Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used DRT .45 ACP ammo? It's technical name is Dynamic Research Technologies.
My dealer says it's nicknamed "Death Right There".
I purchased a box but haven't shot it yet.
Looked at it on youTube and it expands into a powder.
Can anyone pass on some knowledge?

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
"DRT" for "Dead Right There" is used by medical personnel. I've heard my wife (a nurse) use it a couple of times. I had to ask her what it meant the first time I heard it, and was a little disturbed by that answer.

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Independent reviews don't show it to be any more than marketing hype. A friend of mine in Dallas recently called me that he was driving over to Cheaper than Dirt to buy a couple of boxes. No matter the catchy name DRT (acronym for Dead Right There) there is never any substitute for bullet placement and any good brand name hollowpoint will do the job quite well if you will do yours.

I have 6 extreme fangface bullets (or similar name) I inadvertently purchased for $19.95 that were hanging on a rack with snap caps when I was looking for snap caps. I'm pleased I looked at the package closer before loading them up and practicing popping bad guys on my TV. They were 2200 FPS or some ridiculous speed achieved by a 95 grain hollowpoint in .45 acp that I wouldn't want to shoot at 25 yards in a strong crosswind. I figure I will never shoot them, particularly as defensive rounds as I expect they would fragment on impact and never have any penetration to speak of.

Bottom line, there are plenty of great hollowpoints on the market by regular long time manufactures for a reasonable price if you just shoot straight.

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jake3501, common sense says you are exactly right! It's easy to get wrapped up and intrigued by folks who do great marketing jobs. Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground.
Practice, practice and more practice makes for well placed shots. The PT145 makes the practice very much fun!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I looked on youtube. Nasty stuff, might be good "in-home" use to prevent over penatration. Game hunting would seem to give you a lot of damaged meat.

More info, I looked again and saw mixed reviews. It seems some of their test ammo performed like ball ammo. Lets wait and see how it does over time.

·
Registered
36,101 Posts
well ,one can find an spend about any amount on these new better than ever projectiles.
when you get to the bottom line though, speed equals energy, weight equals pentration, typically you need both to get the job done.
I can load my 38 Super in excess of 1500 FPS, but thats not the round that i choose as a self defense round as its much to light in my opinion, actually i think there are several loadings in the 175-185 grain area that matches the 1100 FPS in a 45 ACP>
the most important thing is to have a ammo in your gun that will function 120% of the time and you the shooter be able to place that ammo on target in a vital spot.
I like a 200 grian non plus P modern design self defense round in 45 caliber for my carry piece.
everyone has to decide what works best for them however.
most any modern self defense ammo is light years ahead of the ones available just 10 years ago, i don't really buy into the designer ammoes myself.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have shot some of the 150gr 45 ACP, long ago, through my Kimber and Taurus 1911s and it functioned fine. As to how it would work, I would say bullet placement is still number 1.

I bought it from Cheaper than Dirt and thought I would give it a try. At that time it was advertised as Dead Right There ammo, I saw a year or so later they changed their dame to Dynamic Research Technologies. I guess the original name was not PC.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The problem with Frangible ammo, is that if You have to penetrate a barrier to reach the Bad Guy such as Your Car window,
You usually end up with a Bad Guy who is all scratched up from the frangible ammo.
Whereas, His ammo penetrates the window and travels toward You with no problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did some research on this after reading glenwolde's post and I don't see how the trauma would be any different than any SD round, any bullet can be "Death Right There" if you aim well and don't miss...Designer, hyped up ammo doesn't impress me any. I just want a bullet that goes bang everytime and will have some decent penetrating power, Paying extra for a name isn't something I care about...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Personally I stick with tried and true ammunition that functions reliabially in the gun I am carrying. At one time a lot of people were hyping loading a bevel base wadcutter backwards for revolvers, but I felt that could be difficult to provide a reasonable defense for it's use if a person had to defend themselves. Factory loads or handloads in similar loadings would present much less of a problem to justify. JMHO!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts