Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used diamond plate aluminum crossover tool box with gull wing doors for my pickup yesterday. It's in really good condition, but the pads where the box sits on the top of the box need to be replaced. I've seen some use rubber strips, and I've seen soft plastic "brushy" type pads, glued to the bottom of the box arms. Anyone got any recommendations, pros'n'cons, one way or the other?

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Air conditioner vibration pads. I bought a sheet of these and have used them for many things. My brass tumbler sits on 4 of these and it sure reduces the noise a lot. One under each corner of the tool box and drill a whole through it for the mounting bolts to pass through. There are 64 to a sheet in the ones I bought. Find a local HVAC contractor and they will probably sell you 4.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
13,872 Posts
I just used the double stick foam tape that you get at any home improvement store, Walmart, Ace Hardware type stores. The package will read camper top tape. You can single ply it or double stack it. Should cost somewhere around $5.99 per roll. One roll is more than you will come close to needing.

It doesn't really isolate any vibration, if mounted tight and correct there should be no vibrations with or without the tape.

Also if you don't want to drill holes in the top rail of your truck bed, use "J" hooks to grasp under the bed top rail.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some self-adhesive rectangular furniture pads at my local Ace Hardware store. They're the kind of pads that stick to the bottoms of legs on furniture and chairs (round ones) to keep from scratching floors. I placed the sticky side against the bottom of the toolbox overhang so if I remove the box, there is no residual glue stuck to the top of the truck box. I anchored it with J-hooks and I'm good to go.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts