Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking on line and registering to be notified when they come in stock (yea, i know, spit in one hand and wish in the other...) but what are the current prices for a box of 1000? i found someone local that charged a lot, but not that bad for a box or 2 once you figure in hasmat and shipping, and he had them in stock. I assume that any online price where they are backordered is probably not what the price will be when they get any in stock. So has anyone done a recent online purchase?

·
Administrator
35,309 Posts
I was lucky and I picked up a box of 1,000 SPP a month or so ago, and I only paid $40 for it. That's within the range of what you would have paid for a box of primers anytime in the last few years. Now, I haven't seen any since then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have gone up at least 50% or so. Still, when broken down per unit, that's still not horrible except for the fact that it's an artificial price that (hopefully) will come down when supplies come back in.

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
The best successes I've heard were from the discord for Reddit r/reloading. apparently, you gotta be quick everywhere.

·
8,543 Posts
BEst price online is around $150 + hazmat etc..But those at that price go fast. I traded an old gunbuddy some stuff and I got a 1000 case of old fed SPP's as part of deal. trade value about $40. But these are old and some look wierd. Another way I get primers is to reload for my LGS buddy. He asked me to do some 9mm and 38 spec for his personal stock. HE gives me projectiles, brass, and primers, I use my time and powder. So I load 1500 for him and I get 500 primers and the left over brass and projectiles. I think by weight primers are near gold in value.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I picked up 2-K Federal SP primers from my local range /guns hop about 3 months ago for 40 bucks per k plus tax. they have not had any in stock since then.
fortunately unless this drought continues for some time i should be alright with what I have loaded and what components that i have .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I keep looking on line and registering to be notified when they come in stock (yea, i know, spit in one hand and wish in the other...) but what are the current prices for a box of 1000? i found someone local that charged a lot, but not that bad for a box or 2 once you figure in hasmat and shipping, and he had them in stock. I assume that any online price where they are backordered is probably not what the price will be when they get any in stock. So has anyone done a recent online purchase?
If you are careful not to over indulge you can get them from Gunbroker. $100-130. But you will have to restrain yourself or you'll end up way over $150. I just got a box of LP magnum for $105 including shipping. 1/8/21 ish

So take your time and stop bidding when you're at your limit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i am feeling pretty good about what i paid. $100/K new CCI out the door. no tax no nothing. cash only

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
WHAT??
NO way am I going to pay that for primers, I got a couple Bows and a few arrows in the attic before I do that!
setting-himself-on-fire.gif

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHAT??
NO way am I going to pay that for primers, I got a couple Bows and a few arrows in the attic before I do that! View attachment 475619
ok. i respect that. let me know if you run short in 6 months when primers are no longer allowed to be sold to private citizens. I suggest stocking up now on more arrows before the run on them starts...😉

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with what i bought i got my stock back up to a level where i can watch for deals and do some dollar cost kind of averaging and still load ammo for fun and not feel like i need to hoard primers and such

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
ok. i respect that. let me know if you run short in 6 months when primers are no longer allowed to be sold to private citizens. I suggest stocking up now on more arrows before the run on them starts...😉
yea there is always the old black powder pistols that use flint!
but it will be well past 6 months before I run out of ammo.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My local shop is getting LPP and selling with no limit on what you can buy, I've been buying 1-2K every time I go there. The price went from $38 before the WuFlu, to $52 now. Not cheap, but better than most places.

He also has a large stock of powder, I buy a lb of something almost every trip.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My local shop is getting LPP and selling with no limit on what you can buy, I've been buying 1-2K every time I go there. The price went from $38 before the WuFlu, to $52 now. Not cheap, but better than most places.

He also has a large stock of powder, I buy a lb of something almost every trip.
lucky u. my local shops seem to all be out of primers every time i visit. I guess i need to expand my loop. Any chance you are close to central Florida?

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I would likely pick up a few K of primers in the 50 buck range??
I mean a nickel a primer isn't to bad, not long ago I was paying like 2.85 cents per primer, then it went into the 3 cent plus per primer.
a Dime a Primer, thats likely the breaking point for me.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would likely pick up a few K of primers in the 50 buck range??
I mean a nickel a primer isn't to bad, not long ago I was paying like 2.85 cents per primer, then it went into the 3 cent plus per primer.
a Dime a Primer, thats likely the breaking point for me.
agree. just hedging bets.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
My wife was on FB Marketplace the other day. Estate liquidation sale, and she saw "primers". She came home with:
5K CCI 500 SPP
8K CCI 400 SRP
2K CCI 200 LRP
$300 OTD cash on the barrelhead
A quick search, and SRP are GTG in some SPP applications
I loaded a few of my pet 9mm loads with SRP, and all went bang, with no signs of over pressure, out of my G17. I did read some striker-fired pistols may not reliably ignite SRP, so I will be testing my other handguns this week. I have a few for my .38 Special sitting in the tray, waiting on the weather to cooperate. The only thing I noticed was the SRP loads were just a touch louder than the SPP loads. I ran them across the chrony, and only ran an average 12FPS more than SPP. Just a little tidbit for those running low on SPP. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts