Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have considered getting a nitro piston air rifle for use here in the city...

AS far as what laws it would fall under, wouldn't it be under the same laws as all bb and pellet guns?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Many municipalities make few distinctions between any weapon that fires a projectile - despite what powers the device. Advice: check local laws carefully!

Reactions: jwc007

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
If it wasn't so pricey I would consider buying into one of those....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Air gun laws differ from state to state, but generally they aren't as regulated as firearms. That said you can order online and unless you live in New Jersey or Massachusetts, storm troopers won't come knocking on your door.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Very Pricey..

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Very, very interesting.......

800fps is fast enough to do something serious- like standard pressure .38 Special serious.

And this is factory stock. Imagine what could be done after one of the airgun smiths gets a hold of one and 'optimizes' the air system.

I sent this one to my Dad and he asked me what the range would be on it. After considering for a moment, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to treat it like a 4" .38 revolver- velocity wise, at least- as far as accurate range. For just hitting a target' like a Coke can or a clay pigeon, I'd say 100 yards. For hunting small game and making a 1 shot kill, I guestimate 50 yards- providing that air system proves to be able to produce a consistent velocity for enough shots to be useful in the field.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If it had a shorter barrel, it wouldn't be a bad HD choice for citizens who live in those places that prefer to keep you unarmed. But 24" barrels are going to be long for sneaking around corners in the average home, IMO anyway.... And when y'all said "pricey" , you weren't kidding! Lol

CreekFisher

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thanks for the post. I always think of air rifles as .17 or .22, and have owned some for taking care of gophers, etc. Didn't know they came this big and powerful - - - - - although not cheap.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
They even go up to 65 caliber. Obviously in Europe and other areas that have very strict gun laws, large caliber air rifles are quite popular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts