Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three more .22's to occupy me during my China virus isolation.

I picked up an old & abused Remington 550-1, a pretty little Glenfield M20 and a beautiful Gustloff model 317K.

This is my third m550-1. It had a long, productive life, judging from the looks of it. The Fluff & Buff process is in full swing.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Looks like you're in for some enjoyable times. I had a Glenfield M20 years ago and it was a tack driver with whatever you fed it. Mags are still available too.

Reactions: jwc007 and Lomax

·
8,337 Posts
Nice trio of shooters. The restoration looks like fun to me, but I am a weirdo.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you're in for some enjoyable times. I had a Glenfield M20 years ago and it was a tack driver with whatever you fed it. Mags are still available too.
This Glenfield isn't in need of TLC, except it is missing its magazine. The price was right, so it followed me home... trouble is the mags are out of production and I'm having difficulty locating one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice trio of shooters. The restoration looks like fun to me, but I am a weirdo.
My first rifle purchase was a used 550. Gene down at Brea Hardware, had two Remington .22's traded in by the local 4H club. Both were severely abused and in need of cleaning.

As I observed, Gene began cleaning the two rifles, the 550 soon became my clear favorite over M66. I gave Gene two saw bucks and out the door I went.

The 550 most recently purchased is the third one I've owned over the years. It was rough as a corncob, but its the only one that still retained its ugly shell deflector.

Attachments

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ain't the experienced rifles fine?

Reactions: Lomax

·
Super Moderator
35,554 Posts
That 550 had seen some hard time, but you're breathing life into it already! Looking forward to seeing that baby turn into a swan.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
This Glenfield isn't in need of TLC, except it is missing its magazine. The price was right, so it followed me home... trouble is the mags are out of production and I'm having difficulty locating one.
I believe you might get a magazine or two at one of these links. The link on e-bay has a high price but he has been able to find me a couple magazines that I thought I would never find.

Don

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AL...232291?hash=item289d637323:g:fx0AAOSwcNJfYowW

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/mar...rounds-steel-blued-71903/FC-026495040468.html

https://www.fristomx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=343498

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
Congrats on your three new to you bolt guns.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The grain really pops out now compared to its old finish. This is the fourth coat of shellac, waiting to be carded down. Four coats of Tru-Oil will follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ain't the experienced rifles fine?
The experience of this gun parallels child abuse.

Although this 550-1 looked like it came from the bottom pile of some buy back guns, not a screw head was damaged and the shell deflector was still attached. Liberal applications of used motor oil kept it running, and the bore is still shiny & bright. The bead of the front sight had been snapped off and the heel plate is shattered, probably from being tossed around lie cord wood.

This morning I epoxied a nice arrow head to accent its pistol grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now we're waiting in the heel plate and new front sight to arrive.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whilst in limbo waiting for parts to arrive, I turned my attention to the Glenfield Model 20. For a 40+ y.o. rifle, it is in remarkably nice shape. I counted 5 handling marks on the entire rifle. Its birch walnut stained stock has some interesting grain figuring and the flat finish as 95% intact. Not much to do but clean & shoot it. Although its mag is missing, two new mags are on order and should arrive within 10-20 days.

Next up, the Gustloff 317K training rifle.

The top of the chamber is marked "MOD. 317K / shield / GUSTLOFF-WERKE / Waffenwerk Suhl", the top of the barrel at the breech end is marked "FLUSS - STAHL KRUPP-ESSEN" and the left rear is marked "KAL. 22 LONG RIFLE eagle/N proof" followed by the serial number. Blade front sight and tangent style rear sight graduated to 200 meters. Mounted with a one piece walnut pistol grip stock with a "BSW" marked checkered hard rubber heel plate, checkered wrist, forearm finger grooves and sling swivels.
Condition is very good. The rifle retains 90% original finish with some light spotting on the barrel. The stock is also excellent with a number of small minor scratches on the forearm area and a few minor dings. The markings remain crisp and clear. The action is fine. A clear & bright Weaver D4 scope(missing a turret cap) is mounted to the receiver.

BBL: 26 1/2 inch round

Stock: walnut
Gauge: 22 LR
Finish: blue
Grips:

[SUP]This rifle is a jewel I can't wait to buff. [/SUP]

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fluffed and buffed the stock of the Gustloff. Gorgeous piece of walnut. Now I'm chomping at the bitt waiting for the Tru-Oil to harden up before reassembling the rifle.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Very tastefully done restorations on these .22 Rifles! :cool:

Thankyou for a very enjoyable Post and Pictures! :smile:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts