Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Curve recall, is it true?

13K views 81 replies 36 participants last post by  john_bud 
#1 ·
Went to Dick's today to see the new Curve that they expected to receive yesterday and I was told that the Curves have been recalled because Taurus did not print the caliber on the barrels.

Is this true?

#46 ·
I followed the news about this in Brazilian midia... there were some rumors most likely related to politics in a election year. per contract, the police force pistols are supposed to be sent to taurus for regular maintenance periodically.

Reactions: Czombie
#38 ·
Duh....I am thinking what are they talking about?? Then I saw barrel!

None of my Taurii have calibers engraved on the barrel...... Won't say how many.

#40 ·
It just hit me from another thread. It was let out that Taurus USA and Taurus in general were making some minor changes to the Curve, this was in the last few months, and then the Curve will be out in bigger numbers.

As far as recalls go,no, there are not any.

#42 ·
OK. I used the Live Chat to check with Taurus.

There is NO recall.

To paraphrase what CS said: There is no recall. The first production may have been sold without caliber stamping, and customers are being advised to send the pistols back, so they (Taurus) have it stamped.

#49 ·
OK, as Taurus is actual an INTERNATIONAL shipper of firearms, they must have all applicable features for multiple countries. If some demand a caliber designation, then it's cheaper, and more fool-proof, to label the lines of guns imported to those countries entirely, than just those that are meant for that country.

America, home to the largest portion of ambulance chasing lawyers, coupled with entire generations of "it weren't MY fault" inhabitants, could well cause an importer to demand "safety" stampings that are there to protect the manufacturer from such societal pustules.

Sadly, those same pustules appear to inhabit the internet in force.

#66 · (Edited)
Single or double bit? I've never had demoncrats say anything after hitting them with a razor sharp double bit ax! maybe you should change your pre-swing warm-up routine? Possibly, more stretching ... then again it could have been dull too...

#52 ·
I contacted Taurus Online Customer Service. This is the chat transcript:

Francesca 6:01:54 PM
Thank you for contacting Customer Care. My name is Francesca. I'll will be assisting you today!

Alex 6:02:47 PM
yes, I went to Dick's last Saturday and they told me that the distributor had to send back the new Taurus Curves they were supposed to get. is this a recall?

Alex 6:03:24 PM
is there something wrong with the curve?

Francesca 6:04:14 PM
Alex we understand your concern about the issue. There is not recall on the firearm. We have been made aware that the first production of the Taurus Curve may have been sold without the required caliber stamping on the barrels.

Alex 6:05:13 PM
is this a requirement by Taurus? Many guns available in the market
do not have that

Francesca 6:08:23 PM
This is a requirement set forth by the BATFE and failing to have the stamping added by us, the manufacturer, to BATFE standards is a criminal act.

Alex 6:11:13 PM
I understand

Alex 6:12:20 PM
Thanks!

#58 ·
I contacted Taurus Online Customer Service. This is the chat transcript:

Francesca 6:08:23 PM
This is a requirement set forth by the BATFE and failing to have the stamping added by us, the manufacturer, to BATFE standards is a criminal act.

Alex 6:11:13 PM
I understand

Alex 6:12:20 PM
Thanks!
OK, If they say so!
But I am throwing the old -- :bs: -- and penalizing Taurus 15 yards for allowing untrained people to talk to the public!
You gotta show me the beef on this one!

#53 ·
This is bull puckey -- unless this is some new rule? I own multiple pistols, from multiple manufacturers that have no barrel cal markings. They do have slide markings. So my guess is Taurus forgot the slide markings, unless this really is a NEW BATFE rule???? Hmmm?

#54 ·
This answers a question: no, it is not a recall, just Taurus making an effort to do the right thing; and it also leaves us with another one: is this a BATFE rule?

#55 ·
asm...your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to wade through all the BAFTE rules and regs for imported pistols and come up with an answer.
This mission is highly dangerous and could lead to blindness, or at the very least a very bad case of regspeak.
As always, TA.net will disavow all knowledge of you and your team.
This post will self destruct as soon as shrillary gets to the server!

#67 ·
Any pistol imported has to have the stamp of the importer on it. They are also required to meet the definition of "Sporting", as defined by BATFE. IF, in fact, a caliber stamping is required, what is Taurus doing with the ones that have been sold? Even if it's only a handful, the BATFE, who brought you the opinion that a boot-lace could constitute a machinegun, would certainly be willing to prosecute over a handful of anything that they determined was illegal.

If Taurus decided that all Curves not actually sold at retail need to have a caliber stamp, that is their business. As the Curve is available in only one caliber, the stamping really need only be on the slide, though. One can go overboard with the idea of safety. If we have a need to stamp every barrel hood with a caliber designation, why aren't we doing the same with the cylinders on a revolver? Perhaps mandatory mag disconnects as well? After all, it DOES make them safer when viewed through the lens of "safety". Sterling Arms was shut down after a Court ruled that they were responsible for a death when the owner dropped the magazine, pointed it at his girlfriend, and shot her dead with a supposedly empty gun. The family argued that a magazine disconnect, readily available in similar weapons, would have prevented that. So...............;)

#70 ·
AHH, Yep!
Kind of like reading fire codes for a hospital and using them to inspect/regulate a night club!
one must use the proper set of regulations to apply them correctly.

Reactions: john_bud
#74 ·
To the best of my knowledge and memory I believe that all of mine do as well.
Regardless of law/regulation it just makes sense that they be marked.

#76 ·
Why do I picture Mark Kresser shaking his head and laughing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.