Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title explains I'm debating getting into shotgun reloading. I know a little bit about reloading, but not enough to know if it'll be worth it. I'm not looking at any fancy loaders, probably just a Lee load all for 12ga. I see they run between $50-60, shot is around $50, wads around $10, and primers around $50 depending on quantity. Right now I have three old clay boxes filled with 12ga hulls so I set on that front. So far that's $160ish investment, plus I have to price out powder, and what kind of powder as well. I'd probably only need to make #8 loads for trap, and maybe #6 for field, but honestly I could take a grouse just as easily with an #8. So anyways my question is is it worth it from a price perspective to get into this when I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a box of shells for as cheap as $4.74? Any feedback is welcome.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Cheaper to buy factory fresh for 12 or 20 gauge. Now, I have an MEC reloader for 10 gauge. Don't shoot that much of it, but it saves quite a bit when T steel is running 30 bucks a box of 25. I can load it for around 10. I just buy factory for the 12s and 20s.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheaper to buy factory fresh for 12 or 20 gauge. Now, I have an MEC reloader for 10 gauge. Don't shoot that much of it, but it saves quite a bit when T steel is running 30 bucks a box of 25. I can load it for around 10. I just buy factory for the 12s and 20s.
I didn't want to hear that, but I kind of expected it. I'd jus hate to see all these hulls go to waste after collecting them from a couple big days at the lake trap shooting. I was hoping for a new hobby to keep me busy during the winter.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I'm a hunter, so promotional Wallyworld ammo works for me. Avid clay shooters like to load for consistency of pattern, another reason to reload. Any Winchester AA costs more'n the promotional stuff. Ain't for me, but it MIGHT be for you even if you don't save much with it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I didn't want to hear that, but I kind of expected it. I'd jus hate to see all these hulls go to waste after collecting them from a couple big days at the lake trap shooting. I was hoping for a new hobby to keep me busy during the winter.
Get a clear Christmas light set, push the crimp inward and insert the light through the crimp. Then you have a set of shotgun Christmas lights for the tree or porch.

Maloy

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
There is more to loading shotgun shell than folks think. Every hull is different, bases and base wad height varies greatly among shot shell hulls which requires a different wad. Most AA Shooters load only Win AA, or Fed Gold Metal or Remington Premium hulls that they can load easily without having to buy several different wads. I load only Win AA for my Skeet/Sporting Clay loads. I can also load field and heavy field loads with the same AA hulls by using a different wad/powder combo. A lot of folks think that "High Brass" in needed for heavy field loads "not true" and why factory loads do this is a mystery to me. I've been loading my shotshells for over 55 years and enjoy doing so. It is true now that components have gone sky high that you can buy promo loads for light field and target and most likely save money but I still like to tailor my loads to what I'm shooting at.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If $5 a box promo shotgun ammo will fill your shooting needs, then you'll never save money reloading your own shot shells. But you'll have lots of fun.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I used to buy 00 buckshot at Walmart when I bought my first shotgun, of course I got carried away and I probably have about 500 rounds of 00 buck and maybe 200 rounds of slugs. I think I'm set on shotgun ammo. :D

I say more power to you though, I just don't have the time to pick up something like that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like to stay in practice for hunting by shooting clay's at the cabin. I've had a few different throwers now from a old hand spring loaded one, to a 3/4 cock do-all. This last weekend I stumbled onto a steal of a deal on a brand new champion wheelybird auto thrower for only $125, normally $275. Just in testing it I already ran through 75 rounds and now that i have access to a machine that can be operated alone I could definitely see myself shooting more often. I have just been buying the cheap Federal #8 multi purpose load shells but if I could shave anything off the price I might consider reloading. Sounds like I might ne best off with just buying the factory new ammo, maybe I'll find someone I can give the hulls to so that I won't just be throwing them out.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
Wally World has a box of Federal and maybe even Winchester, not sure how many are in the box but it's a lot, I think it's 7.5 shot and the box is $20. It would keep me busy for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I like to stay in practice for hunting by shooting clay's at the cabin. I've had a few different throwers now from a old hand spring loaded one, to a 3/4 cock do-all. This last weekend I stumbled onto a steal of a deal on a brand new champion wheelybird auto thrower for only $125, normally $275. Just in testing it I already ran through 75 rounds and now that i have access to a machine that can be operated alone I could definitely see myself shooting more often. I have just been buying the cheap Federal #8 multi purpose load shells but if I could shave anything off the price I might consider reloading. Sounds like I might ne best off with just buying the factory new ammo, maybe I'll find someone I can give the hulls to so that I won't just be throwing them out.
I'd like to get a fancy auto tosser where I can stand off to one side and push a button for crossing shots. I bought a cheap trap and set it up in the yard. The thing gets hard on the back cocking it constantly and I'd have to get the wife to pull it (not going to happen) for those crossing shots. Doves don't fly strait, though, and the lead varies. Practice with clay birds helps, but you have to know you're going to have to adjust to the birds when the time comes.

I shoot 7.5s on doves, 20 gauge. The promotional stuff works great. I have no complaints. I'm not an Olympic trap shooter or something. I just kill and eat birds. :D I'll generally go through 4 or 5 boxes on a good opening weekend, but last year was slow and I have plenty ammo for this year. I'll be headed out next weekend. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a grouse hunter myself. Someday I have to get somewhere either west or south to get into some pheasants or doves.

·
Super Moderator
40,653 Posts
As mentioned, so many variables in shot gun loading. If all your hulls were the same brand and you can find load data for them then the cost to reload them may not be so bad considering it is giving you a hobby for the off season. Now if you don't have the time then I would say don't bother. If you have the time and the other variables fall in place, I'd say go for it even if it cost an extra penny or two each. Keeping the mind & body busy with an interesting hobby is worth the little extra cost.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I'm a grouse hunter myself. Someday I have to get somewhere either west or south to get into some pheasants or doves.
Well, I really LOVE waterfowling. I'm getting too old and infirm to go stomping down muddy trails to a good pothole at the WMA, but I do have my canoe to hunt the lake with. I'm going to attempt it this coming season as I've been going to doctors and getting things straight and getting a little stronger. We'll see how it goes. Of course, I duck hunt with my 12s and shoot steel shot required by law. Steel his higher dollar, but limits are lower on ducks and ducks are easier to hit, so I often shoot one for every 2 shots on ducks. That don't often happen on doves. :rofl: I have enough steel shot stashed for five or six seasons, anyway.

My best bud from college years lives north of Waco and has about 400 acres of decent dove hunting. He has one field, was his dad's and he's inherited it, that's fantastic hunting. There's grain fields around it, a good tank, and a creek the doves use as a highway. We've had some epic hunts there. First year we hunted together was 1971 when we were freshmen. It's sort of a tradition now. He just had a bout with cancer, had his prostate removed. I'm a little worried about his health. He just got out of surgery and can't lift more'n 10 lbs, but I'll help him with his stuff and his shotgun, a Daly O/U, is well under 10 lbs. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Another thought, but most promotional ammo now days, the brass isn't brass, it's steel. That's not a good thing for the reloader. Hulls like the Winchester AA use brass and they can be reloaded a for a lot more times.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
you will have to price the components out but as mentioned IF you are loading 20 or 12 gauge I doubt if it would be worth the time or labor to do it.
around here shot is expensive due to weight and shipping ( I know of no local place to buy shot), primers are fair amount as well.
there are some pretty good deals on factory loads in the common gauges.
many of the pistol powders started life out as Shotgun powders so no problem finding them.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I use green dot for lighter loads and blue dot for heavy magnum loads in 12 or 10 gauge. I don't load for 12 anymore, but as I've mentioned, do for 10. Another advantage to loading 10 gauge loads is being able to load a variety of loads that you can't find at stores. It's not a real common load for turkey, but I can find goose loads for it here, for a price, since goose hunting is a big deal around here.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
As I said previously, I only load AA hulls so I have Clay Buster wads for 7/8-1oz, 1&1/8oz, 1&1/4oz and a few 1&5/16. Primers are always Win 209 , powder is always Hodgdon Clays for the lighter loads with a few Win AA powders for magnum loads. I have my Mec 9000 set up for these components so I rarely change. When I want I can set up and load a couple hundred in about an hour. Being able to load what I need and not have to run around all the Wally Worlds to find they don't have what I want means a lot to me. I also have enough components to last me the rest of my life so I intend to try to use them up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
With the price of shells dropping to less than $5 a box you would have to buy your reloading components in 5ooo lots and 8 lb of powder and then you still wouldn't save much. I still reload because the load I use works very well for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts