Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years ago roughly. (Forget the exact date) The ownership of Taurus, TaurusUSA, and TaurusRocci changed hands due to a death.

Now, since that time, I have not been keeping up much with the goings on at Taurus, or more specifically TaurusUSA in Miami.

So, have things changed, has quality gotten better or worse, customer service, etc?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Don't believe much has changed in 2 years. Taurus quality is probably better now than it ever has been.

BTW---welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
both my taurus guns are newly manufactured.. within the last year or so.

my pt92 is rough in some spots but accurate, reliable, a nice gun.

my .357 tracker took 3 tries to find a decent NIB gun.. the one i ended up with is ok but it's not really 100% either..

thats my only experience so far with taurus.. i've handled a few others but these are the only two i've shot.

my advice look over their wheel guns very closely, the autos seem ok if not a bit rough.. i think it boils down to crack heads running the revolver QA.

·
Registered
384 Posts
joe sixpack said:
both my taurus guns are newly manufactured.. within the last year or so.
i think it boils down to crack heads running the revolver QA.
That explains the crack pipe I found instead of the fired casing that came with my new Tracker :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Taurus is Junk"

Called the nearby gun store yesterday, one that I haven't been to in about 3yrs since they treated my wife and I very rudely and we walked out. 
"I'm looking for a Taurus Pt92 or a Beretta 92fs, do you have either in stock I could look at?"
"Taurus is junk, I don't sell it"
"Do you have the Beretta?"
"Yes I have several"
"Can I come down to look at it?"
"Sure, come on down"
So, I grab my friend and we drive down to the store at lunchtime to see what he has.  We arrive and the guy at the counter asks if he can help, a different guy than I talked to on the phone(I could tell by the voice), and repeated my original inquiry I made on the phone earlier.
"Taurus is junk, I won't sell it, stay away from them"
"May I see the Beretta?"
Shows me two models, the M9 and the Pt92 inox. Both beautiful guns by the way, I'm definately in lust.  I ask a few intelligent questions and then I question him about the trigger.
"This has the plastic trigger and quide rod?"
"No! the trigger isn't plastic!"
"Oh, I mean composite?"
"NO it's not!" 
We dicker over price, he's way out of line (About $150 high)
"Well, I still want to look at the Taurus for comparisons sake, so If I decide to go with the Beretta I'll come back and talk to you some more"
"Taurus is junk, stay away, one wouldn't last two days on my rental board"
"I own several and have had good luck with them"
"Well, you're one of the few."
"Goodbye"
So what do you think, should I buy a gun off this guy?   :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Not on a bet I have a gun shop who used tell tell people that crap and another gun shop opened down the road and guess what they sold Taurusas as well as other guns.

Somehow the first gun shop started selling them and dropped the crap line, they are also the best sellers at the two local gun shows because the gun shops carry only a limited amount and style.

I own two a mod 85 38 snub thats 20 yrs old and shots +p just fine, and a new pt1911 as of last October that so fare has outshot a colt and kimber.

The Taurus 92 I like better than the Beretta I have friends that own them and swear by them.
My $.02 have fun and look around. Buy what makes you happy not a dealer that wants to jack his prices.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Jkwas said:
"Taurus is Junk"
So what do you think, should I buy a gun off this guy? :rolleyes:
HELL NO!!! I was told the same by a dealer who sold Taurus guns. I would have bought one from him but he gave me a bad vibe. He said he sends more of them back to the factory than any other guns. Now that I think about that, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It means that Taurus has the lifetime warranty and not many others do. I think the guy just wanted me to spend more on a S&W, Beretta, or Glock.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well add to that, that from some of the recent reports on returns from Taurus, the time in repair is dropping.
The proper repair the first time (which depends on how you write up the repair request too) is improving and before you jump on me too hard, there are exceptions to all of this.

I think that they probably got backlogged during an exceptionally busy time, and are finally digging their way out. NOT that is won't happen again, especially if they have a busy season, selling lots of guns of all types.

We forget that they are fixing the 20 year old guns, and the 20 day old guns sometimes, which no other manufacturer has been doing.

Yeah a couple have added to their warranty time, and some are matching Taurus. Will the main stream, high dollar ones follow suit, "I doubt it, but wish they would"!!!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Robby said:
Will the main stream, high dollar ones follow suit, "I doubt it, but wish they would"!!!
For what some of those guns cost they certainly should have a lifetime unlimited waranty. my $.02

·
Registered
878 Posts
The dealer I talked to yesterday told me that Berretta has no warranty. I bring it to him. FYI the real deal is the warranty is 1yr limited.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't say anything bad about Taurus. Have a 20-year-old M85 that recently needed the firing pin replaced. Didn't bother with the Taurus warranty because it was the wife's house gun. Also have the 45-410 (a novelty but FUN gun) and the PT1911 (that shot poa right out the box but recently got a trigger job now a 42 oz pull - OUCH). None of these have failed me and for the overall price for the lot I've gotten some real VALUE. I'm happy with my experience and I can only hope that everyone that chooses a Taurus has the same roi.

About the gun dealer. I ran into one of those "Glock, only Glock" dealers. The owner didn't realize his counter help was bad mouthing the other guns he was trying to sell. I mean, if you're going to display it why bad mouth it. At least give a balanced explanation of the pros and cons of one against the other. I managed to speak to the owner face-to-face. Not sure what he did but never heard the trash talk again, and btw the counter help in question decided to pursue other opportunities. In my area, there's only a few dealers within a 20-mile radius so I don't think any of them can afford bad business practices.

I encourage everyone to tell your dealer what's not working in the business, especially if you like SOMETHING about their business. If you don't try to support the little guy then everything will get controlled by the big box stores.

Just my .02

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The two shops I frequent neither encourage nor discourage sales of a particular brand. They both do give those new to firearms recommendations if they ask but have never heard the staff at either badmouth Taurus, or any other manufacturer for that matter.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Jkwas said:
The dealer I talked to yesterday told me that Berretta has no warranty. I bring it to him. FYI the real deal is the warranty is 1yr limited.
actually iirc the warranty on a new gun is 3 years. (dont quote me) however i do know if you register the gun with beretta they extend it by at least a year.. 2 i think.

·
21,932 Posts
My pt 92 is 23 years old. The only thing to go wrong with it was a small tab on the trigger bar broke. After thousands of rounds I'd say thats pretty freakin good. If the 2 newer Taurus guns I have hold up like the old girl has I'd say money well spent.
My local shop is a Taurus dealer and his opinion is if you like it buy it. If you buy it and don't like it, try something else. Just come here to buy whatever you like.
Opinions are like...well you know.

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
Joker, I agree - I think that most reputable dealers sell everything, and won't bad mouth any particular brand. They know that "to each his own", and the more brands they carry, the more likely they are to sell a gun.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I own 5 of them and wouldn't trade any and would buy all of them again if had to do over.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I visited a small shop today that was new to me. They had a not huge but nice selection and answered my inquiries about prices for new Taurus models. They carried several Taurus revolvers and had good things to say about them. So I'll be making my next purchase with them. Who said business was complicated?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, the guys I been dealing with local, the only thing they said about one I was looking at was the trigger pull was heavy, so I would know. I already knew that from my research here, but sure was not a negative comment just making me aware. And his main push is Glocks guns. But he has many other brands in another case.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts