Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this in an email this morning and thot it might be worth passing on.

Shows a technique from the early days before slug ammunition. Watch the video
and see how a 12ga becomes a 70cal "slug" -and- turns frangible inside of......

True the Judge is only 410 but making your own frangible is cheaper than buying
45LC frangibles.

Ammunition: Lost Arts pt. 1 - Cut Shells

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Interesting. May have to try it.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Not sure I would want to shoot that in the judge, not sure how the plastic hull would interact with the forcing cone. I may consider "wax slugs"; look them up kind of the same thing less the plastic hull traveling down the barrel.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried either one in the Judge.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No NO in my 12 GA lol I wouldn't try that in a judge ;)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The cut shells have been around almost as long as paper hull shotgun shells. Plastic hulls work better than paper because of crimp type and material. On a different site there is a long thread dealing with them. They are a poor mans slug and in single or double barrel guns work great. Do not feed in pumps and auto loaders. The question about using them in Judges came up in the past. Loading and shooting them one at a time in my Judge I tried them and regardless of brand or type they are not dependable for several reasons. Cut shells work by the front half separates and holds the shot together until impact. In a shotgun the inside of the barrel is slick with no transition. The Judge has a forcing cone at the end of the cylinder. When the cut shells hit the forcing cone they usually do one of three things. 1. The crimp opens and shot leaves hull with both leaving the gun. 2 crimp opens and shot leaves but hull stays in the barrel, or cylinder or both. 3 some work like they do in a shotgun. The wax slugs work better but for the difference a regular slug works best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would think that the rifled barrel would spin the wax slug apart I shoot wax slugs out of my 870 20" smooth bore without issue accurate within 50yrd (body mass) but with rifled barrel they go everywhere and breakup before hitting target

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Did that as kids, alot cheaper than slugs. Slugs 5 for 5.00, a box of bird shot 25 for 6.00. I have a pump so I'd load them by hand, don't try in a semi auto.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
BigBull you are right about a rifled barrel and wax filled shotshells. What I ment by better was that you did not risk having hull stick in gun. Also was shooting from the seven yard line. Handgun not shotgun range, and slugs do better than either shot load out of the judge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think there is a problem with this idea in a Judge. The Judge is a revolver with a chamber, sizing cone and barrel not just a straight barrel as in a shotgun. If you take a 410 shell and try and fit it down the barrel of the Judge it won't fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts