Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why but have been curious about reduced loads and coated bullets in the .308 for a bolt rifle. Who has tried them and what is your recipe? And what game have you used them on?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not me but the guy at the LGS uses Trail Boss, for reduced load/subsonic 308 loads. Really quiet with a can on front too.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Have not in several years. Unique was popular for cast loads years ago and loads were listed for it. Trail Boss is popular now and easy to work loads with. When titegroup came out we played with it a lot in large case lite loads because it is not direction sensitive. Even in 45/70 cases it gave very low extreme velocity spreads. Have shot small game and deer with cast loads from different handguns and rifles. That said I would work a load for each gun and what it would be used for. All most all guns have a sweet spot with a load it likes.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
It all depends on what level of "reduction" you are looking for. Loaded with 30-30 level loads it is, in effect, a 30-30. taking them down below that it is possible to get to .30 carbine level with the appropriate bullet weight. It would all depend on what the intended game was. If I were looking at, say, a low-recoil quiet load for deer-sized game in close, I would be inclined to find loads using a heavy bullet since those loads would lack the velocity that helps the lighter bullets.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Many years ago when living in Wyoming my friends and I would make up reduced loads for 308's and .30-06's using a Speer 100 gn SPRN and 2400 to shoot prarrie dogs with....

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
1 - 7 of 7 Posts