Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning everyone. I am a new member at this forum. I presently own and love a Raging Bull .454 and a 9mm PT92. I shoot a lot of .45 LC rounds through the revolver and noticed the cylinder getting tighter and tighter. I cleaned the cylinder several times with a brush and lead solvent which I let sit for an hour. At first this worked. Now I can not seat a .454 bullet and close the chamber at all. I understand the concept of the slightly shorter .45LC causing build-up but I did clean quite vigorously. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
The same thing can occur in 357's if you fire a lot of 38's thru them. One person recommended getting a brush for a .50 to assist in the cleaning of the cylinders of the 454 gun and a different lead removal product might help you. You definitely must have buildup if the 454 will no longer seat. I have a 357, that I shoot 38's thru, but I have not fired enough to get the buildup yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will try the larger brush. I do not have this same problem with my S&W 686 .357 that I put a lot of .38 through. I wonder if it is just coincidence or if S&W is not as prone to the problem. Maybe there is a bigger difference in size between the .454 and .45LC causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Wish I had that answer, I have a JUDGE, that I shoot 410's and 45 colts thru but that is no where like the same. 410's are a bit longer thru the JUDGE, but I have had no tightening up of loading and ejecting of 410's, but of course they are softer than the 454 casing.

I found one thread about cleaning lead out. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5654.0
Take a look thru that it might have some idea's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have preached that it is a no brainier to shoot shorter brass cartridges in magnum type revolvers.

The resulting gunk of a collection of burnt powder soot and lube crap will solidify into a filthy mess that will eventually prevent inserting magnum cartridges in the cylinder chambers.

However, having said that. You can get a clean-out drill from Brownells's that is designed to clear that mess.

But to my way of thinking, don't shoot the none magnum cartridges in a magnum revolver. Use the gun for what it was designed for...a magnum revolver.

Brownell's wants $50.00 for their little tool.

Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tracker Backer C45 said:
I have preached that it is a no brainier to shoot shorter brass cartridges in magnum type revolvers.

The resulting gunk of a collection of burnt powder soot and lube crap will solidify into a filthy mess that will eventually prevent inserting magnum cartridges in the cylinder chambers.

However, having said that. You can get a clean-out drill from Brownells's that is designed to clear that mess.

But to my way of thinking, don't shoot the none magnum cartridges in a magnum revolver. Use the gun for what it was designed for...a magnum revolver.

Brownell's wants $50.00 for their little tool.

Jim

I have the same rule as I have spent hours and hours working on my father in laws wheel guns trying to clean the crap out of the cylinders as both his .454 and .357's are shot mostly with .45 Colts and specials... I'm going to breakdown and buy one of those scrapers as I've tried just about every cleaner, over sized brushes, cursing etc...

Another option, once the cylinder(s) are clean is to carefully polish them. This has usually applied more to the stainless guns I've seen verses the blued as the blued versions are usually already polished fairly smooth inside and out.

However, there are good reasons to shoot .45 Colt out of a .454 even if you do reload. The brass alone is 3x more expensive around my area for .454 and .45 Colt can be up loaded and shot in the right gun, without the pain associated with the full on .454's.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Point taken! However, if you do the proper clean you can do more affordable shooting. If the magnum is twice the price of the other, you can blow thru some bucks, if you do not load.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Robby said:
Point taken! However, if you do the proper clean you can do more affordable shooting. If the magnum is twice the price of the other, you can blow thru some bucks, if you do not load.
I agree Robby. Just clean the gun after you shoot it and it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Not to mention you will save lots of money.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Robby said:
The key is cleaning after every range session. I've never had a problem with my .357s and I fire probably 70 percent .38s in all of 'em. I clean 'em after every session, though, and don't let the gunk build up. It doesn't take that much to do, just run a brush and solvent into the chambers, 40 cal brush for a .357 bore. I handload and could load all my stuff in magnum brass, but I use .38 cause I've acquired tons of it over the years in bulk compared to .357 brass which I usually have to buy new.

If you don't wanna buy a tool from brownells, you could chuck a cleaning rode up in a drill with a brass brush and pull the cylinder for a good scrubbin'.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
NativeTexan said:
The key is cleaning after every range session. I've never had a problem with my .357s and I fire probably 70 percent .38s in all of 'em.
Bingo!!! I've never had a problem either with my .44 Magnums or my .357's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't .454 Casull brass more expensive than 45 Colt brass? I think for most of us, especially with the recoil control features in the Raging Bull, it's cost, not recoil concerns, that makes us want to shoot .45 Colt.

Gray_Wolf said:
If you reload, I would recommend loading .454 cases to .45colt specs that way you don't have to worry about the build up...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts