Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For years and years, I haven't used my vacation time for vacation time.

I use it to make up for lost days due to sickness, weather, dr appointments, school functions.

Two years ago, I sold my vacation pay to buy a new HVAC unit that conked out in the middle of august - bought a whole new unit.

Sometimes I sell it back to the company, sometimes I take a vacation day and then work that day anyways and make double pay.

This year, I decided to use it for time off.

For the next nine days, I am my own boss outside of my wife tossing strong suggestions at me. :cool:

Problem is...can I handle 9 straight days off from work or will I cave in and go back?

Funny thing about work: You can't wait til you get time off, yet as soon as you do, you start missing the comfortable routine that work gives you.

Now, I am only actually using 3 vacation days out of my two weeks per year vacation in conjunction with two holiday days plus 4 weekend days . I just never used it to take that many straight days off at a time.

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
I sense a boredom in your life.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Good luck. I'd go crazy.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
This is something we saw a lot when we worked for the defense contractor years ago! I think that today it is uncommon, but back then, we worked all the time, even went in on Saturdays until around noon, for free. I even spent holidays working at the plant - again, for free. Most everyone worked like that, to some degree. Now things are very different. Upper management in place today has not risen from the ranks and file and everyone treats everyone differently. The loyalty that used to exist on both sides is gone. In some ways, I think things might have been better before, but then again eating take out pizza at our desks for Thanksgiving wasn't the greatest holiday either, but it's one I'll remember forever.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Enjoy your time off. I'm off until January 5th!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iv'e gone back to work early before, worked on New Years Day , and drove 100 miles to check a job on Christmas Eve when we were technically closed.

I'm not so sure it's loyalty as just being comfortable in my routine.

Granted, New Years Day isn't really that big a deal to me. It's more of what I consider a recovery day than anything else.
I can count on one hand how many times I have drank in the past ten years, so it's a nothing day to me.

I will get in some hunting time though..

If Christmas was at the front of the week instead of at the end...I'm pretty sure I would go back early.

Gonna have to stock up on coffee, snacks and drinks

Reactions: Sekol

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Don't worry, it does not take long before you can get over that work thing. I got over it a long time ago and I don't mind having to make my own schedule for each day that comes. I mostly do what I want, when I want, and for as long as I want. If the spouse unit wants me to do something, I evaluate it and proceed at my own pace. Life is great after retirement.:thumb::thumb: Unless you are sick and falling apart!:shocked:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I have lost some vacation days in my jobs over the years, but usually with my family wanting to go go go all the time on vacation I'm ready to get back to work to get a break. :D

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Don't you have any hobbies that can absorb your leisure? I enjoy ham (amateur) radio.
Talking to people all over the world is kinda neat. But, that's just me! :)

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't you have any hobbies that can absorb your leisure? I enjoy ham (amateur) radio.
Talking to people all over the world is kinda neat. But, that's just me! :)

I like ham( pork) and I play on the computer. Right now, it's wet weather. Not a downpour, but enough to put a damper ( no pun intended) on outside activities.

I will hunt some, and I will eat some too. Might catch up on all those movies I never get to see.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I asked one of my uncles why he never took vacation and hadn't retired yet. "I play all the golf I want to right now. I might as well keep working." He's 80.

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
Scout, it might take up to three days before you are able to adjust to a more relaxed routine. Give it time, and it'll happen. Meanwhile, it's normal to find yourself getting up from a comfortable chair or sofa and pacing, wondering what is wrong with you. It's okay. Step outside for a few minutes. Make the bed. Walk around the house with no particular destination in mind. Then go back and watch the football game, or continue on that little project, or whatever. When a little time has passed you'll find it easier to relax, refresh and renew, which is the purpose of vacations in the first place.

A little patience, and you'll discover that your nine days off will be over before you want them to be. And that will be the sign of a successful vacation.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
It is day 1 of 22 for me. I am so happy to be off. I have plans with my family, things to do around the house, range time, and hopefully I will have time to make the 24/7 G2 teardown thread/video. I would retire tomorrow if I had the money. There is so many other things to do.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The only 2 companies I ever worked for in the civilian world both had the policy that vacation time had to be used, it could not be bought/sold back. They wanted their people to take time away from the job, I figured it to be a good policy. They would buy back sick leave after 120 hours had been accumulated. I sold back every day of leave that they would let me in my US Navy career because being on a ship was just like sunday on the farm, every day was a holiday and every meal was a banquet. Dint need no stinkin' leave!!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I used to be salaried and started the day at my desk between 05:30 and 05:45. Never went home before 18:00. Did emails, reports etc while watching tv at home. The more difficult issues at the home office till 22:00. Worked "only" 8 hours on the weekends. Did that for decades. Made money, got promotions, more responsibility and had to work more hours.

Trust me, You're not helping yourself. Find a hobby outside of work. Clean your guns, dirty them up and clean them again. Reload the brass and repeat.

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat. I rarely take vacations aside from maybe a day or two at a time. This time I'm on Vaca from yesterday until the 29th. The advantage is I have all the parts except for a handguard and sights for my AR build. I'm also working with a Raw upper and lower receiver. I just finished spraying the first coat on the receivers and will be hunting down the remaining parts I want. I also have about 3000 rounds of brass to reload and quite the Honeydo list. I'll need the weekend after Christmas just to recover so I can get back to work.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WEll, my company truck is pretty well over due for an oil change and tire rotation as out vehicle manager is really slacking off this past... 2 or 3 years.

I have volunteered to go in Monday to take my truck to our garage to get an oil change , tire rotation and balance.

I't will get me two or three hours of something to do, I can do some more Christmas shopping on the company's gas , and even though it's just a few hours in the morning, it will feel like I was "productive" and "busy".

And my son is gonna ride with me so that will stop some of that: "Dad, I am bored let's do something" from happening.

Reactions: 91 whiskey
1 - 20 of 29 Posts