Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just thought I would share my experience that I just had talking with Taurus Cust Service today.

I read on an earlier Forum post about Taurus having some alternative "3 dot" sights to replace the "single 8" sites for some models. I own a PT609, and there is not much information on this model. Even the owners manual does not make mention of the gun, nor is it listed in any of the exploded parts views in the manual. There are however, many others that are listed in the Polymer Manual. (I think my model may have been made exclusively for Acadamy Sports, which is where I purchased it)

So, I thought I would call Taurus and see if they had a replacement rear site for my PT609. At first the cust service person quickly said that they did not made a replacement site for my gun. I then mentioned to her that I had a very difficult time identifying what parts to order due to my gun not being listed in the manual. I asked her if there was a "sister" pistol that I could match mine against. She told me to hold on, and took the time to look further into it. She came back and said that mine was in the Millinium series. I then asked her if they had 3 dot sight replacements for this series. She looked it up, and low and behold, they do! The 3 dot rear site only cost $10.00, and they included the set-screw as well.

Although I have learned to shot mine with the single 8 sites, all my other guns are 3 dot sites. So, I thought I would get the change over while I could, and ordered it. I'lll know for sure if they will fit after I get them, and put them on my gun. It's not that I really needed to change the sites, more that I at least will have an alternative, and see if my aiming improves.

I'll post a range report after I get them installed, (if they fit that is), and let you know how it shoots.

I am glad that I initiated a brief conversation with the Taurus Cust Service person. If I settled for the first answer, then she would not have looked further into helping me out. She was real pleasant, and really went the extra mile to assist me, once we got the ball rolling.

So, for any of you with a PT609 model, you may find this info useful. I'll be glad to provide you with the site part number once I get it from Taurus.

Happy New Year!,
Rob

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Sometimes all you have to do is ask the right question, and suddenly an answer appears as if by magic. Hope those 3-dots work out well for you.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
And another satisfied customer hangs up the phone with Taurus CS!

Good for you!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Good to know. I do not like the 8 sights.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
One caution to watch for when you install the new two dot rear sights. If the bottom of the sight channel is flush with the top of the slide when you install the new rear sight, your pistol will shoot 4 or more inches low at ten yards. If you look at your rear single dot sight, you will notice the bottom of the sight channel is a least the diameter of the dot above the receiver, which is probably 3/32 of an inch more elevation than if the sight channel is flush. A friend of mine recently bought a slightly used PT92 AF and I believe the previous owner may have switched from a straight 8 to a three dot sighting. He has ordered an adjustable rear sight to hopefully correct the situation.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Ordered some for the PT111 Friday. Also got excellent customer service.
However, since they're not yet here I'm wondering why postage was so expensive. It was all right when I thought they must be shipping Priority, but now...

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
When ordering any parts from anyone, I always try to get several parts on the same order as two or three more parts will not increase the shipping cost any. I would order a couple of spare recoil spring assemblies at $7 each and if they will sell you a firing pin and extractor, it never hurts to have those on hand.

I recently ordered a new grip screw for a vintage Browning, $3 for the grip screw and $6 shipping, so I added a firing pin and extractor to the order, probably should have ordered a new recoil spring. The main thing is to go ahead and get the more commonly needed parts to have, hold and keep, and also keep the downtime down should you ever need those.

I have a few vintage collectibles that I plan on handing down and some of the more common parts are already a little hard to come by and while I don't try to wear them out on the range, I do shoot them some and enjoy doing so. By having some key spare parts, I shoot more than I might would otherwise.

Reactions: RobThatsMe

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One caution to watch for when you install the new two dot rear sights. If the bottom of the sight channel is flush with the top of the slide when you install the new rear sight, your pistol will shoot 4 or more inches low at ten yards. If you look at your rear single dot sight, you will notice the bottom of the sight channel is a least the diameter of the dot above the receiver, which is probably 3/32 of an inch more elevation than if the sight channel is flush. A friend of mine recently bought a slightly used PT92 AF and I believe the previous owner may have switched from a straight 8 to a three dot sighting. He has ordered an adjustable rear sight to hopefully correct the situation.
Thanks for the tip Jake. Or should I say Tips! Great advise on ordering some maintanence spare parts. Wish I did that, and have that filed in the memory bank for next time.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I was unaware that Taurus ever shipped the PT92 series guns with the Heinie sights. All that I've ever seen came with the three-dot set-up. Now, I've known people who changed those to yet another three-dot.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Nice to hear you had a pleasant experience Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you ever put the three dot sights on and if you liked them? Also what kind were they and can I only get them through Taurus?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I called CS last year to get a replacement front sight for my pt1911,as it was shooting about a foot low at 25yds. The lady told me they could'nt send me another front sight,but I could use any aftermarket sight I wanted to install. I fixed the problem with a file and calipers. Can't say I was very happy,though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if you ever put the three dot sights on and if you liked them? Also what kind were they and can I only get them through Taurus?
Hi Raymond,

I have not put them on yet.
Mainly because I have been shooting the single 8 sights real good the last few times I have been to the range.
But, I do plan to put them on in the near future to see if there is a difference. I'll post my results when I do.

Rob

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It's nice when things work out well. I think that Taurus customer service generally tries to do a good job, so it's good to hear about it when they do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When ordering any parts from anyone, I always try to get several parts on the same order as two or three more parts will not increase the shipping cost any. I would order a couple of spare recoil spring assemblies at $7 each and if they will sell you a firing pin and extractor, it never hurts to have those on hand.
I ordered new grips last week for 2 new Taurii revolvers after reading this. I also asked for a couple of grip screws. They sent them, and its a good thing because I needed them! Thank you !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts