Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10,379 Posts
Ok, ya got me. I was expecting another hit piece after reading the title of the OP.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Looking for a crazed woman, and the laundry. I re-read the article a couple of times and didn't see either. All I saw was a woman who did an excellent job of defending herself against a terrible assault by a couple of jackasses. And did y'all notice her carry caliber? She did speak of getting a larger caliber, but I guess a .32 can work just fine when it is needed....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yeah, i have to take issue with the OP's thread title.
It is completely misleading. Title reads like it is coming from the LA Times or something.

Bravo for her not giving up. Agreed, she need a bigger gun and training.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Glad she was able to defend herself! My favorite quote: "That won't happen again, or if so, I'll have a bigger gun,"

I love that attitude! Full disclosure, I love a good .32 but I'm a fan of bigger is better! Atomic Annie would be a great piece, but kinda of hard to conceal! :D

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
I believe everyone didn't read the OP's first comment in the body of the thread. He stated that that would probably be the Headline Title if the story got picked up by a national media network. Did not intend to fool ya - just pointing out how headlines can be misleading. OP, along with us, sees the justification for the lady's actions.

I also believe that the story points out that caliber does not matter as much - a show of resistance is what mattered. We have all read or heard the stories where just showing a weapon in resistance caused the perps to flee. Well, just the act of firing got 'er done here.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A few observations:

1) The title of this thread is very misleading, as mentioned.

2) This story will NOT make national headline news for two reasons:
a) It is a story about someone using a gun legally to defend herself from a rape and/or robbery attempt
b) one of the attackers was wearing a hoodie and the media has been spending the last two weeks telling us that people wearing hoodies shouldn't be "profiled" as "suspicious"

3) A lot of people are in favor of the bigger is better argument, and it sounds like this lady is planning on an "upgrade", but if she had a bigger gun would it have been in her back pocket, or the purse in her car?

IMO, this is the perfect argument for why a small .32 or .380 is a better choice for some. I think if she had anything bigger, it would not have been on her and the outcome would've been much worse.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
3) A lot of people are in favor of the bigger is better argument, and it sounds like this lady is planning on an "upgrade", but if she had a bigger gun would it have been in her back pocket, or the purse in her car?

IMO, this is the perfect argument for why a small .32 or .380 is a better choice for some. I think if she had anything bigger, it would not have been on her and the outcome would've been much worse.
Not necessarily true, I've known a few women who carried big firearms. And some of them you look at them and think how?! With the right holster and clothing... I have seen a mabye 110 lb woman conceal a .45 acp 1911, and I aint talking commander size either! :)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Not necessarily true, I've known a few women who carried big firearms. And some of them you look at them and think how?! With the right holster and clothing... I have seen a mabye 110 lb woman conceal a .45 acp 1911, and I aint talking commander size either! :)
And a lot of women carry in their purse.... Just sayin'. She said she forgot she had it. That would indicate to me that she didn't carry it there very often. That's just the impression I got reading the article. Sounds to me like she put the gun in her back pocket on a whim. I could be wrong. I wish they had told what kind of gun it was. Whatever it was, it was enough to get the job done (sounds like it got the job done without even hitting anyone.) As a last resort, or if you aren't dressed to conceal a .45, it's much better than nothing.

I usually can't even carry the smallest 9mm's (LC9's, CW9's, even PM9's) without printing and I'm a 6' 175lb male. If I changed the way I dress maybe I could carry a .45, but I don't like wearing that kind of stuff. It's rarely cold enough here in AL to wear a jacket except for one or two months a year.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
And a lot of women carry in their purse.... Just sayin'. She said she forgot she had it. That would indicate to me that she didn't carry it there very often. That's just the impression I got reading the article. Sounds to me like she put the gun in her back pocket on a whim. I could be wrong. I wish they had told what kind of gun it was. Whatever it was, it was enough to get the job done (sounds like it got the job done without even hitting anyone.) As a last resort, or if you aren't dressed to conceal a .45, it's much better than nothing.

I usually can't even carry the smallest 9mm's (LC9's, CW9's, even PM9's) without printing and I'm a 6' 175lb male. If I changed the way I dress maybe I could carry a .45, but I don't like wearing that kind of stuff. It's rarely cold enough here in AL to wear a jacket except for one or two months a year.
Yeah I read that part too, but I can see it happening that she would temporarily forget. It could have been that she didn't carry often or that she carried so much it was second nature to feel it there and didn't immediately think about it... I personally have no problems with a .32, i love them actually, but I just love her mentality!

I never understood purse carry on a side note... aren't purses easy to loose and good targets?

I have trouble spotting women who carry though... I must have seen Dr. No a dozen times before I noticed Honey Ryder (Ursala Andress) had a dive knife! :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was just having fun with the headlines. Wishing the media would celebrate these folks and not vilify them when a story goes national. I've done this 2x here and I think that's enough for now.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Was the .32 big enough? Ask one of the thugs as he was beating feet; ....oh heeeell no..... hehehe, he didn't want any part of it

·
Registered
27,130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
The other was wearing a dark hoodie...

Maybe Geraldo was right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts