Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
22,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a pair of holsters that I thought some of you might like to see. One is for the woods, and the other is for more urban environs.

I am considering using the HiPower I recently acquired for summertime church carry. Slim, high capacity, condition one, and in this example, great trigger and sights. Since it's for summer, I wanted to be able to conceal it as easily as possible, so I went with an IWB design. I won't want to have a tshirt underneath the outer shirt in the summertime, so I gave it a generous swe... anti-rubbing shield.

That shield protects me and the gun well, but jamming your hand down between the shield and the grip is tougher than it with without a shield, so I added a relief cut that enables half of the shield to flex away from the grip during the draw. It works well; I'm pleased with it.

The belt loop is only sewn to the scabbard at the bottom, so I can do the tuck-the-shirt-in-outside-the-holster routine. I've never carried that way, so I'll have to practice a lot, especially the draw.

The other holster is for my 4" Security Six. I previously had only one holster for that gun, and it isn't subtle. It's a full flap holster, and although the photo doesn't shot it, it's on a shoulder strap that makes it hang at the low right hip position. The interesting design feature of this holster is that the flap is held shut by a supermagnet grabbing a cabochon cut from an iron meteorite.

I like this holster, but it's pretty limited in when I'd want to use it. So I made this. I can put it on any belt. It has good retention, and with a bit longer cover garment, I can wear it into town in addition to hikes. It's fully lined with pigskin, as you can tell from the natural sinew sewing around the edges. The laced seam is kangaroo leather. Very, very tough. My wife really likes this one.

So, hope someone finds this interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Very nice. I've been doing some holster work with kydex, but that stuff ain't near as attractive as the ones you made.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Very nice. :D I really like the flap holster for outdoors carry. :D

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Awesome! Nice work! I too like the flap holster but for pure beauty its the bear for the win!

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Those are very nice holsters,congrats!:cool:

·
22,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might be the most complicated combination of tooling and wet forming I've ever attempted. I think it turned out pretty well.

DSC00506.JPG

I made it for a good friend who just got his first 1911. He went with a Rock Island Tactical, if you're curious.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nice engineering on the 1st IWB, the 3rd is a work of art and the 2nd with the meteorite is out of this world. Good work on all three.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
? Meteorite? I must have missed one of the pictures. All I see is a plain holster, a holster with a bear, and a holster with an eagle. I think the one I like best is the flap holster. I would prefer it to be a little darker but I really like the holster, the shape, and how comfortable it looks. Something like that for my stainless S&W model 19 with a 4 inch barrel would be great.

Don

·
22,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The flap holster, the one on the wooden background with some turquoise paint remnants, has a piece of iron meteorite on the flap.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
They are all very nice - your workmanship is extremely good. I especially like the one on the 45.

I like your IWB - The high flap is an option I have never tried yet, but from seeing yours, it will happen soon. Doesn't the gun tend to slip around in there? It looks roomy, to say the least. The suede IWB's I have made seem to me to be much more successful when they fit the gun very closely. But maybe that's just me, I prefer a forward cant whether inside or outside the belt.

Flash

·
22,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Flash!

It does look roomy, but it's more rigid than you might think; veg tanned leather, wet formed (not very precisely; too much of that on an IWB and it will be tough to draw), with a belt outside it. The only shifting I've noticed has been because the belt strap is attached down at the bottom seam. That allows the angle to change a bit.

I made an IWB once, smooth side in, that was so tight it actually clicks like a kydex holster would. The draw is a bit tough on that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts