Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS is the problem:

I have a Taurus Tracker .218 Bee that when I load it to about 80% of max., the primer extrudes into the firing pin hole, and the cylinder locks up. This is about 1950 fps with a 40 gr. bullet.

With the cylinder open, I can depress the firing pin back (deeper) to beyond the face of the recoil plate (or whatever that part is called). The firing pin hole does not seem too large for the firing pin diameter.

I think I could make a new firing pin long enough so that it would only depress to the point it was flush with the recoil plate, and the above mentioned problem would cease. What do YOU think?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Are you using rifle or pistol primers, maybe harder rifle primers will help, my 357 max calls for rifle primers due to higher pressures than most handguns. David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using rifle primers. I tried the mil-spec primers with the same results, but ignition was irregular when temps were below freezing so back to regular rifle primers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used to consider primer extrusion the first sign of high pressure, though I've read that was incorrect that sometimes it can be slop in the primer hole. Shortening the firing pin seems like an odd way to fix it, might end up with more light hits.

I'd try some factory loads and see if it happens with them, maybe something is going on with your reloads, brass too long and getting pinched into the rifling causing high pressure. Maybe you chamber are to short, check for a ring around the end of the brass and see if it appears extruded slightly.

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks David. Being a revolver (maybe I didn't mention that) the case doesn't get anywhere near the rifling, but that makes me think....I should check the throat diameter. Maybe I should experiment more with headspace also.

Only problem with factory loads is that they only generate 1700 fps. No cyl. lock-up. I figured that they used a slow powder that worked best in longer rifle barrels. The tracker has a 6" barrel.

With H4227, 12.8 grains & 40 gr. bullet will lock the cyl. every other shot. Same with 13.0 Gr. H4227 and 33 gr. bullet (2000 fps). With Barnes 45 gr. XLC & 11.0 gr. H4227, the gun often puts several bullets well under 1" at 25 yards with no lockup on this load. (You can see why I like this gun, I've had it 3 years). As powder increases, accuracy declines.

I wasn't going to shorten the firing pin; I was going to lengthen it. The small diameter that portrudes through the frame & hits the primer stays the same length. The rest of the pin gets longer. With the cylinder open, and the firing pin in the "fire" position (all the way forward), if you take a paper clip, you can push the pin not only flush with the inside of the recoil shield, but almost .015" farther, inside the recoil shield. When shooting the gun, the primer also forces the firing pin back that far into the recoil shield, and that locks it up. The new pin will be a bit longer so that it physically can't be pushed beyond the recoil plate.

I think it's true that a picture saves 1000 words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts