Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose for a "truck-gun" and why. I sold my Tokarev and Hi Point Carbine 995TS today to pay off some doctor's bills, got $450 cash for both to same buyer. Tokarev was my truck gun and I always kept it loaded. Wife wanted to trade stainless PT-92 for my Rossi Snub-nose .357 Magnum revolver as her primary "truck-gun." So I got the Taurus back, yeppeee!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Pt 92!!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Truck, car, boat, helicopter, nightstand or range bag, makes no difference, the PT92. ;)

:)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Let's see:

CZ52;

Caliber 7.62x25

Capacity 8+1

Weight 2.09 lb

Size is a little over 8" long. 4.7" barrel.

Single-action

Problems include a brittle cast firing pin, a brittle clip holding the grips in place, and there have been recalls involving the safety/decocking lever.

PT92;

Caliber 9x19

Capacity 15+1 0r 17+1

Weight 34 oz.

Size is 8.5" long. 5" barrel.

Traditional double action first shot, single-action following.

Problems show none noted.

Additionally, there is an adjustable sight model available, there are night sights available, the safety/decocker is frame mounted in an easily accessible location, and is ambidextrous.

There are certainly more 9x19 defensive loads available than 7.62x25. Many are also cheaper. The aluminum frame and stainless slide is certainly more rust resistant than the CZ52, as well. Magazines for the PT92 are also easier to come by.

Overall, unless you happen to LIKE the CZ52 better, the PY92 is going to be the objective best choice.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Off the cuff, I would say that the 92 is the best choice. As to the 52, I don't know what ammo you are using, but I found some Wolf ammo with interesting performance stats listed. It says that it is shooting an 85 gr hollow point at 1600 fps. I would have to think that would put a bit of hurt on anything on the receiving end of that projectile. So if you don't want to use the 92 to as a knockabout gun, perhaps the 52 would be okay. Then again, you could just buy a Hi-Point 9mm for less than $150, and that would solve the issue!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As to the 52, I don't know what ammo you are using, but I found some Wolf ammo with interesting performance stats listed. It says that it is shooting an 85 gr hollow point at 1600 fps. I would have to think that would put a bit of hurt on anything on the receiving end of that projectile.
Thanks all, Since the Taurus is nicer and more valuable I am gonna leave it inside locked up where it belongs. If the CZ-52 gets confiscated or stolen its less of a loss, it will penetrate metal better also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If by a truck gun you mean shooting into trucks and cars, or shooting into engine blocks to stop the vehicle..
....Then I would choose the CZ-52 with the hottest 7.62x25 hard ball ammo every time...;-)

But if by "truck gun" you mean a defensive gun to be stored in the truck then I would chose more firepower, PT-92.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If by a truck gun you mean shooting into trucks and cars, or shooting into engine blocks to stop the vehicle..
....Then I would choose the CZ-52 with the hottest 7.62x25 hard ball ammo every time...;-)

But if by "truck gun" you mean a defensive gun to be stored in the truck then I would chose more firepower, PT-92.
Ohh I see what you mean, I meant that in a defensive type situation the perp might duck down behind his own car and start shooting. Ive seen this happen a lot on police officers dash cams, I want something that can penetrate through glass and all that stuff.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
9mm loads that meet the FBI protocols are tested against auto glass and sheet metal. The 7.62x25 is known to penetrate sheet metal with ease. However, JHP loadings in that caliber are iffy as to expansion under good circumstances, and aren't JHP after penetrating either glass or metal. The 7,62x25 tends to produce "ice-pick" wounds, with little additional trauma beyond the contact points. They may be lethal, but seem to produce little in the way of short-term disability.

There are also no known 7.62x25 loadings that have been entered through the FBI protocols. I mention them only because you are considering shooting into cars, or through their sheet-metal.

The CZ52s firing pins, and grip clips were routinely replaced by the military armorers during the pistols service time. There are machined versions of both available, but you would spend more money getting them. It's quite easy to "improve" the CZ52, right up to the point where they will cost as much as a good used PT92.

Yet, as I said before, if you LIKE the CZ52, just use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts