Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mainly pistols, and the ones I have are not light. In comments made on TaurusArmed I decided to buy a Taurus 85UL for pocket carry mainly because of the light weight, smaller size, and positive comments made on this site. So, I admit, I am new to revolvers. On my first time out I started on a box of Remington 38 specials and before I finished the box black oil was dripping from the trigger and the cylinder latch. It got pretty warm. Then the trigger went limp and the cylinder stop/bolt did not pop back out. I started out by shooting SA and then switched to DA and was on the 4th round when this happened. I unloaded it, and closed the cylinder. I then tried to pull the hammer back and as I did the cylinder stop/blot popped up. All seems okay and I am waiting for a dealer to get some snap caps in so that I can see if this happens again trying DA mode. I have not shot it since. Has this happened to anyone else or is this normal? Needless to say I am new to revolvers. Any comments welcome.

(Noted in another post someone with a 651 and his trigger locked up. This is not what happened on mine. The trigger was not locked but it did click when you pulled it but the cylinder did not turn.)

I did clean it before shotting it and I assumed the black oil was from the packing oil getting hot and discolored by the burnt powder. Could it be something else?

Also, I did notice that the cylinder stop rides on the cylinder and has made a circle on the cylinder. Is this also normal?

·
Super Moderator
35,021 Posts
Sounds to me like some packing grease might be in the works and it could use a through cleaning. Do you have a gunsmith nearby that has an ultrasonic cleaner? Me, I'd pop the side plate off and give the works a through bath in degreaser or carb cleaner, relube with gun oil, and assemble, but I can't recommend you pull the side plate if you don't know what's in there. Reassembly can be a bit of a pain to figure out what with the cylinder pawl plunger/spring and alignment. I'd suggest you seek a smith that can pull the plate and check it out or do a throrough ultra sonic cleaning of the gun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had something very similar that was happening to my newly purchased Taurus 905. Look at your Taurus manual, part no. 12. That's the cylinder plunger & spring. That's what was causing my cylinder stop to sometimes stay in the frame.

At any rate, I totally saturated the cylinder plunger and let the weapon sit overnight. Problem resolved.

I DID NOT figure any of this out my myself. Hopefully, you'll hear from the same gentleman that gave me the sage advice.

You might try that first and see that takes care of the problem, as it certainly did for me.

g19erusa

·
Registered
33 Posts
I forgot to mention that you may want to look in the "Smithing" section for similar issues.

g19erusa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
g19erusa... I did read your post under Smithing. Guess I was thinking in a different direction, but it may be that some of these similar problems others are having have similar causes. I was looking at my manual, but realized after reading your post that I was looking at the wrong part.

And as NativeTexan above mentions, a good cleaning inside is probably needed. I'll give this a try, and maybe a trip to a gunsmith. Wasn't really expecting to take this direction.

Thanks g19erusa and NativeTexan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
g19erusa

Forgot to ask. You mention having a Taurus 905. Isn't this the 9mm version? I looked at it in at a dealer. Was told that the moon clips were hard to come by and that it took extra time to load because of the clips. Have you found this to be true?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Taurus is the only source for what they call "Stellar-Clips" (aka moonclips) for the 905 and they are expensive and rather shoddy in quality. A real pain in several lower body parts to use.

I've only put 225rds through my 905 thus far and guess what? I don't use the moon clips! The empty casings fall right out when I tip the weapon up and reloading from a "strip" is fairly quick with practice. I haven't had any mis-fires, lockups or failed pizza deliveries as a result of not using the clips.

If I had your weapon, I would remove the grips and set them aside. Then I'd get a large can of WD-40 and using the supplied nozzle, I would literally "hose" out every opening, nook and cranny and let all the "crud" drain out. If that solved the problem, and it did for me, then I would lube with a quality product like CLP or Gun Butter, put the grips back on and put some rounds downrange.

If the above actions failed, then, and only then, would I take it to a Gunsmith. FYI, I talked to a local Gunsmith yesterday and that's what he suggested I do before bringing the weapon to him.

Good luck!!

g19erusa

·
32,497 Posts
905s are 9mm. and the moonclips take some effort to strip old ones out and new ones in prior to loading into the revolver. However once the clips have fresh cartridges in place on the clip there is no faster way to reload or unload a revolver.

Same goes for th S&W 625 and it's brethren.

The idea is to have the clips preloaded and ready to go when doing a range session or using the gun for CCW carry. These clips slip into or out of the chambers quicker than speedloaders can be used.

Clip with cartridges goes in together and comes out altogether.This with a flick of the ejector while the revolver is tipped upward and back.

Gravity will assist the unloading or loading.

Spent brass can be unloaded from the clips later at ones discretion.Then new ammo can be placed back on readying the clips if need be.

As for the clips, getting these from Taurus is not that hard. Just order them from them.

One other reason for the moonclips. Pistol cartridges need to be headspaced correctly for proper relaible function and accuracy.
Moonclips see to this.

These also help the ejector work efficently. Guns can be fired without the clips, but accuracy,misfires,and hangups of spent brass can and do happen. In a life threatening emergency this could prove fatal to one or all involved. At the range it doesn't matter.

Reloading may be needed in a real world confrontation.Lately there have been documented cases where off duty officers and civilains(male and female) wound up in defense scenarios with snubbies and had one round left. The criminals decided to leave the scene without pressing the matter to conclusion.

Just things to consider. People will choose what to do and live or die by it. Subjective and objective criteria folks. :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I admit that I wouldn't mind finding a M905 and that I probably wouldn't carry a reload for it. But, it would be carried as a second gun to my XD, which would have a reload. If I somehow ended up in that very bad situation where my primary gun (the XD) went down and I had emptied the snubbie already and I still couldn't evacuate the area, I'd be reloading from my spare mag with whatever body parts of mine were still functional. But having a snubbie that used the same ammo as my primary would be more of a financial benefit due to already buying in bulk.

I don't know if I'd use WD-40 to try and clean the assorted gunk out of the internals. I'd rather use Gun Scrubber. It also comes in an aerosol can and has the spray tube available. Look at Wal-Mart in what passes for a gun accessories section. I haven't bought a can for a little while but they used to run several bucks. Basically, its a solvent/degreaser. I use it primarily to help clean my Ruger 22/45. Here's a link to tell you more about the stuff:
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/maintenance_index.asp?categoryID=2&subcat=3

Steelheart

·
32,497 Posts
Cotton swabs or toothpicks soaked with solvent will get into some of those nooks and crannies that might otherwise escape. Then take a dry patch and get what you can with it. Even if you have to use the patch turned on a corner or end.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Dental picks and pipe cleaners are more good tools for cleaning nooks and crannies.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Follow up - Finally got some break free cleaner and spayed the internals several times. Lots of black stuff drained out. Also ordered snap caps and dry fired a number of times. Had to wait to get back to the range but did so the other day. Not one problem! I am very pleased. Thanks to all for the suggestions. And, I am very impressed with the accuracy of this 2" UL. Since I had second thoughts about the cylinder stop working correctly even after the cleaning I did several s-l-o-w trigger pulls and could tell when the stop engaged and at that moment it reacts almost as if it were a single action revolver. Very nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all these tips! I just bought a new 905 and haven't even fired it yet. I'll follow your advice and do some cleaning before I do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts