Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member from California, I read alot of the FAQ's, still not sure. I would like to purchase a .45 Millenium Pro but still confused on DA vs SA...Some vendors say DAO (actually most do) and others including the site that members have recommended. Where can I find a SA/DA 3rd generation PT 145 and where can I can a great price? I read Smokewaters reply about the SA/DA and simply wondering are there 2 different guns? Would like to purchase one tonight after I get off work, old members give me some direction ;) Thanks, great forum

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Do they have gun shops in California? Just kidding..... ;) You should be able to find a 3rd gen PT145 at any gun shop that sells Taurus.....when you do find one, rack the slide (making sure, of course, that there isn't a bullet in the chamber) and then dry fire it - the pull is a lighter, smooth SA trigger pull. Now, dry fire it again - you will note that the pull is stiffer, this is the DA pull that you would get if the round didn't fire - the SA/DA gives you a "second chance pull" of the trigger to try to fire the round. Taurus advertises that 80% of the time, it will fire the second time. Personally I've never had this happen to me, but it's there if you need it. In any case, this is the best way to experience the SA/DA of the 3rd gen Mil Pro.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
And DAO is another animal all together. Different generations.

Smokewater? :mad: ;D

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
More like Firewater.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not old, but i bought a 3rd gen mill pro 9mm for $324(tax included) at academy. i'm pretty sure all the calibers were the same price. you even get a free membership in the NRA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, Northern California is not a big "Taurus" seller and I will have to purchase my gun from Buds online for $329.00. But.........................does anyone know if its the 3rd generation SA/DA........If you know, reply quickly so I can get it ordered tonight!!!! Can't wait to test my first Taurus and then prove all the "experts" wrong.

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
Well, I just looked at Bud's, and the only buy it now PT145 Stainless, appears to be double action only, second generation.

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
If it's new in box, it's very likely 3rd generation. If it's a PT145, and it has rails, it almost certainly is a 3rd generation.

Good luck with your purchase, I think you'll really enjoy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, I would prefer the 3rd generation...Where can I find it online for sale? The Academy doesn't have online sales at this time, so............Where can I find this elusive gun since I can't afford the diesel to drive to Texas!!!! :D

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Do you have Academy Sports and Outdoors in CA? That is a good place to look.....also, you might try Gunbroker.com or galleryofguns.com - but you have to be sure that you get one with a 10 round magazine limit, if I remember your great state correctly......I've never shopped online at Gander Mountain, but it seems like alot of people here shop there - you might want to try that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
you could just call buds and ask them.
if it's NIB it's probably 3rd gen, unlessi it's a little mom and pop gun shop or someones old new stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Joe Sixpack, thanks for the reply. I ordered my NIB blue millenium pro from Bud's 2 days ago. Trust me, the sales people do not know a 1st gen from a 3rd gen. The folks at Taurus barely know!! Hopefully I will get the 3rd generation!!! :thumb:

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
you should....and congrats !!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
when you do find one, rack the slide (making sure, of course, that there isn't a bullet in the chamber) and then dry fire it - the pull is a lighter, smooth SA trigger pull. Now, dry fire it again - you will note that the pull is stiffer, this is the DA pull that you would get if the round didn't fire - the SA/DA gives you a "second chance pull" of the trigger to try to fire the round. Taurus advertises that 80% of the time, it will fire the second time. Personally I've never had this happen to me, but it's there if you need it.
I've had it happen to me just once with my PT-145. The second strike made the round go bang!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts