Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting since I was a kid. I have had a very impressive arsenal (if you count all of those that I sold/traded over the years), and still have a pretty full safe, but in my quest for the next gun I find myself wanting something totally different. A challenge I won’t immediately figure out and master.

I have had every type of rifle action except pump and had one SemiAuto become Full Auto when the firing pin broke. I still have bolt, lever, single, semiauto.

I have had every type of pistol action. I have had Single Action Revolvers, Double Action Revolvers, Double action only revolvers, single action autos, double action autos, SADA autos. TC contender as the single shot, and even a couple break barrel old school revolvers. I find myself looking at precision shooting type guns, and derringers. Yes, the far ends of the handgun spectrum.

I have had shotguns.... singles, sxs doubles, pumps, gas autos, recoil autos, but never an over under.

In muzzleloaders, I have only had single rifles, but I have had all 3 types, flintlock, caplock, in-line. I want a shotgun and a revolver. I have even legitimately kicked around the idea of muzzle loading field artillery, and will do it once I’m at a location where that is feasible.

Even kicking over to archery I have had compound, recurve,compound crossbow, recurve crossbow, fishing bow, hunting bow, competition bow.

i find myself bored with most guns now. The excitement of a new gun quickly wanes, and then I’m back to browsing for the occasional stupid cheap gunbroker deal. Do any of y’all have this issue? It’s even kept me from hunting now for 3 seasons, I just don’t care to keep chasing a whitetail because they truthfully aren’t hard to get. I don’t have the resources, connections, or spare time to go west to chase other critters.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I've owned a wide range of guns but not near as thorough as you. I still find myself drawn to the unusual too. Odd weapons interest me. That's why the Tarus .45 colt pump rifle id on my list. Some guys like havinf ten AR-15's. That doesn't interest me. I have two and the search continues for the unique.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
You didn't say if you have had open bolt weapons. If not, you might want to look into those as some of them are a bear to shoot accurately. I'm thinking of an open bolt MAC 10 specifically. That is one of the reasons I can mount mine on a tripod.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Atlatl, maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I'm not qualified nor inclined to analyze it, but I believe it would probably be listed as some sort of syndrome that seems to be rather common among gun owners, myself included. Right now I have 3 safes that are full to overflowing and 8 long guns that won't fit in any of them. For the most part I love each and every one of them and hate the idea of ever parting with any of them and yet still know I should. I haven't explored archery as much as you have, but do hunt with a crossbow and shoot a compound bow. Having said all of this I still cannot stop myself from buying more on an almost weekly basis. None of them bear any dust as I go shooting weekly and sometimes many times each week. How many big game rifles, AR platform rifles or carry guns does one need? Those 3 groups make up 90% of my weapons collection. The urge for just "one more" doesn't go away and lately I find myself moving more towards long range heavy barreled rifles. While this may be a sickness or some sort of mania, I really have no real desire for a cure.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
How many guns of any sort does one need?

Just one more than what you already have, of course.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Used to be "just because I want one" was reason enough to buy something new.

Now I look at what I have and ask "Why do I need it ?".

Everything I have works, I'm satisfied with the quality sure they'll outlive me.

Only thing I would like to have and can justify is a Shield in .40 but I'd get rid
of the PT709 to get it.

I do understand where the OP is coming from.

Funny, at my age, I kind of feel the same way about women too.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My savage Striker ALWAYS puts a smile on my face! Even if it's just taking it out of the safe to handle it. Mine is chambered in .308 Winchester and to be honest, the recoil is not that bad. Pair it with a good scope and you could get into long range silhouette shooting. I have only shot mine at 100 yards so far, but I do plan to move out to 300 eventually. Although these have been out of production for several years, they can still be found on Gunbroker frequently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I've hit a wall. I've thought about selling all my random firearms and concentrating on a stable of higher end 1911's.

For some reason I can't part with them. Probably because at one time, I had to sell everything, but a few select(first shottie etc.) to eat and I swore I'd never do it again.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I guess you guys are talking about guns you owned, but as far as firing......M2, M60, M3 and M3A1, M16A2, M1, M14, M1911A1, M9, AK, AKM, and an assortment of other foreign small arms. Then there were the recoiless rifles, M-72 LAW, M79, 25mm Bushmaster, Javelin and Tow. Indirect fire, 81mm, and 4.2" mortars. Called in fires for 105mm and 155mm and, of course the mortars. Drove the M113A1 and M113A2 tracked vehicles, and flew an OH-58 (long story). And I am probably forgetting a number of weapons I just don't remember off the top of my head, and I am not even counting wheeled vehicles or this list would be really long.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
WK, I understand completely what you are trying to say. Other shooters also share your predicament. I don't know what shooting different guns in the past has to do with your question but I do understand the what shall I buy next problem. My advice is that you consider picking out a particular type or style of gun and build a collection within that parameter

As an example let me say that my main interest or Obsession is with Rimfire firearms. I probably own more 22 caliber firearms than 99% of the people on The Forum have total guns in their collections. The number of interesting 22 caliber firearms as well as the oddball one of a kind or just plain odd 22 firearms is incredible! If you combine handguns and long guns there are more varieties of 22 then anyone can possibly collect in one lifetime. For me, this is one way that I stay interested in what guns I wish to add to my pile.

As far as other guns in my collection I have long outgrown the need for any single gun. Every gun I buy today other than 22 caliber is simply a matter of seeing something that catches my eye because it is different, quaint, or I simply think I want it and then buy it. I may be surfing on the net and spot a gun, reading through the auction sites and seeing a gun that catches my eye or maybe it's just a gun that I see at the SHOT show or I hear someone talking about at the range. My local gun shop is used to me and when I come in the door and ask for something new limited or Oddball that I saw somewhere they just take that in stride. The owner of the gun store starts to search and whether he finds it next week or eight months down the road he gets it and I buy it. I have been buying from him for a long time so there's never any reason to bargain over a price or to refuse to buy something at the price he wishes to sell it to me for. For the same reason I will see a gun on an auction site and rather than buy it through the auction I will let my gun shop hunt it down for me and keep my dollars local
I always have a list of guns anywhere from 2 to 7 or 8 at my gun shop that he is currently searching for. I never know when I'm going to get a phone call that he found one and I will go get it.

The latest example of this is the last handgun I purchased. It is a bond 9 mm Bullpup pistol. The design of the gun is amazing to me and as soon as I saw one it became something I had to have. I waited 7 or 8 months for my dealer to get me one. The last really interesting 22 that I added to the file is a 22 caliber Garand rifle that is an absolute accurate reproduction of a full caliber Garand right down to the weight of the gun style of sites and all of the accessories that came with it.

Yes, buying the guns that I want the way I buy them cost money. I am aware of this and I am very very privileged to be at a place in my life where I can spend this kind of money. However, the cost of these guns is part of what makes them different enough to be in my collection.

Pick something you really like and focus on collecting as many different examples of that as you can find. Maybe it will be Smiths, or Colts, or ruger's, or something specialized like H&R 22 pistols of which you can spend years searching for and buying and still not have all the different models available. I guess I'm saying don't look at the whole herd focus on an individual type or Style.

Good luck and I hope something I may have said here will help you get back the enjoyment of buying and collecting different firearms.

Don

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Maybe getting into something like 3 gun competitions would help, then you could get really acquainted with the guns you have now and learn to get faster/more accurate with them and if they didn't satisfy you then you could get into racing guns. That might add a new challenging twist to the boring old hum-drum. Then, if you have a leisure range day the old might seem exciting again.

That or you just might have to learn to be satisfied with what you have. There's a lot to be said for that as well. I also realize that's a lot easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I have a sub-disorder. I am only interested in handguns, and my interest in handguns is closely tied to shooting them. I have the same level of desire as most but when the collection (all handguns) expands to point that it's just not possible to fire at a minimum 500 rounds a year through each I get perplexed. Something has to go. It drives me crazy not shooting them, and it drives me crazy trying to pick which ones to cull.

At this point I have more than I can shoot, and I don't go to gun stores or gun shows. But sometimes they find me. A well priced classic S&W in the right configuration will always go home with me. There's a few I don't shoot but keep due to sentimental reasons.

I have to do something about my 9mm's /.380's. Between the two calibers I have five guns. I should cut that to two. I hate the 9mm. I love the .380. But who doesn't have a 9mm? What do I need two large high capacity .380's for? blah...blah...blah...blah...an endless loop of quandary. It's not even that I need the money at the moment, or want it for something else.

·
8,874 Posts
I recently paired down my collection to pay off some unexpected bills. So now am looking at big 10mm handguns as something different. The RIA Ultra FS 10 double stack or the XDM 10's. Why? Because I haven't added 10mm yet, and I want the challenge. I have several 22's, a 25, 2 380's, 1 9X18, a few 38's and 357's, several 9mm's, and a few 45's in handguns. DO you have any PCC's yet? I am loving my Mcarbo version Keltec Sub2K. It is amazingly accurate and just a hoot.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
You could always try casting. Casting and shooting your own bullets is a rewarding but perplexing hobby. Casting for handguns is not that hard once the basics are learned then graduating to casting for rifles brings a whole new challenge.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Maybe you should get one of those build your own brown beds muzzleloader kits. They also make one in a flintlock(?) pistol. Might be fun to tinker with building it, shooting it a bit, then you could sell it off for something else. Or you could invest into a trappers, or voyageur costume and go work at a historic park/site like an old trading post or something.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you want challenging,try long range flintlock or cap and ball,say over 150 yrds with traditional sights.
Isn't there some form of competition shooting where you lay on your back, prop the muzzle with a foot, and use only peep sights?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've loved guns since I was a kid, still like guns as an older duff and I've always liked to tinker. I tried my luck with squirrels, rabbits and fowl. Guess I never got bit by the hunting bug. I'd rather go fishing and drink beer. Still I had a fascination with firearms that needed fulfilling. Collecting and shooting old oddball milsurps easily fills that bill. I love the feeling of bringing an old battle rifle up to the firing line and seeing how well it shoots. I reload nearly every caliber I shoot, so that adds to the fun.

The results of the North Hollywood B.O.A. robbery back in 1997, where 20 people got shot up(12 were police officers) by two well armed psychos... well that got me more interested in long range handgun shooting. Now I like collecting old cop guns.

I have a hard time getting in range time, being a care giver for our disabled daughter and all that entails. My wife works 3rd shift down at the hospital. Seems like what me time I have is slim to none.

As of late I binge stream some video series on Amazon Prime as I hand polish three stainless revolvers in rotation. Remove the grips, smear a little Midway alcohol based case cleaner all over, drop them in a sock for polishing, repeat.

I never get bored with firearms. I may sell one of mine to someone who wants it more than I. Any profits usually burn a hole in my pocket down at the LGS.

Lot's of options in the gun world. Step up to the trough and feed your craving.

Reactions: BangBang
1 - 20 of 45 Posts