Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

INTRO:

This MONTHLY PISTOL SHOOTOUT is open to ALL Taurus Armed forum members.
-Targets and results can be submitted to this thread any time throughout the competition month.
-ANY target may be used - the only requirement is a defined center - a dot or an "X" is all you need.
-Creativity is encouraged!
-Only one target per class will be counted BUT if a second try yields a better result - submit it and that will count as your entry.
-Entrants can shoot as many or few categories as they wish - shoot one or shoot 'em all it is up to you and your ammo supply!
-The use of TAURUS products is highly encouraged in all classes but is not required.

RULE: ALL distances are to be shot standing, two handed, strong side. Again, you choose the target!
** this rule is NOW modified & effective immediately (12/10/14) - shooters may chose any safe standing stance that suits them.

CLASSES:
- 7 yard Classes
Cat. #1 - Caliber .17 or .22, rim fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, any barrel length. 5 shots, ANY target
Cat. #2 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be 4.5” or under. 5 shots, ANY target
Cat. #3 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be OVER 4.5”. 5 shots, ANY target
Cat #2a "The CZs of TA" the same rules as Cat #2 BUT THE GUN USED must be a CZ ONLY, large or small - shoot 'em all!!! (December Special!) - The guns have a great reputation as shooters - come on in forum members!!
- participants can shoot more than one gun in this category - 1 target per gun will be scored. Bring 'em all & submit your best targets 1 per gun! (PM me if you have questions)

- 15 yard Classes
Cat. #4 - Caliber .17 or .22, rim fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights - any barrel length - 5 shots, ANY target
Cat. #5 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be 4.5” or under - 5 shots, ANY target
Cat. #6 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrels over 4.5” - 5 shots, ANY target

*NOTE: as of 6/2/14 laser sights are permitted in all classes without restriction.

HOW TO SCORE:
Post a picture (or scan) of the target you want to submit with the measurement below - use calipers, a ruler or use the FREE version of "On Target".
OnTarget FREE software. >>>> On Target Download <<<< download here (a great tool!).

1) Post the size measurement of the 5 shot group and
2) the far shot flyer distance from center of the target and
3) add the two numbers - this number is your total SCORE.

Measure all shots from center-to-center.

ALSO: Post the model and caliber of the handgun and ammo used (WITH an image please).

Questions: PM me OR refer to past month's results

* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *

CLASS WINNERS will be posted for each class with ALL competitors’ scores also listed in descending order.

All entries must be submitted by midnight SUNDAY JANUARY 4th 2015!! (shoot through the weekend!)
Scores will be posted ASAP.

*Obviously being the internet, this is an "honor system" competition for fun. Shot group measurements on the target whether by ruler, calipers, or software is required as is the measurement of the farthest shot from center.
*Post photos of the gun(s) used in the shootout. Range shots are appreciated (not required) for fun and local color!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cat #2 & 5 Ruger SR 40c

Been working on the Ruger to feel better carrying it - I put 100 rounds through it today know the POA now and also did some action shooting. It's working.

With cold weather here (and the OTHER social 'climate' lingering in StL) I have been looking to do more than pocket 9s.

Cat #2 - 7 yds standing
Ruger SR40c (3.5" barrel)
Federal 40 S&W 180 FMJFN
group 1.196"
far shot .876"
SCORE 2.072"

Cat #5 - 15 yds standing
Ruger SR40c (3.5" barrel)
Federal 40 S&W 180 FMJFN
group 1.330"
far shot .978"
SCORE 2.308"

At the range with the 15 +1 mag

The 9 +1 mag with pinkie extension (carries OWB well WITH a good grip)
*stolen photo

9 +1 without pinkie extension - carries well but a bit lacking in grip for a 40 S&W and a large hand :eek:
*stolen photo #2

I ran some factory ammo - a bit hotter than powder puff comp loads - a nod to the 'street' - didn't have time to load hot fmj reloads to simulate SD ammo. That can be next I suppose!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
OK, catergory 2 A , as I understand the rules?
not sure I have this down exactly right but here is the results.
5 shot group measured center to center is 1.185, 4 shot group as .755 (throwing out the worse shot), the far from center was 1.00 inch,all measured by caliper.
SO group size is 1.0925???
Group size 1.185, farthrest from center is 1.000 =2.185 divide by 2 = 1.0925?
nearest to center was.500
CZ SP-01 tactical 9 MM.
Considerations: shot indoors the lighting as bad, There was a vicious crosswind blowing from the ventilation system, it was cold as they had on the air conditioning, I didn't clean my eye glasses, there was a very nice looking young lady in the next lane with a low cut blouse, I had the hiccups.
2 targets posted, both the same just different views to help with the scoring.
IF I didn't score it right feel free to correct it for me.
Update!!
OK I figured out how we were figuring the score now I think, so its group size 1.185 plus the fartherest from the center 1.000 so my score is 2.185??
enjoyed it guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Finally decided to give the 24/7 some range time.
Cat. #3
First I tried LRN since I have about 1100 of them.
Best of the 3 targets.
12-5-2014 Target 1-1.jpg
Nice group, too far up and left. Forget it.
Next I tried some HP, had about 60 or so.
Disclosure: It took 4 targets to do this. The others weren't bad, just kept getting one in the 9 ring.
12-5-2014 Target 2-1.jpg
Group - 1.678"
Far Shot - .920"
Score - 2.598

SN850436.JPG

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Category #2 - Do not use, better one later.
Glock 30SF Gen 3
Federal FMJ
Group: 1.171"
Far: 1.068"
Total: 2.239"

View attachment 102851

Love this thing! I have no doubt I could put one big hole in a middle of a target at ease with little effort, however I won't because the ammo is expensive. It may not be a "target" gun, but it's not bad. My favorite buy thus far.

View attachment 102852

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally decided to give the 24/7 some range time.
Cat. #3
First I tried LRN since I have about 1100 of them.
Best of the 3 targets.
View attachment 102757
Nice group, too far up and left. Forget it.
Next I tried some HP, had about 60 or so.
Disclosure: It took 4 targets to do this. The others weren't bad, just kept getting one in the 9 ring.
View attachment 102760
Group - 1.678"
Far Shot - .920"
Score - 2.598

View attachment 102762
The number of targets that you can shoot is NOT limited.

If this was one target only bulls eye we would have a WHOLE different 'look'!! :cool:

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Category #2
Glock 30SF Gen 3
Federal FMJ
Group: 1.171"
Far: 1.068"
Total: 2.239"

View attachment 102851

Love this thing! I have no doubt I could put one big hole in a middle of a target at ease with little effort, however I won't because the ammo is expensive. It may not be a "target" gun, but it's not bad. My favorite buy thus far.

View attachment 102852
Maybe I'll avoid the 'usual suspects' this month - been a while since I shot the G41!
I only have the one 22 LR pistol though...;)

Reactions: 88keys and darbo

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I admit I am not a revolver person, but I had to try out Mr88key's latest acquisition, his matching Uberti to his other one for his cowboy shooting. He got a steal on it at $440! It looks and shoots just like the other one. With a little practice I'm sure I could manage to get my group a little closer to the target center, probably won't though, lol. These are very nice.

Category #3 - don't count this one, better one later!
Uberti 1873 El Patron 5.5"
Magtech .38 LRN
Group: .957"
Far: 1.715"
Total: 2.672"

View attachment 102856

View attachment 102857

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Why must all entries be shot 2 handed? Why is 1 handed disallowed?
Good point - I will amend this month's rules and change the wording going forward. Shooters should be able to use the stance that they like and shoot the best!

DONE & effective immediately!!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Glock 41 Cat. #3 & 6 with 45 ACP

Cat #3
7 yds standing
Glock 41
Federal Am. Eagle 45 ACP 230 FMJRN
group .734"
far shot .686"
SCORE 1.410"

Cat #6
15 yds standing
Glock 41
Federal Am. 45 ACP Eagle 230 FMJRN
group 1.225"
far shot .865"
SCORE 2.080"

Reactions: 88keys and darbo

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Nice grouping with a big old 451 Boolet!
I am heading to the range tomorrow hopefully with one of my 1911-38 Supers so I may have another entry, IF you don't see it then you know I had a bad day at the dark, windy, cold indoor range.

Reactions: mingaa and darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice grouping with a big old 451 Boolet!
I am heading to the range tomorrow hopefully with one of my 1911-38 Supers so I may have another entry, IF you don't see it then you know I had a bad day at the dark, windy, cold indoor range.
Yeah - in that first target i knew that there were 5 shots in there somewhere - they removed a good bit of paper so I just did my best to map out the group size - some of the middle is a mystery!! :eek:

Reactions: olfarhors and darbo
1 - 20 of 51 Posts