Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie first-time gun owner. Purchased a Public Defender and bought some ammo to shoot.

000 Federal fit fine. But .410 Nobelsport .40" shells are tight and #6 shot won't fit all the way. Checked with calipers and the plastic shell casing has slight bulges and variations in diameter.

Are the choked chambers causing the problem?
File:Taurus Judge cylinder closeup.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How can I remedy it? Ream the cylinder bores?
I've only made one minor but, to me, importamt modification. I had the chambers bored straight through and polished. I can now use any .410 shell with no extraction problem.
Or is it safe to carefully shave off some plastic from the shotshells until it fits?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That's a good question. I'm sure someone who has one will be along to help you more. Having shot a ton of shotgun shells myself. I don't think it would be dangerous to slightly trim a shotshell. But that certainly doesn't help solve the issue at hand. Are you sure that not trying to put 3in shells in a 2.5in chambered Judge?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Newbie first-time gun owner. Purchased a Public Defender and bought some ammo to shoot.

000 Federal fit fine. But .410 Nobelsport .40" shells are tight and #6 shot won't fit all the way. Checked with calipers and the plastic shell casing has slight bulges and variations in diameter.

Or is it safe to carefully shave off some plastic from the shotshells until it fits?

Chambers are not choked. The choke is at the muzzle in a shotgun. You may be referring to the forcing cone, but that is after the chamber/cylinder and before the actual bore. Tight fits of shotshells are a manufacturing issue. I have some tight fits after firing but none so far in the loading. (I have a Rossi .410 shotgun.) Don't shave off any plastic, IMHO, or you will weaken the casing and may blow the case inside the cylinder. It would be better to resize the case if you have a .410 sizing die, or just get rounds that fit and give/sell the rounds to someone.

Oh, make sure your ammo is the correct length for the cylinder. Some cylinders are 3" and some 2 1/2".

·
Registered
144 Posts

As others have said, your ammo is probably the wrong size.

The public defender chamber is 2.5" so you have to make sure the ammo is also 2.5". You probably have ammo made for a 3" chamber.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
cat welcome to group.jpg

Do not modify your cylinders or the ammo. Make sure you have the right ammo for the gun in the first place. Read your manual and if you have any questions, call the techs at Taurus and get the right answers to your questions.

Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

1) The shells are definitely 2 1/2". Not 3".

2) .410 sizing die? Is that for reloading? That's something I'd like to learn after I become more experienced. So I can press the die over the shell to get it to proper tolerances?

3) There seem to be ridges inside of the cylinder bores. I don't know enough yet to know what those are. Assumed those were choked bores.
Taurus_Judge_cylinder_closeup.jpg

From wikipedia:
Federal offers ammo specifically designed for the Judge. The 21⁄2" 000 Buckshot contains 4 pellets.[4] While the Judge's cylinder bore is adequate for higher-powered single-projectile loadings such as the .44 Magnum or .454 Casull, the gun is not designed for the high chamber pressures that these cartridges generate and thus could explode if they are used with it. To prevent this, the cylinder bores are choked to prevent successful chambering of rounds larger in diameter than the .410 shotshell and longer than the .45 Colt.[2] Taurus introduced the Raging Judge Magnum based on their Raging Bull model to address this issue; the Raging Judge Magnum safely chambers .454 Casull as well as .45 Colt cartidges.[15]
4) I'll store away the Nobelsport shells with some dessicant and save them for later when I know what the hell I'm doing. Don't want to blow myself up. :mad:

5) I'll contact Taurus (better safe than sorry), but I want to shoot some Federal 000 buck and 45LC rounds to test the gun for any other issues before giving them a call.

I guess that's my plan for now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

1) The shells are definitely 2 1/2". Not 3".

2) .410 sizing die? Is that for reloading? That's something I'd like to learn after I become more experienced. So I can press the die over the shell to get it to proper tolerances?

3) There seem to be ridges inside of the cylinder bores. I don't know enough yet to know what those are. Assumed those were choked bores.
View attachment 112028

From wikipedia:

4) I'll store away the Nobelsport shells with some dessicant and save them for later when I know what the hell I'm doing. Don't want to blow myself up. :mad:

5) I'll contact Taurus (better safe than sorry), but I want to shoot some Federal 000 buck and 45LC rounds to test the gun for any other issues before giving them a call.

The ridges in the chamber are there to help prevent the wrong shells from being chambered.

If you try to put a 454 casull in there, the ridge will prevent it. Without that ridge, it would chamber. If you actually fired a 454 casull from a public defender, it would blow the gun up and probably take your hand (possibly more) with it.

The public defender is not designed to handle the pressure of the 454 casull round. However, they look almost identical to a .45 long colt round, they're just a tiny bit longer. So the ridge in the chamber allows the .45 long colt, but prevents the .454 casull. I would not recommend tampering with that ridge. If the round won't chamber, use a different round.

The federal rounds that are made for a judge are the same size as any other rounds. What makes them specific to a judge are

1: They put a special "shot cup" in the shell. So all the pellets ride through the barrel in the shot cup. This helps prevent the rifling in the barrel from spinning all the pellets away from each other. The result is a smaller, tighter spread.

2: The pellets are copper plated. I don't know what real world advantage this creates, but regular 410 rounds usually aren't full of copper plated pellets.

So the federal rounds are usually better than regular 410 rounds if you want a smaller spread. If you want a bigger spread, they're worse. But in any case, regular 410 rounds should chamber fine and you can shoot them with no problems. If the ones you have won't chamber, then either something is wrong with your gun or something is wrong with your ammo. It's not required to use ammo that was specifically made for a judge in order to get it to chamber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the ones you have won't chamber, then either something is wrong with your gun or something is wrong with your ammo. It's not required to use ammo that was specifically made for a judge in order to get it to chamber.
I'm hoping it's the ammo, but I'll check with Taurus to make sure. Other Judge users seemed to have the same complaint with this brand. I bought it to use as practice ammo because it's a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
+1 for Federal .410 handgun specific rounds. I like the 000 buck. 4 balls in the 2 1/2", 5 balls in the 3". Can you say "ba-DASS?"

·
Registered
13 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/judge/127387-problems-federal-000-buck-shells-pd.html

I ran into the same issue with the federal 410 Handgun 000 buck in my public defender polymer. I was able to force them in and once fired they seemed to fit to the cylinder and didn't stick at all on eject but still makes me hesitant to think I could do any kind of fast reload if they decided to stick. I shot two full boxes through it without any of them sticking once the round had been fired. However, about four out of each box of 25 boxes needed moderate to excessive pressure to enter the cylinder.

PDX1 410 shells glide in just fine though so that's what I have been loading now. I am not a big fan of the wide spread of the smaller pellets so it narrows the circumstances in which I grab the Public Poly as I head out the door versus the other options.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

3) There seem to be ridges inside of the cylinder bores. I don't know enough yet to know what those are. Assumed those were choked bores...

Lee Precision used to sell .410 reloaders but discontinued them. One other place sells a hand loader set similar to the Lee outfits, one for 2 1/2" and one set for 3". If interested I can post the link...if I can find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lee Precision used to sell .410 reloaders but discontinued them. One other place sells a hand loader set similar to the Lee outfits, one for 2 1/2" and one set for 3". If interested I can post the link...if I can find it.
Is it the Lanes Hand Loader? Looks really interesting.

edit1: Hmm, googling turns up mixed reviews for Lanes product...
edit2: Also, I think the #6 birdshot is creating these tiny bumps in the plastic shell. Some spots are .470" diameter. If you have bumps on opposite sides, then you're doubling the error.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts