Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out to the range today for the first time with my new 740 Slim. The single action dual action triggers not working. When you cock the gun it will fire just fine but if you try to do the second chance fire it will not fire.

I was trying to show my father how the DA/sa works with a dry fire when I realized it was not working. It worked fine befoe we took it to the range today. Is this a common issue with an easy solution, or should I get the gun ready for a trip back to Taurus?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Silly Question I know but did you strip and give it a heavy duty clean?

Reactions: taurusgunner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just cracked it open to take it apart right now so that we can get it all cleaned up. I'm hoping that this will fix it but this is my first taurus so I was thinking it might be a common issue? Just wanted to get some pointers before I did anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just gave it a cleaning, and we are still a no go with the second chance fire working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone tell me what might be the problem that would make that part of the trigger mechanism not load and unload correctly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also just noticed that my trigger safety is not working correctly either. I can pull the trigger from the side, without placing my finger on the middle trigger, and it will activate the firing pin.

I think it is time to send this one in for warranty. Especially after only the first 200 rounds.

·
Registered
15,159 Posts
Not performing in DA mode is a problem, but the safeties not working indicates this is a complete fire control group issue. Time to place the call for a round trip vacation to Sunny Miami Florida.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was what I was thinking. How long is that trip going to take? Today was my first day firing the gun after buying it new. I'm not looking forward to losing it right after getting it.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Went out to the range today for the first time with my new 740 Slim. The single action dual action triggers not working. When you cock the gun it will fire just fine but if you try to do the second chance fire it will not fire.

I was trying to show my father how the DA/sa works with a dry fire when I realized it was not working. It worked fine befoe we took it to the range today. Is this a common issue with an easy solution, or should I get the gun ready for a trip back to Taurus?
I don't understand. The "2nd chance" will ONLY do anything if you had a primer that failed to fire the first time. It doesn't cycle the slide and chamber a round.

How exactly did you try to "show" it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dry fire trigger pull. Until today, you could show the DA/SA to those who didn't understand the idea. Mine no longer cocks and loads the trigger on the second pull. Not to mention the trigger safety is no longer working. Looks like I got a gun that needs a little tuning.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Have you tried using a snap cap, for this demonstration?
I am not sure that the DA will work if there is nothing in the chamber.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Jack slide - Put a lead pencil with eraser down (sitting on firing pin), pull trigger, should pop the pencil way out - Reinsert pencil, without jacking slide, and pull trigger again - should pop the pencil way out, again. There will be a noticable difference in the two trigger pulls.

As for the safety trigger firing without the center being pulled - it's time for trip to Miami on their dime.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I've had one that turned in 12 days (PT140MP - Mag Drop). Another Seven weeks (709 - severe low left from rest). The latter timing gave me an incentive to get my 740 to fill the void the 709 extended stay had given me. LOL

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I don't understand. The "2nd chance" will ONLY do anything if you had a primer that failed to fire the first time. It doesn't cycle the slide and chamber a round.

How exactly did you try to "show" it?
Just use a snap cap and snap caps never go bang.

The repair time will take remarkably longer than usual because Taurus has been overloaded with many repair requests (from what a CS told me). My gun has been there for 9 weeks now and Taurus still does not touch it yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update. If you bought your gum from Sportsmens warehouse they will take care of the warranty send back and all that crap for you. Just a note to those who bought at Sportsmens.

I took mine in yesterday. They said they would ship it off today, but I will not get it back for at least 4 weeks. That part sucks.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The 24/7 OSS is a fine pistol and I love mine. If the 740 comes back fixed, hang on to it. My 709 conceals so much better than my OSS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts