Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the first 30 rounds of firing my new model 85,i expirienced cylinder lock up after the 26th round....the rangemaster manged to work it free..it was if the lock thats built into the hammer activated by itself...it hasnt happened again after 200 rounds..wonder if it was a minor thong..anybody else have this happen on their revolvers?

·
Administrator
35,398 Posts
I've been reading many, many threads here over the years, and I've never seen one safety lock just activate itself. Ever.

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just stating a fact. You say you had to work the cylinder free - exactly how did you guys accomplish that? And did you have to use the key to deactivate the safety lock at that point?

I would be more willing to bet that the extractor star or the stem was dirty, or that you had a round in there that was too long for the cylinder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was shooting remington greenbox 38 specials..didnt seem too long when i pumped the first few set of rounds through with no hitches...when i bought the gun i did see how the lock worked n maybe there was a slight possibility i didnt fully disengage the lock..maybe but then if true why didnt the first set of rounds lock up?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I haven't heard of the Taurus revolver hammer lock causing problems either. Does your lock positively engage when unlocked?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have heard of it happening before but that kind of failure is very uncommon. Make sure the lock is fully engaged. The best way to prevent this is to never use the lock. It won't wear down and will remain tight :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rather than the lock I would suspect some unburned powder or a metal filing under the ejector star. You said it functioned fine for several cylinders of ammo before the problem occured and once cleared did not happen again. Snub revolvers with their short ejector rods seem to have more problems with crud getting under the ejector. Always hold the muzzle up and push the ejector in quickly with the thumb of your off hand. I always carry an old tooth brush in my range kit. If I have any action problems I (first) thumb the ejector and use the tooth brush to clean the back side of the ejector star and cylinder face. If this simple fix doesn't do the problem I move on with my trouble shooting.

BTW, don't use the brush on your teeth after using it on the gun -- it tastes funny!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just sounds like it was not fully seated with the key and "jumped" into the locked position.....if that is what it was.

Has anybody removed the lock mechanism from the hammer altogether?

·
Administrator
35,398 Posts
Just sounds like it was not fully seated with the key and "jumped" into the locked position.....if that is what it was.

Has anybody removed the lock mechanism from the hammer altogether?

I would think that might void your lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I suppose so. Taurus beat everybody to the punch on that lock anyway, just look at what Smith had to do to install an IL. The Taurus system is pretty much butt-simple and you just don't hear of many issues with the thing. This is the first thread I have seen concerning a possible problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
during the first 30 rounds of firing my new model 85,i expirienced cylinder lock up after the 26th round....the rangemaster manged to work it free..it was if the lock thats built into the hammer activated by itself...it hasnt happened again after 200 rounds..wonder if it was a minor thong..anybody else have this happen on their revolvers?
This is the absolute first time I have heard of this happening with the Taurus lock.

This is a Model 85, with a standard external hammer, right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
From your story, it does NOT sound like the lock was the issue. Once turned, it would have to be turned back with the key.

More likely something, as described, was preventing the cylinder from rotating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts