Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gun says about up to 124 grain fmj on my millenium pro pt 111 12 round magazines!can I use other grains less than that or should i stick with it?my first bullets was only 105 grains!also can I use other than fmj bullets?Ive been thinking trying GUARD DOG ammo its 105or115 grain or less and the zombie type bullit which is 105 or 115 grain!
your input is grealty appreciated!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know the rounds I was using were pretty light, (don't remember how many grains) and it didn't really like to feed them, so I would suggest trying heavier rounds if you can. And you should be able to use hollow points, just try some out at the range to make sure they feed ok.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Taurus 1972 - 115, 124 & 147 are the 3 most popular bullet weights (measured by grains) for 9mm. IIRC 124 was the original. Most modern guns will shoot and cycle all 3 well - not ALL in ALL guns and brand to brand may vary as well. If you come across ammo that you are comfortable with - take note. Same for any that give you trouble firing, ejecting etc.

FMJ for practice. JHP for self defense. You will want to find a few brands (absolutely with the SD ammo) that function properly 100% of the time.

You will notice that each of the 3 rounds shoot differently. It's easier to make a lighter bullet go fast - some will feel snappy and cause more 'muzzle flip'. 147gr on the other hand will travel more slowly (they are heavier) - that may make for smoother shooting. try them and decide what is right for you.

To learn more about many of the common ammo on the market have a look at the ballistics 101 site: Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place
Cliick the 'handgun ballistics' drop down menu then look for 9mm. The whole site is loaded with good shooting information.

Have fun - shoot safely!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The PT111 Pro will shoot any standard and +P 9mm Luger ammunition. In mine, factory 124 and 147 grain ammo is the general range diet. The same bullet weights in JHPs for self defense. The Hornady Critical Defense line in 115 grain shoots well out of it, too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one thing is the book said only use up to 124 grains!!thePPU was the only ammo I used but have AGUILA AND AMERICAN EAGLE brands to try also!!
Taurus 1972 - 115, 124 & 147 are the 3 most popular bullet weights (measured by grains) for 9mm. IIRC 124 was the original. Most modern guns will shoot and cycle all 3 well - not ALL in ALL guns and brand to brand may vary as well. If you come across ammo that you are comfortable with - take note. Same for any that give you trouble firing, ejecting etc.

FMJ for practice. JHP for self defense. You will want to find a few brands (absolutely with the SD ammo) that function properly 100% of the time.

You will notice that each of the 3 rounds shoot differently. It's easier to make a lighter bullet go fast - some will feel snappy and cause more 'muzzle flip'. 147gr on the other hand will travel more slowly (they are heavier) - that may make for smoother shooting. try them and decide what is right for you.

To learn more about many of the common ammo on the market have a look at the ballistics 101 site: Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place
Cliick the 'handgun ballistics' drop down menu then look for 9mm. The whole site is loaded with good shooting information.

Have fun - shoot safely!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the first ammo i used was ppu seemed to not eject the bullit after shot!!how much difference r the hollow points from the fmj??
I know the rounds I was using were pretty light, (don't remember how many grains) and it didn't
really like to feed them, so I would suggest trying heavier rounds if you can. And you should be able to use hollow points, just try some out at the range to make sure they feed ok.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
As mingaa stated, it will be fine to shoot those grains in your PT111. They will function differently, but due take a look at tightening up your grip as mentioned. Limp wristing can cause issues with failure to eject or extract.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have shot a few kinds of 115Gr FMJs with no issue. I have a bunch of 115Gr Nylon Jacket and Tul Ammo rounds I'm gonna try out at the range. For personal defense, I got some Hydra Shock 124Gr JHPs. I think 115Gr is the sweet spot for the range and 124Gr for defense. I would worry about anything higher because of the short length of the barrel, but that's just me. I wouldn't want to risk it with 147Gr or any kind of +P ammo (which the manual tells you not to use) unless I was just at the range.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally shooted today no jams or anything!!!!I started the 124 grain aguila and started using my american eagle 124 so far no jams !!!!Im soo happy had fun at the range today accept we had a little snow!!I feel more confident in handling my gun!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.