Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The economic shutdown in Wuhan and environs caused such a decrease in air pollution that overall mortality decreased by about 45,000 people. (Some contribution probably also due to a decrease in transportation deaths.)

(From Freakonomics podcast The Side Effects of Social Distancing.)

Note: nobody is saying that this is a reason to not fight the pandemic... just ponder the law of unintended consequences.

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
Well, being indoors reduces the chance of skin cancers in the future...which is fresh on MY mind. :lol:

Reactions: MadKaw

·
21,961 Posts
The economic shutdown in Wuhan and environs caused such a decrease in air pollution that overall mortality decreased by about 45,000 people.
Anyone who thinks the effects of years of exposure to air pollution can be that precisely analyzed is kidding themselves. And I know how bad air pollution is in China; I've seen it first hand.

And this is just a few weeks, maybe a couple of months. Against years - decades - of exposure. I'd bet those numbers are high by a factor of ten, maybe more. But we'll never know.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone who thinks the effects of years of exposure to air pollution can be that precisely analyzed is kidding themselves. And I know how bad air pollution is in China; I've seen it first hand.

And this is just a few weeks, maybe a couple of months. Against years - decades - of exposure. I'd bet those numbers are high by a factor of ten, maybe more. But we'll never know.
The researchers said it was estimated... I went for dramatic effect. Doesn't really matter whether it is 20,000 or 50,000, point is that people usually forget the law of unintended consequences and that many things are going on other than the ones that catch our attention.

(Note the question mark in the heading...) It's a reminder to keep thinking.

·
21,961 Posts
t's a reminder to keep thinking.
I suppose it's impossible for me to be sure, but I believe that's what I was doing.... :D

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
The researchers said it was estimated... I went for dramatic effect. Doesn't really matter whether it is 20,000 or 50,000, point is that people usually forget the law of unintended consequences and that many things are going on other than the ones that catch our attention.

(Note the question mark in the heading...) It's a reminder to keep thinking.
So, we can look for cases of constipation related illnesses to rise exponentially due to the TP shortage?

·
Registered
7,479 Posts

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, we can look for cases of constipation related illnesses to rise exponentially due to the TP shortage?
In a word... yes.

After all 1 = e[sup]0[/sup]... an exponential equation.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Along the same thoughts of cleaner air in China the Canals in Venice, Italy have cleared up to the point you can see fish. Swans and Dolphins have returned to the canals. Nature is quickly taking over. As people return to the water ways the sediment will again get stirred up and the water will no longer be clear again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts