short 'stock' - eh?!?! :D

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't actually have the book.
That pic is one I took of the Hornady Book at Bass Pro, which is why part of the page is missing.
I'm too cheap to pay $40 for a few pages of info on 3 different calibers.
I did one at 2.260" and the case just touches the bottom of the cannelure.
View attachment 102498
You think maybe 2.240" and crimp would help?
Sure give it a try.

Heck you have me second guessing my measurements. Let me get my calipers out!

Ok I used both a digital and a dial caliper! I'm satisfied with the results. Here is page 54 of the Hornady 9th that I was talking about.

View attachment 102501

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ok I have the Hornady 9th edition and I see what you have in your picture. So now, if you have the 9th, go to page 54 and read about seating depth and the cannelure. I see a definite contradiction in the concept of seating depth. I don't see how by using a cartridge length of 1.750 and leave part of the cannelure visible going to a seat of 2.200.

I also use Lyman's 49th and that is where I get the OAL of 2.260 using Accurate 2230.
2.260 is the max that a .223 AR mag will hold - some composite mags come up a bit short of that (thicker walls) - metal mags will generally be on the generous size or meet the 2.260" max.

I have a pet load that does not fill the case and Alliant recommends a 2.25" MINIMUM OAL - room to play. I also shoot cases that float in the sweet spot between the cut length (1.750") and then trim length (1.760") - no crimp - case wall tension holds the bullet fine - NOT so in 300 BLK with the heavier bullet and wider case mouth.

Alliant Power Pro Varmint is a dense ball powder and the 24.5 gr load leaves room as I mentioned:

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I have just enough BL-C(2) left to do about 35 rounds at 26gr. each for ~3000FPS.
I'll have then ready in an hour or so to shoot tomorrow.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just enough BL-C(2) left to do about 35 rounds at 26gr. each for ~3000FPS.
I'll have then ready in an hour or so to shoot tomorrow.
I think you'll find seating at a depth, like what you have now, that's in the middle of the cannelure will help. With Mingaa's post I may seat mine a tiny bit deeper to 2.255 or so just to make sure I don't exceed the max and have problems.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Even if is shooting a pistol caliber - I just don't see it being a challenge at 7 and 15 yds!! You?!?!
BTW - what IS it chambered to shoot?!?!

You've seen the vids of the guys shooting the Sig brace as a short 'stock' - eh?!?! :D
Hahaha, I was thinking it might raise a stink if I entered it in the Pistol shootout.. :rolleyes:

Chambered in .223 Wylde and although I've tried the brace as a brace I can honestly say the velco won't be undone again by me.

Imgur pics and description here. Wife has had foot surgery, so free time to shoot is limited but I'm going to try tomorrow and get it zeroed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Gosh, ya know you could save a lot of money and just use an ACE Bandage to strap it to your arm.
Strapping it to my shoulder would be tough.... Wife tried the ace bandage thing for a nose bleed I had once and I learned my lesson quickly!

I think this might just be step 1 of my suppressed SBR journey.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
OK, darbo, I got 30 rounds loaded up.
SN852929.JPG
Will draw up a few targets and see how they shoot in the morning.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, darbo, I got 30 rounds loaded up.
View attachment 102520
Will draw up a few targets and see how they shoot in the morning.
I look forward to the results. It does appear that I'm pushing the max length a little and may seat them a tiny bit deeper...maybe .005 or something like that. Do you use any crimp at all? I do just a very, very small amount, almost nothing really.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Didn't help. Only conclusion I can come to is my barrel does not like generic M193 bullets.
I know it isn't me or the rifle, 'cause y'all have seen the targets with the Nosler or Hornady BTHP bullets.
I'll just have to buy some more Match bullets and powder. Getting low on LRP also.
12-4-2014 Target 12-1.jpg
Left target.
Group - 1.380"
Far Shot - 1.311"
Score - 2.691

1 - 20 of 132 Posts