Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gathering my brass at the range today, and I found a 9 mm case with a crack stretching 2/3 of the way from the rim to the base. I have no idea if it was mine or not (FC 9 mm headstamp).

I cleaned my firearm and I did not see any damage, FWIW.

Is it dangerous to have a cartridge case crack in the chamber while firing?

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Case cracks are not uncommon and is usually due to repeated reloadings.

And no, it's not dangerous, unless the "handload" is grossly over factory proof load limits.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! If the cracked case came from a commercial reloader, is it something I need to worry about, that perhaps they're not inspecting or annealing their brass? It's a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I had a Federal American Eagle 9mm case split on me.
SN850005.JPG

·
Super Moderator
40,583 Posts
Most of the nickel cases I find at the range are cracked, not sure if they were someones reloads or not??? I have often wondered why?

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
I was gathering my brass at the range today, and I found a 9 mm case with a crack stretching 2/3 of the way from the rim to the base. I have no idea if it was mine or not (FC 9 mm headstamp).
I cleaned my firearm and I did not see any damage, FWIW.
Is it dangerous to have a cartridge case crack in the chamber while firing?
New ammo, likely a bad piece of brass!
reloaded ammo likely reloaded past its useful life span!
Actually most if not all brass that i have seen rupture from excessive pressure in a semi auto has always blown out the side of the case near the extractor groove, which is the unsupported area in most semi autoes.
Now i have sene some Cowboys that were friends that hot loaded some revolvers and couldn't even get the cases to eject without pounding on the ejector rod and some were cracked down the sides.
personally I think thats just crazy to load like that.
While not overly dangerous its not a desirable condition and I certinly wouldn't want it to occur with my gun(s).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts