Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up a while back. Very early DWA. Not marked with a model # but doing a little search and education, it is a Pre Model 14. 357 Magnum, 2 1/2" barrel. 2 sets of grips, the large target style it wears here and a smaller service style that would be very good for CC. It can be rebarreled and comes with the barrel nut key but no extra barrels, it is heavy enough to tame even the wildest hand loaded Magnums. And....she's pretty good looking too.

Attachments

·
8,977 Posts
Very nice old DW.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That beauty looks to be in great shape. The pix are terrific and well thought out showing the different views. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
The grips look like mine, but mine's SN is 100000 less. It would be nice to get a rundown of the revolver based on the serial number.

It is a true joy to shoot!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You are one lucky guy. Those guns are some of the best .357 magnums ever made.

Here is forum to check out about the Dan Wessons: www.danwessonforum.com

Reactions: guesser

·
23,097 Posts
Nice! Very classy revolver!

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
ohhh--so long ago!!
Wasn't the pre model 14 & 15 the modle 8 & 9?
I think they were but its been a long, long time.
I had a model 14 with the undercover grips (looked like a broom handle) and that thing was NOT a joy to fire, Packs made it much better.
Nice pistolas.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
24,899 Posts
Congrats on your new to you wheel gun.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about the model #'s, this one is not marked. What I did find was the fixed sight 357 was the Model 14 and the adjustable sight version was Model 15.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
ohhh--so long ago!!
Wasn't the pre model 14 & 15 the modle 8 & 9?
I think they were but its been a long, long time.
I had a model 14 with the undercover grips (looked like a broom handle) and that thing was NOT a joy to fire, Packs made it much better.
Nice pistolas.
I've got one of those. It's only a 2" but it still shoots straighter than most 4 or 6" barrel guns that I've handled.

That broomhandle grip ain't comfortable at all. I bought a Hogue Monogrip AND a Pachmyr Compac for it. I ended up going with the Pachmyr.

I don't know about the model #'s, this one is not marked. What I did find was the fixed sight 357 was the Model 14 and the adjustable sight version was Model 15.
The really early ones are called 'pork chops'. The original design had the shroud with an extension that went down the front of the frame held in place by a screw.

The DW website is the place to go. There's a LOT of information floating around over there.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
and IF I remember correctly the frame is drilled differently for the Pin to lock up the barrel straight.
IF again I remember right the longest barrel that you could get for the model 14 was 4 inches, where you could get up to an 8 (maybe a 10 Inch) barrel for the model 15.
again this is form memory.
also a 7 designates the stainless frmm the blue in DW pistolas.
Mine was a model 714.
I still have a model 41HV, which is blue with a bull barrel (Heavy Vent ) HV of 6 inches in 41 magnum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts