Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/CPL_Annual_Report_01-04-2018_611131_7.pdf

The above report on statistics relating to CPL holders is probably of interest only to those of us who live in Michigan, but I draw some conclusions that are most likely of wider significance.
Out of roughly 1/2 million CPL holders in Michigan there were more than 2,000 convictions for crimes. That rate is higher than I expected. Now, it's still indicative of an awfully law-abiding group with a crime rate of ~0.4%, but it is higher than I expected.

Anyway, I found it interesting reading.

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Yeah, well, I have evil thoughts too.
You need to stop reading articles on Facebook........:p

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if multiple convictions could have been attributed to any individuals. That would bring down the percentage.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
We may be missing a key factor. Carrying a weapon is very attractive to nefarious characters. Although the majority are folks like you and me, many have an ulterior motive. It's not surprising at all to me.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/CPL_Annual_Report_01-04-2018_611131_7.pdf

The above report on statistics relating to CPL holders is probably of interest only to those of us who live in Michigan, but I draw some conclusions that are most likely of wider significance.
Out of roughly 1/2 million CPL holders in Michigan there were more than 2,000 convictions for crimes. That rate is higher than I expected. Now, it's still indicative of an awfully law-abiding group with a crime rate of ~0.4%, but it is higher than I expected.

I'd be careful about drawing conclusions just from one set of raw numbers. An anti gun group once listed all the Ohio concealed carry license holders who have allegedly committed crimes (any crime at all whether it was related to a gun or not) in an attempt to portray licensed concealed carry as bad. What they didn't state (IMO on purpose) to state was

A: the actual small percentage of those people compared to CHL holders who haven't been accused of a crime, and

B: when someone looked into the number of law enforcement officers in Ohio using the same standard as the anti gun group used, the numbers were actually slightly higher than the civilian CHL holders, even though the percentage was still very small. If you strictly looked at the numbers, you might conclude that CHL holders are more law abiding than the police.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Interest that more were issued and received by 279.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if multiple convictions could have been attributed to any individuals. That would bring down the percentage.
There may be some double-counting. Notice on page 11, there's a bunch of "Firearms" offenses, including carrying a concealed weapon. How is that possible if the person had a permit? Not a lot of numbers there but still, it raises questions.

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
I noticed some motor vehicle, traffic offenses included in the convictions. I stopped there. Seems they include everything major and very minor. Gets the stats they want.

Reactions: Rotorflyr

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

Must be something in Michigan because, nationally, concealed carriers are more law abiding than law enforcement.

You might want to head over to Dr Lott's site, https://crimeresearch.org/ , and take a look at the numbers from other states and nationally. In some states like Texas and Florida, LEO's are about 6 times more likely to commit a crime than concealed carriers.

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good question. I don't know the answer, but it seems likely.

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There may be some double-counting. Notice on page 11, there's a bunch of "Firearms" offenses, including carrying a concealed weapon. How is that possible if the person had a permit? Not a lot of numbers there but still, it raises questions.
Michigan has a Concealed Pistol License. Could have been a not-pistol weapon.

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I am well aware of how good these numbers really are, CPL holders are better than average. But still, not quite as good as I expected. That's more a comment on my expectations. I realize that the country would be in darn good shape if the population as a whole reflected these statistics. I just wish we could do even better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
. If you strictly looked at the numbers, you might conclude that CHL holders are more law abiding than the police.
Statistically speaking (Nationwide) there was another study besides the one linked to Dr.Lott that showed just that (though likely the sources of info are the same)....I'll try and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Can't speak to the specific laws in MI but some states the permit only covers handguns and not other weapons

*edit: MadKaw noted this is the case with MI permits

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Can't speak to the specific laws in MI but some states the permit only covers handguns and not other weapons

*edit: MadKaw noted this is the case with MI permits
Well, I wouldn’t get too worked up over madKaw’s cypherin’ lately; he’s just going through a phase - in case ya hadn’t noticed his recent avatar . . .

An all ‘em cave drawings he’s got in his Sig . . . . well, you know, it releases the stress

Reactions: Rotorflyr
1 - 20 of 24 Posts