Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this gun? Looking to pick one up. Held one at academy. Felt like a 1911.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Feels a lot like a Browning Hi Power to me I have shoot both but do not own either. If I had my choice I would go with the Browning.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have held one and it fit my hand very well. I have owned quite a few CZ or clones and all shot very well so I would expect the same from the p-07.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I have looked at this with interest. Academy has them for $399. This is the polymer frame version of the CZ-75 compact.
I am now looking at the CZ-75 P-01 (not sp-01), which is the all metal version. Its a little higher- like about $550. The metal frame CZ's are supposed to be some awesome guns.....I assume the poly frame ones are good too.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I own a couple CZ75's and a few clones. It's hard to beat in steel or polymer frames.

Once you experience the CZ75 and its variants the Browning comes up short.

Maloy

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I own a couple CZ75's and a few clones. It's hard to beat in steel or polymer frames.

Maloy
What he said. I've owned them both and I like my CZ75B a lot more than my Browning High Power Practical. Not that the Browning wasn't nice, it's just hard to beat the CZ75's - like Maloy said.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You cant go wrong with a CZ. ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now how would the cz and the taurus 809 compare though? I want to try some different name brands and CZ is def legendary, however very similar guns and the 809 right now can be had for $100 less

·
Registered
258 Posts
lp04, do your homework read as many reviews on both guns and go to your local gun shop and handle both. You don't want to make any bad decisions. You may also want to look at the EAA Witness P Carry. The Witness is an Italian made clone of the CZ and comes with a cone shaped barrel end for positive lockups.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Maloy
Roger that. I own two myself: a CZ75BP01 and the CZ75B in .40 S&W. Prior to owning these I was a Beretta 92 shooter (still am) but then I had a chance to shoot a solid steel CZ75B. I was hooked.
L1000969.jpg

L1000875.jpg

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I bought one just like you're looking at, same place, same price. Upon cleanup and inspection that night I discovered the out-of-shape frame with it's bulges in and out. Compared to a Taurus it's junk. I sent it back for having a rough ramp and dragging frame and bought a Taurus 24/7 Compact. When the gun was returned the ramp had a nice polish. The frame was still dragging on the slide.

So I took it shooting and discovered that it is one sweet piece. It holds good, has a nice trigger and is deadly accurate. It feeds well and shoots every kind of ammo I have. The mags are spring-loaded and will jump out into your hand. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it except that it's a tad long. I got a holster from Kholster for it anyway. Did I say it's deadly accurate?

There was a flap over the manual safety until I discovered that a small piece of plastic was missing. A call to the USA distributor got that replaced almost overnight. They are very accommodating.

Did I say it's deadly accurate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
now how would the cz and the taurus 809 compare though? I want to try some different name brands and CZ is def legendary, however very similar guns and the 809 right now can be had for $100 less
One of the distinguishing characteristics of the CZ design is that the slide rails are reversed when compared to many other semi-autos. The CZ's slide rails are actually internal to the frame. That is to say the frame wraps around the outside of the slide if that makes sense. I think the main advantage of this is that the slide rides a little lower in the frame and that helps with the gun's ergonomics and lower CG. When you pick up a full size, all steel CZ75B for example you may notice the gun tends to point with the muzzle biased slightly elevated. I've found this characteristic makes the gun easy to shoot accurately especially if you are going from a PT92/ 92FS platform to a CZ75B.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The reversed rails are a product of the mind of a Frenchman named Petter, in the 1900s.

I had the chance to shoot an alloy-framed (I think) CZ 07 just this afternoon, in 9mm. The single-action trigger was scary light, like 2.5#. Nice gun, though.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The setup was used in the Sig 210 to great success. For whatever reason Sig discontinued it, and recently brought it back.

The setup allows for the bore to be placed closer to the top of the hand. This cuts down on felt recoil and muzzle rise.

Maloy

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I had a CZ 75 P-07 DUTY for a short while and was quite impressed by it! it's small, quite accurate and feels great in the hand. Trigger is quite decent too. Only complaint would be that sights are plastic and frame texture is a little too smooth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts