Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three reasons why .25 ACP is irrelevant

[OP-ED] Counter-point: .25 ACP Is Dead ? Concealed Nation

I'm not a fan of the .25 ACP, but I was doing some light reading and pondering a , "What if?"

What if the .25 ACP came in a 20+ round double stack pistol? In size with a 3" barrel, it would still be smaller and lighter than most .380 single stack pistols. If such a platform existed, would there be interest in better performance ammo?

It would still be a simple blow back design and might succeed where the PMR30 failed. You could probably revive something like the Grendel, and make it as long as Keltec isn't involved.

Something to ponder.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
At SOME point, power just has to trump capacity. It does for me, why I carry a 5 shot .357 magnum. I mean, I have high cap 9s, got nothing against a caliber that's at least adequate and there ain't much keeping a 9x19 +P from the .357 magnum, a little over 100 ft lbs. Well, a bit more if I carry my 3" or 4" .357, but I usually carry a 2".

I don't know that it'd sell, either, but if Taurus were to come out with it, I guess we'd find out. :lol: There's already a 30 shot .22 magnum out there, but it ain't no pocket pistol. Some say it's a jamamatic, but I have no experience with it. That's one thing about .25ACP, it always functioned well for me even in CHEAP zamac guns like the Raven. But, I've moved on as first .380s, then 9mms got downsized in the 90s.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
BTW, Kel Tec's founder, George Kelgren, DESIGNED the grendel P12. I have one, as well as an EXCELLENT P11 9mm Kel Tec. I hardly ever carry the .380, the 9mm is another story, nice carry and good shooter. If you don't like Kel Tec, you can get essentially the same gun, called a Skyy.

·
22,978 Posts
There are huge numbers of guns out there for the .25APC. Irrelevant? Sure buddy. To you, it may be. But what about some 75 year old woman who lives alone and still has her late husband's .25 Colt? Or tilt barrel Taurus/Beretta? It sure as heck ain't irrelevant to her. If I were picking a deeper cover gun than my TCP, I'd wonder about my sanity and then go with a .32. But that doesn't make the 25ACP irrelevant. It's a permanent caliber. It will always be with us, like .22, .32, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357, .44 Special, and .44 Magnum. If you need the click bait, declare one of those irrelevant. But clicks from me are harder to come by than that.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
16 rounds of 40! ;) 2 10 round backups!

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yeah that's just another article by Captain Obvious. The .25 hasn't really been in vogue for quite a long time now though they try to make it sound like it was. It's a caliber that has it's supporters and I agree it will always be around. I have a little .25 mouse gun and I gotta tell you I love shooting it! I don't carry or use it for defense though.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've got a couple and I occasionally carry one as a last ditch BUG. Better than a sharp stick if you get to the point of having exhausted every other better option....
This caliber is not going to disappear anytime in our lifetimes. Gun writers just come up with this kind of ...ehem... STUFF, when they suffer writer's block and can't think of anything better to fill a page...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have done the same thing from time to time. The main problem with the caliber is the cost of the ammo. The last box I bought was around $20 for 50. I should have waited and ordered online, but I had just inherited a Beretta 950 and wanted to check it out for function. BTW, it will bite you if you hold your grip too high. (slide bite)

I've got a couple and I occasionally carry one as a last ditch BUG. Better than a pointy stick if you get down to the point of having nothing else available....
This caliber is not going to disappear anytime in our lifetimes. Gun writers just come up with this kind of ...ehem... STUFF, when they suffer writer's block and can't think of anything better to fill a page...

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I'd like to ask ever writer who declares the 25 ACP or any 25 cal to be useless or dead if they'd like to hold a target against their chest as I shoot one at the target. My Guess would be that each and every one of them would refuse. Why? Because the round is capable of killing a human being. Sure, it's not the ultimate caliber to kill people with, but it does accomplish the task.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
BTW, Kel Tec's founder, George Kelgren, DESIGNED the grendel P12. I have one, as well as an EXCELLENT P11 9mm Kel Tec. I hardly ever carry the .380, the 9mm is another story, nice carry and good shooter. If you don't like Kel Tec, you can get essentially the same gun, called a Skyy.
Never fired a Kel Tec but have fired a Skyy. Is the Kel Tec as bad to shoot at the Skyy?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Has the OP of this thread ever shot a PMR30? I have one and it is accurate and fun to shoot and I'm keeping my Kel-Tec P11 also.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't think the 25 auto is dead, per se, but slowly fading away as a caliber that people actually carry. If someone out there does carry one, they should test out the particular ammo that they're going to carry in it The .25 acp can vary extremely in performance, from almost no penetration to excellent penetration between different brands and lots of ammo production. It's probably why you hear so many stories of people being shot with one and not getting seriously hurt, while other people get killed.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Every time I think of possibly thinning my collection the first thing that comes to mind is my Taurus PT25. Then I take it out of the safe and admire the rosewood grips, go to the ammo locker to see how much .25acp I have left, (remind myself that I'm getting a little low), and vow to take it to the range next trip. Sometimes I do, often I don't, but thoughts of getting rid of the little gem always go away.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
My carry is a Glock 45 ACP usually. I have old baby Browning 25 that is smallest, most reliable pocket gun made. It was carried as backup for years, still is sometimes. The 25 was designed for pocket guns and it does exactly what it was designed for. I have 32's, 380's and many small pocket guns in different calibers. Carry a backup of some type often. Do not feel under protected if the baby Browning is all I have. It is small but accurate. At bad breath distances I believe it would get someone out of my face. Writers have predicted the end of so many rounds in my lifetime. Some of us have laughed about the fact the writers are gone but the rounds, guns etc are still here.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I have a Colt 1908 which I inherited from my late Father-in-Law. It's fun to shoot and a conversation starter at the range. While I agree that the .25 is a rather anemic round, I've yet to find someone who would agree to take a .25 round to the chest at 7 yards. And as Goldfinger said, "I always shoot for the eye, and I never miss." I seldom carry the Colt, but I also understand the fact that it's a vest pocket gun and would be pretty ineffectual in a real SD situation. If I do have the Colt with me, it's as a very deep cover weapon or a BUG. There are a lot of comparable .380's and 9's, just a little bigger out there. And the modern .380 and 9 are quite good SD rounds, and getting better as more and more citizens are carrying concealed. When I do carry the .25, it all boils down to the fact that I'd rather hit a BG with the .25 than miss with one of my .45's. And I am certainly not one who would make fun of another person's choice of weapons. I spend too much capital preaching that one should carry what one shoots well and comfortably.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My very first pistol was an FIE Titan. I was 16 and we purchased it at a pawn shop for $40 (if I recall) in 1984. I kept that little gun for nearly twenty years till that spawn of hell I married took it with her (without me knowing) when I finally put her on her broom and shoved her out my front door........

......but I digress.

Last year I was feeling nostalgic and bought another one (for nearly the same price). I took it down completely and had the entire thing Cerakoted. I slapped on a set of the grips I hand-made for my first pistol and was quite happy!.....

.....till went to buy a box of ammo for it. :eek:

Yeah......I haven't shot it since. But, it does look good on the wall! ;)

DSCN03751.jpg

IMG_0827.JPG

It does shoot well, though!

Reactions: bigC and GhostHorse

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I Like it! (Can I send you my Jennings J25 to see if you can make it shoot again?)

Reactions: paulky_2000

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd like to ask ever writer who declares the 25 ACP or any 25 cal to be useless or dead if they'd like to hold a target against their chest as I shoot one at the target. My Guess would be that each and every one of them would refuse.
I have heard the above many times through the decades and always regarded it as kind of a stupid argument or statement. I wouldn't want to get shot with a 22 lr. or anything else for that matter. But I wouldn't want or recommend it as a good self defense cartridge either. I wouldn't stand still and let you throw bricks at me either. Sales is the only question. A cartridge could be the greatest in the world, but if no one buys it, it'll disappear.
My Kel Tec PMR 30 was a P.O.S. jamomatic and yes it was made after all their corrections.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts