Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody got good starting data for using Unique powder for loading 200gn 45acp copper plated hollow points. I just ordered some and not sure what to begin with. Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered the Rainier 200 gn lead safe copper plated from Midway. I had been loading my 200gn cast bullets with 6.5 gn of Unique. I was wondering if maybe I could use the same 6.5 gn with the copper plating 200 gn hollow point.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Gholcomb said:
Should be no problem. Most of the time, Copper Plated can be loaded to the same specs as FMJ / JHP's.
Most of the time, but not always. Some Plated Bullets (most notably Berry's Bullets) are sized to Cast Bullet Diameters and should be loaded using cast Bullet Data. I have also used Rainier Plated Bullets and I used Jacketed Bullet Load Data with them. Unique may not work well with them, as pressure build may be too gradual. I recall them being on the soft side and it sometimes takes a fast burning powder to obturate the base of their bullets to get an adequate gas seal. The only way to find out is to load them and measure the results over a Chronograph, which I did when I used them. If Unique does not work, try a faster powder on the order of Bullseye, Red Dot, or some other fast burner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts