Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you cycle new mags before loading? I received three new TX22 mags today and started to load them up, found it was more difficult than the ones I already had. I hand cycled each new mag 200 times with a very small dowel rod from the top and it made a noticeable difference, much easier to load.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Some shooters just disassemble their new mags and deburr the follower with a bit of emery cloth and clean and lube them.

Would cleaning and lube be of help to yours?

Reactions: mikld and bobbojama

·
Registered
37,712 Posts
I disassemble new mags, check for burrs, flashing etc and then use a dri lubricant inside the body and reassemble.
the only magazine that i have ever got that was a manufactures mag was a Colt mag of all things and in 45 acp, every other mag that i have or do own (well over 150) has never given me any problems.
now i tried Pro mag twice and neither was satisfactory in reliability.
I occasionally disassemble a used mag and clean and lubricate (dri lube) but not very often.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I forgot to mention the easier way of doing it... just take out the follower tab, reassemble and then put a piece of dowel rod through the hole to hang onto... then you can do a couple of hundred cycles very quickly...makes it much easier to load to capacity... I'm not too worried about wearing it out, those springs will last for years...

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,105 Posts
I never cycled mine...:unsure:...taken 'em for a ride in the truck a few times though.
I’m surprised! All of my carry magazines get cycled.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
29,556 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: jtg452

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,105 Posts
I only ride clipless... Riding with clips just makes you fall over like a Biden.
Where’s the olfarhors when you need him? He can go for hours discussing the difference between clips and mags.
🙄

• Haha
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
29,556 Posts
Where’s the olfarhors when you need him? He can go for hours discussing the difference between clips and mags.
🙄
Why do clipless pedals have clips? Perhaps you can find the answer in an old magazine.

·
Registered
37,712 Posts
🙄

U Rang?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I load as much as I can in it, let it set a day, unload and repeat until I can get the full capacity into it.

I don't lube mags. I don't use a dry lube anywhere else and I'm not buying some just to squirt a dab in magazines. Using a oil or paste is just giving dirt, powder residue and dust bunnies a place to congregate.

When I clean mags ( and I do really clean mags on occasion), they are disassembled and wiped down inside and out- along with the spring and follower with the same rag that I use on the guns. It's a little oily, so they do get the slightest bit on the internal parts and mag body. To clean the inside, I use the rag wrapped around a screwdriver like it's a baby bottle brush.

·
Registered
21,700 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I only ride clipless... Riding with clips just makes you fall over like a Biden.
It is a law of nature that you don't become a real clipless cyclist until you've fallen over at an intersection five times ...in front of witnesses.

Reactions: MadKaw and bigC

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Why do clipless pedals have clips? Perhaps you can find the answer in an old magazine.
In bicycling, "clips" are metal contraptions that lock your feet (wearing any kind of shoe) to the pedals in a cage that fits over your foot. That cage is the "clip." "Clipless" pedals lock special shoes with locking cleats to a pedal with a receptacle lock for those cleats. Those pedals don't have the "clip" cage, so they're "clipless." They have cleats and locks.

·
Registered
29,556 Posts
The term "clips" became associated with the old toe clips (like Biden uses).
The clipless system, which does use what we call a clip, but not the toe clip that is known as a clip (and you thought firearm terminology was confusing!) and allows the user to use a twisting motion to release from the pedal possibly predates the toe clip on a quill pedal. There is one report that the clipless pedal was invented by Charles Hanson in 1895. When you realize that the pedal bicycle was invented in the 1860s (1863 or 1866 depending on the source), you may see why I would like confirmation of Hanson's purported invention.
Anyway, the first commercially viable clipless pedal (with a clip, but not a toe clip) was the Cinelli M71 which required the rider to reach down and manually pull the release lever. I'm not sure why this crash-waiting-to-happen was a viable system, but...
A further anyway... in 1984 Look came out with the first modern, twist-to-release pedal system, and bicyclists (other than Biden) have taken to them like a duck to water.

·
Registered
29,556 Posts
It is a law of nature that you don't become a real clipless cyclist until you've fallen over at an intersection five times ...in front of witnesses.
Preferably witnesses who don't know you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts