Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Story is from Sept 1, reading it I thought this was a new story. Glad it's not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Also interesting points, but there certainly are people who should NOT own firearms. There are people who are not responsible enough to do so, and that could result in ineligible people getting their hands on a legally owned gun. As in im legal, but my child is not. Or possibly my live in sibling is not. I would go so fast as to say EVERYONE should be taught firearm safety. And perhaps trained in safe use of firearms.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
IIRC, thye did this in a small town town in Georgia, I believe it was Kennesaw Mountain, and watched their crime rates drop dramatically.
And, I also remember the wimps and wussies saying how "it would be a bloodbath in the streets", and how that has not come to fruitation.
Then, look at Chiraq, Baltimore, Detroit (De toilet), and other pro-gun controlled towns, and their crime rates.
Makes you wonder, don't it?

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Also interesting points, but there certainly are people who should NOT own firearms. There are people who are not responsible enough to do so, and that could result in ineligible people getting their hands on a legally owned gun. As in im legal, but my child is not. Or possibly my live in sibling is not. I would go so fast as to say EVERYONE should be taught firearm safety. And perhaps trained in safe use of firearms.

Preach it, brother!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
It wouldn't reduce gun violence, only increase it. The few areas where criminals might now be scared to engage generally are non lethal encounters anyway. Nickel and dime robberies of liquor and convenient stores type stuff. The biggest factor is drug and gang related in inner cities. Those guys are armed already anyway, doesn't stop them one bit from gun violence, just changes up the tactics. It might drop "mass shootings" gun violence, but contrary to media those, even though they often can put up big numbers, are actually fairly minor factors in overall gun violence. There will always be soft targets. Schools, night clubs (do you really want hundreds of drunk armed people in a single location?), and such. Plus, the majority of those shooters already go in with the mindset most often of not coming out. Arming folks won't change their minds, again, just their tactics. It's easy to unload at least one magazine of ammo on a bunch of unsuspecting people engaged in day to day normal activity. Folks on gun forums love to think that arming the entire population would just make the problem go away, not seeming to realize that most people don't have the sheep dog mentality that we have to own guns and be on these forums in the first place. Most people fall into the sheep category, and don't want anything to do with carrying a firearm on their side or in their purse, or even in many cases owning a gun at all. The fact is gun violence has been dropping over the years, and pretty significantly. Suicides are up though, and many with firearms which gets grouped into gun fatality numbers which greatly skews the numbers and public perception. If you really want to reduce gun violence, the best option is to attack the root of the issue itself. Most of this violence comes from areas that are poverty stricken. Increase jobs, the economy, opportunity and education (which vastly increases opportunity), and you will have a much greater and more positive impact on gun violence than you will by arming the general populace, which in our country is already largely the case anyway with more guns than people, and a whole lot of people. Not a popular opinion on a gun forum admittedly, but the truth never the less.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/17/6580...cq3nuN3NtYfLIgO_gvIkoQ-BPBJfQREZDQtHh0LyUrIH0

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Let's see, this "Gun Violence" which is a verb ( a word used to describe an action, state, or occurrence )
is committed 99% of the time by a mentally disturbed individual who has the intent of dying by his own hand or forcing ELOs to do it for them. These nut cases fixate and obsess on the idea until they live it out. Where do they get their focus point, idea, driving point. Social media, social peer influence that in their sick minds lifts them up to drive their crazy train all the way to the wreck. Can't we get news, social media and kids taking about how shocked, out raged and disbelieved they are someone would jump off a cliff or get eaten by wild animals?
If you need proof that this gun violence is 99% socially engineered by what they see and hear look no further the tide soap pods.

Guns are not violent and tide doesn't whiten teeth.

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
IIRC, thye did this in a small town town in Georgia, I believe it was Kennesaw Mountain, and watched their crime rates drop dramatically.
And, I also remember the wimps and wussies saying how "it would be a bloodbath in the streets", and how that has not come to fruitation.
Then, look at Chiraq, Baltimore, Detroit (De toilet), and other pro-gun controlled towns, and their crime rates.
Makes you wonder, don't it?
We’ve done this in two Ga towns: Kennesaw (as mentioned) and another smaller town - Nelson, Ga. Interestingly enough, no blood running the streets but violent crime is down to near nothing? An armed society is a polite society!

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
We’ve done this in two Ga towns: Kennesaw (as mentioned) and another smaller town - Nelson, Ga. Interestingly enough, no blood running the streets but violent crime is down to near nothing? An armed society is a polite society!

I had/have a goof friend that lives in Kennesaw, we discussed this several times.
he said very few people went out a got a gun, it was primarily a STATEMENT made by the city leaders and citizens.
the people that owned guns kept their guns the ones that did not or were afraid of guns pretty much remained that way.
he said that he noticed no real difference in crime one way or the other as to this law.
things could have changed since I haven't spoke to him in several years.

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
I think what will change gun violence is a 30-40 year plan where parents start teaching (demanding) children have respect for others, then the ciminal justice system actaully start applying real penalities to people who commit crimes, regardless of a juvenile or not!
then we might start to see a change in gun violence, I mean the exact reverse is what got us to this point isn't it?
OPPS! hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings!!!

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Since common sense is now considered a super power, I'm not optimistic about the next generation of adults.

Males who don't know what a lug wrench looks like, or how to use it...

Mothers and fathers "forgetting" they left the baby in a 140 degree locked car...ad nausium.

How can they be trusted with a loaded gun?

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
Just some food for thought...

"There were some frontier towns where there were gun restrictions, such as in Tombstone, Arizona, where an 1881 law made it “unlawful to carry in the hand or upon the person or otherwise any deadly weapon within the limits of said city of Tombstone, without first obtaining a permit in writing.” Laws of this extent were mostly unheard of in most American cities and were unusual in the Old West. But even in this limited case, they proved ineffective. Perhaps the most famous gunfight in all of American history took place at the O.K. Corral between Tombstone authorities (including the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday) and associates of Ike Clanton, a rough-around-the-edges frontier character. As an article for NRA-ILA explains, “Tombstone of the 1880s is a peculiar model for those who today agitate for greater local authority to restrict or ban firearms.”

The notorious incident at the O.K. Corral took place in the closest equivalent to a “gun-free zone” in the 19th century. The gun control measure, such that it was, did little to stem gun violence, and likely provoked the infamous confrontation. Even the Smithsonian piece noted that Tombstone’s “most violent year was 1881, in which also only five people were killed; three were the cowboys shot by Earp’s men at the O.K. Corral."

From another article.......
During a 15-year period in the late 1880s, there was an average of only three murders a year in Abilene, Caldwell, Dodge City, Ellsworth and Wichita – the five Kansas cities that served as significant railroad stops. This was far lower than murder rates in the eastern cities of New York, Baltimore or Boston at the time. (The city with the most murders of the five was Dodge City, which had 17 over nine years, less than two murders per year.)

·
Premium Member
13,085 Posts
Well another school got shot up today, this one in California where the second has been all but trampled. Two dead and six shot is what I heard, The gunman is a 16 year old celebrating his birthday today. He supposedly turned his gun on himself, but so far has survived.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I believe there are municipalities that require gun ownership. But it will never work across the nation. Too many "questionable" citizens.

My cousin lived in Kennesaw GA at one time and I recall him saying gun ownership was required there. He had no problem with that, being an experienced hunter.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I had/have a goof friend that lives in Kennesaw, we discussed this several times.
he said very few people went out a got a gun, it was primarily a STATEMENT made by the city leaders and citizens.
the people that owned guns kept their guns the ones that did not or were afraid of guns pretty much remained that way.
he said that he noticed no real difference in crime one way or the other as to this law.
things could have changed since I haven't spoke to him in several years.
I was in Kennesaw overnight about a year and a half ago (summer of 2018?) and talked with a couple of residents. One of them didn't even know about the law, the other said it was basically a political statement by the city in response to a town in Illinois banning handguns. It hasn't been enforced and hasn't changed gun ownership one way or the other among the residents. The law has a conscientious objector clause, if you don't want to own a gun you don't have to. Although I support this conscientious objector clause for requiring gun ownership, I wish anti gun legislation also had a conscientious objector clause also. I conscientiously object to being a helpless defenseless victim against a deadly threat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts