Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
COVID-19 PT145 Millennium Pro Revival

I bought a PT145 Millenium Pro waaaayyyyyy back before and the kerfuffle about the ability to force them into an unsafe condition buy doing something that there's no reason any intelligent person would ever do. (But I won't digress down that rabbit hole here.) Anyway, it's always been a great gun! Accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot, good looking (I know that's subjective) and a great combo of caliber/capacity/size. I felt to compulsion to give it back to Taurus during the recall, so I kept it. It was my EDC for quite a while, but for the past few years my Khar CM9 has taken over, simply because it's so easy to conceal in the Central Texas heat.

So fast forward to the current pandemic and a lot of people are strapped for cash and selling off guns for a quick buck. I've been fortunate enough to keep working (hell, I've been gotten less time off than before the "shut down") and I was thinking about picking up a new gun for HD duty. Maybe a full-size, mega-capacity 9mm. This has an attraction to me as I've never owned a service sized handgun. Everything I have is carry sized and has the limited capacity that accompanies a thin pistol with an abbreviated grip. Plus I could use it as a sidearm when taking tactical shotgun or carbine courses.

But then I started thinking about fiscal responsibility (damn this whole 'being an adult' thing!), and the fact that you can only shoot one gun at a time (unless you're John Wick). So I opened up the ol' gun safe and took another look at my PT145. At 10+1, the round count isn't too shabby and it does throw a sizable hunk of lead with each shot. Plus, I already had 2 of the 12-round mags with spacers to them feel like part of the grip. I had read that Paraordnance mags work as well, so I ordered a 13 and 14-rounder for testing. Turns out they DO work perfectly. While I don't have the gap-filler to make them look pretty, the grip is just fine with my pinkie wrapped around the bare mag.

Now, I already had a very compact Stingray 635 laser mounted to the vestigial bit of rail under the barrel. But one thing that I feel is a must on an HD gun is a good light. You should never be shooting at something that you haven't positively identified. But the short length of the barrel and rail presented a bit of a challenge. I know it's okay for a light to extend past the muzzle, but I really hate the look of that kind of setup, plus I wanted to keep things compact enough to still use the gun as a concealed carry piece. To add to the challenge, I really still wanted a laser on it, too. So I started looking and laser/light combo units and determined that the two most compact ones were the Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro and the Viridian C5L. I ordered both (with green lasers) to see which, if either, would do the job. I found that the CT unit stuck too far forward for my liking.

The Viridian was really close to perfect. It came with several mounting pieces, and the one that was supposed to work for my gun fit right up against the trigger guard and the laser/light only extended about 1/4 inch past the muzzle. Not perfect, but pretty good. Then I took a look at the other mounting brackets and realized one of them would push the laser back right about 1/4 inch, if only the trigger guard wasn't in the way. I measured the needed room and realized that all I needed to do was take the "hook" off the trigger guard, giving it a flatter front face and a more rounded transition at the bottom. Since this gun will never be a collector piece, and I have a general lack of fear when it comes to screwing things up with DIY projects, I headed out to my belt sander and did a little bit of grinding. It didn't take much to gain the needed room and I was able to slide the laser back to where I wanted it. Success!

If you managed to read through my long-winded diatribe, here's the payoff. If you just skipped straight to the pics, that's okay, too!

Almost perfectly flush with the muzzle.

Modifying the trigger guard also made the activation buttons easier to reach.

The business end with 100 lumen LED light and green laser:

Some pics of the different mags in the handgun:
Original 10-rounds

Taurus 12 rounds with adapter

Mec-Gar 14 rounds

My next project will be to build a couple of holsters for the new combo. At least one IWB and one paddle-type OWB. The Viridian has a pretty cool instant-on feature that will activate the light/laser as you draw if you have a magnet embedded in the right spot in the holster. I'll definitely work that feature into my holster design.

Gotta head to work now, but I'll post more thoughts on the Viridian unit and some pics of it in used later today.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
I never understood why capacity is such a big deal. Most times I carry a revolver, usually 5 shot .357 magnum and I set it on the bedside table at night. I have a PT145 and a TH9c, but the little 605 poly is more compact, lighter, and fires my all time fave round, the .357 Magnum, so it most often goes with me. My only back up anymore is an NAA mini revolver. Used to carry my 85UL as back up and I still can, but I just don't see the need. There's no gangs in Columbus, Texas, county seat of Colorado county and a town of about 3K souls, no one there that really wants to die, which is what would happen if they took ME on, no brag, just fact. :D When I go to Houston, I take my TH9c with the higher cap mags, but I rarely go there. I prefer isolation in the woods. :rofl:

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
I love my PT145 too.

Which Mec Gar Paraordinance magazines are you using?

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
I never understood why capacity is such a big deal. Most times I carry a revolver, usually 5 shot .357 magnum and I set it on the bedside table at night. I have a PT145 and a TH9c, but the little 605 poly is more compact, lighter, and fires my all time fave round, the .357 Magnum, so it most often goes with me. My only back up anymore is an NAA mini revolver. Used to carry my 85UL as back up and I still can, but I just don't see the need. There's no gangs in Columbus, Texas, county seat of Colorado county and a town of about 3K souls, no one there that really wants to die, which is what would happen if they took ME on, no brag, just fact. :D When I go to Houston, I take my TH9c with the higher cap mags, but I rarely go there. I prefer isolation in the woods. :rofl:
I only have two magazines for my Gen3 PT145 Mil-Pro.

From my understanding, the Pro Mag ones will not work in my Gen 3 and I cannot find any OEM ones.

So, I would love some Mec Gar ones that would work regardless of the capacity.

I just have never known which ones will work.

I love my PT145 and still carry it often.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
21,940 Posts
Great post and nice setup, Warhammer! My nightstand gun has the same capacity, no light, but tritium sights and a longer sight radius. And a flashlight for the weak hand. I have a lot of respect for .357 magnum. It's one of the all time great handgun rounds. But I'll take 15 .45 ACP over five .357.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts

From my understanding, the Pro Mag ones will not work in my Gen 3 and I cannot find any OEM ones.

My para ordinance mags are Mec Gar, the 14 rounders, and I think I got 'em from magazine warehouse IIRC. They work great in the gun.

I just don't like all that weight on my belt, why I carry my .357. I carry 2 speed strips for it and carry 'em in a pants pocket. I'd rather rely on skill than firepower. :tongue: :D If I were invading Omaha beach, I'd want more firepower, preferably in an M1.

Reactions: RScottie

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
It would be nice if Taurus released a G-Series .45. It would probably sell like hotcakes.
Well, if they sold a TH45c, I'd be all over it like stink on.......:D....uh, poo.

It's a little pricey, but I still might get a Springfield Armory XDe in .45.

Reactions: RScottie

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Well, okay, all this chat about the PT145, I loaded mine and a spare mag and I'm going to carry it to our church board meeting tonight, not sure why, but I got enthused. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
My PT-145 has a forever place in my family of defensive tools...

MOONDOWG, I had a PT145 for over 10yrs. Loved it although I only put about 700rds through it the whole time. I got rid of it last winter when I purchased a G2C and a Glock 21 Gen 4. I love both of those guns but I regret letting go of my PT145. I’m a big boy and willing to admit most of my mistakes. I miss my PT145.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Capacity ain’t everything to everybody. It’s not nothing either. Most times, capacity isn’t appreciated until you’re in a situation and need more. Considering where I live and hang out, I don’t expect to “need” anything. But if ever I do, I want to be more likely to have enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I love my PT145 too.

Which Mec Gar Paraordinance magazines are you using?

Promags are pretty much garbage, no matter what gun they are for. Mec-Gar made the original mags for Paraordnance (and a lot of other quality guns). I got the Paraordnance P13 (13 rounds) and P14 (14 rounds) mags. The P14 mag came from Grabagun.com for $23. CDNN has the 13 rounders for $10.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's good to see there are others, like myself, who didn't send their PT145 back to Taurus for the pittance that was offered. I still think it's a great gun! There just aren't very many sub-compact pistols in 45ACP out there that aren't 1911 derivatives. I agree with those who wish Taurus would come out with a modern version.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what the Viridian C5L laser/light looks like in a dark hallway.

Laser only

Light only

Both

The light has several modes and all of them are customizable. To cycle through the modes, you pres the right and left activation buttons at the same time.
- Light
- Laser
- Light and Laser
- Strobing laser
- Strobing light with solid laser (I like this mode best)
- Solid light with strobing laser
To customize the settings, you press and hold both activation buttons for several seconds. Then you can independently adjust the brightness of the light and the laser, and the strobing rate of the light and the laser.

The 100 lumen light is not as bright as many of the tactical lights out there (let's face it, you can only fit so much light into such a compact package), but it's more than enough for inside a home or for "normal" shooting distances outside at night. No, you can't use it to read the wing markings on a passing airplane, but you can easily identify a target at any range that a civilian could legally engage at night. (For reference, my front door in the pics above is 30 feet away.) I think that with weapon mounted lights, brighter is not always better. If I just woke up and grabbed my bedside gun, I don't want a light so bright that it blinds me when I activate it. especially with the strobe effect, (Viridian says it puts out 140 lumens on strobe) the light would certainly dazzle anyone it's pointed at, but it's not bright enough to do the same to the guy who's aiming it.

The 5 mW green laser is really strong. Viridian says it's visible at 100 yards in the daylight and 2 miles at night! (Not that I'll be taking out any 2 mile targets with a subcompact 45ACP, LOL!) It's bright enough that you can actually see the laser beam between you and your target at close range. I have several red lasers, but this is the first green laser that I've used. I have to say that I now understand what all the hubbub is about! The green laser is easier to see on every type of background and in every lighting condition. I definitely think it was worth the extra cost over the red version of the C5L.

Overall, I think the C5L is a great combo unit in a really compact package. It's certainly the only laser and light that will fit the rail of a PT145 without jutting out way past the muzzle. Even if you're not willing to modify your trigger guard as I did, it will still keep you pistol compact enough to carry concealed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While I'm posting pics, here are some of my primary carry holster for my PT145. I wanted something that carry high and tight to the body, but was possible to take off easily if I needed to. It also had to accommodate my laser. So I came up with this leather/Kydex hybrid OWB holster. It has "pull the dot" one-way snaps on the belt loops. I contoured it to stay really tight to my side and tuck the butt of the gun in as much as possible. I made it to cant pretty far forward, which is necessary to have a natural feeling draw from such a high-riding holster.

It conceals pretty well under just a t shirt.

(No judgement on the belly fat in the next pics, please. lol! I've lost about 65 pounds since these were taken.)

This holster was really comfortable to use and served me well for years. I think I'm going to make another one to fit the new laser. Since the C5L has Viridian's Instant-On feature, I'm going to build that into the holster as well. I have a sheet of Multicam Kydex that I'm going to use for this holster. Just because it's a concealed holster doesn't mean you can't have a little fun with it. Will building a concealed holster out of camo make it even more concealed?

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
...well, if you're wearing a camo shirt? :D

Reactions: Warhammer

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
As an old duck hunter, I love my camo. :D My wife even made me a camo surgical mask for COVID rejection. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts