Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pay for my wife and daughter to go through a beginners handgun class to get "proper instructions" on safety and how to shoot the right way. I only have 1 local range here that offers indoor classes and wondered what questions I should ask the instructor before hand to make sure they are getting quality but most importantly PROPER training.

They both know to treat every gun like it is loaded.
Keep it pointed in safe direction.
Keep finger off trigger until ready to shoot.
Never point at anything/one unless you intend to shoot.
Always check the gun FIRST to make sure it is unloaded.

And other little safety things. I just want to get them the best available training. I know I am not the one to teach them.

Thanks!
N2C

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would ask about the instructor's qualifications/certification to ensure at least basic competency for quality of the instruction. Also maybe a few questions about the goals of the class to make sure it covers enough to meet your expectations. I am assuming that most intro classes are going to cover pretty much standard fare particularly in a group setting. At one local range that offers free intro to shooting lessons, they pretty much limit it to basic safety, range commands, and an intro to proper stance, sight picture, etc. If you are considering additional instruction for them, then it would be good to talk to the instructor to determine if their personality/approach will be one that will mesh with your wife and daughter. Also I agree that it is often best to get an "outsider" to do the training of loved ones.

Reactions: new2carry

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
CWS covered a lot of good stuff. I would also want to know how large the group is, are there so many people that no one really learns anything?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CWS covered a lot of good stuff. I would also want to know how large the group is, are there so many people that no one really learns anything?
We only have 12 lanes at the range so the class must be small. I would hope they would not double up beginners on each lane!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I would assume that they are going to cover the safety rules for one, and even though your wife and daughter may know those rules, it's still a good thing to have someone other than you drill them into the brain again!!! I think I would just ask the instructor what is going to be covered in the class, or...you could take it with them!! :)

·
Registered
27,629 Posts
Also ask whether the curriculum follows one of the NRA developed classes.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Sometimes just talking to the instructor beforehand will give you a good idea of how they will teach also. How he answers your questions will let you know if he finds pleasure in teaching the sport or some hard core drill sargent that will not make the class fun and educational.

Ask about class size, his subject matter and what each person should come away with after class. I took my niece to a local outdoor range and some of the instructors there came over (her first time shooting). They made it a very enjoyable time for her. They were very friendly and gave pointers. After about 30 minutes, she was shooting in tight patterns 7 yards away. I couldn't have asked for a better first time experience for her.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
:r_c: Unfortunately with the upsurge of concealed carry nationwide too many sidewalk commandos have donned the mantle of "Firearms Instructor"

One would be wise to turn on their "B.S. Detectors"
:icon_ poke: and run the other way if one is ferreted out.:thumb:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips so far. Im plan on speaking to the instructor this week. Ill keep everyone posted on how things go.

·
Registered
27,629 Posts
Thanks for the tips so far. Im plan on speaking to the instructor this week. Ill keep everyone posted on how things go.
One more point... The purpose of the class is to make your wife and daughter more able to take care of themselves, right?
Well, shouldn't they be the ones to talk to the instructor? Perhaps your job should just be to discuss with them what they should look for.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would ask for some one or 2 that have taken the class get there input. Any class taken is good for them if gets a ccw permit
'
jhp

lots of personal defense videos on web google outdoor channel have several good ones on there for veiwing just go to that shows web site such asgun talk,personal defense, handguns and others

1 - 12 of 12 Posts