Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is a repeat question, but is there any way to de-cock my pt709. I would prefer to carry with one in the chamber and have the first shot DA. Its not a "must have" but I would prefer it. Any suggestions??:cool:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I don't think I've ever read where anyone has done this with the Slim series pistols.

I have a PT740 and do not know of a way to accomplish what you suggest.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
No. It's SA carry or empty chamber.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yep, it's just like the Millennium Pro series with SA/DA trigger and no decocker safety. You can apply the manual safety when carrying with a round in the chamber, however.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The PT7xx are SA with DA capability for second strike. There is no way to decock. Carry with safty on if you feel. It will not go bang as long as the booger pullers are away from the trigger.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Sian, I removed your post because it's just inherently dangerous to have the firing pin moving at all while there is a round in the chamber, unless you're pointing the gun at a target and expecting the gun to go off.

This gun is built for SA mode with a safety. If you want a long, stiff trigger pull, maybe the OP should trade it in and buy a Ruger LCP or a Keltec P3AT. That is what those guns are made to be. I wouldn't spend alot of time and effort trying to make my PT738 into something it's not.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
60 Posts
ok I wasn't sure, but good to be on the safe side. I certainly wouldn't have tried it myself without taking extra precautions!

·
Banned
73 Posts
... is there any way to de-cock my pt709. I would prefer to carry with one in the chamber ...
Decocking would be a bad idea because the firing pin spring pushes the pin full forward unless held back by the sear. So the gun might fire if the slide closed without the sear holding the firing pin aft. Even if it didn't fire, I would never be comfortable with a spring-loaded firing pin constantly pressing against the primer.

On the other hand, I don't see any problem with carrying a PT709 with one in the pipe. The firing pin movement is prevented by the blocking pin until the trigger is almost full back. So, baring mechanical malfunction, the gun cannot fire until the trigger is pulled almost all the way. Of course, there is also the manual safety (if you want to use it) and it clicks off quite easily (at least compared to a LC9).

One advantage of this SAO design is consistent trigger feel, which is important for this somewhat off trigger action (long pull with little force followed by resistance and crisp release at the end).

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
One advantage of this SAO design is consistent trigger feel, which is important for this somewhat off trigger action (long pull with little force followed by resistance and crisp release at the end).
well of course the PT709/740 is a Single action/Double action design, not single action only I believe.
as for carrying any protection handgun with an empty chamber, well for me personally theres just to much that can go wrong in the heat/excitement of battle to do this.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
If it doesn't have a decocker built into the design, it's not safe to decock the weapon in any way, shape, or form. The DA pull is merely the second strike feature in the event that the round doesn't fire from the SA strike. So although it does have a DA mode, so it essentially is a SAO handgun with Double Strike.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
If it doesn't have a decocker built into the design, it's not safe to decock the weapon in any way, shape, or form. The DA pull is merely the second strike feature in the event that the round doesn't fire from the SA strike. So although it does have a DA mode, so it essentially is a SAO handgun with Double Strike.
while it may be quibbling, if it has a double action ability, it can't be Single Action Only, I agree that its a Single Action (no only) with a second strike ability.
thats exactly why its listed as a SA/DA.
A browning design 1911 is SAO, and don't matter how hard you pull the trigger , if the hammer is down it ain't going to go bang.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
All of that is well and good but I too wish it had a decocker or a way to make it double action;;

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
All of that is well and good but I too wish it had a decocker or a way to make it double action;;
well one should throughly check out and fire where they can any weapon before purchasing it to see the likes and dislikes about the weapon.
they do make mini 380 & 9 MM pistols with a safety, although nothing immediately comes to mind with a decocker in the really, really small 9 MM?
life is trade offs, buying guns is no different.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
If you want a small 9mm da/sa with a de-cocker there is another South American made gun that has this- Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Carry. The cost is about $400. I "hear" these are good guns. I "know" their Thunder 380 is amazing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think but not for sure that its striker fired, there is no hammer to decock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts