Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, but it appears many of you know exactly how many rounds you have fired through each handgun you own. Is there a reason you guys seen to keep track of that?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I keep (super) loose track based on how many 500 or 1k boxes of bullets I've bought to reload for a particular caliber and what gun I've shot most of it through.

Beyond that, it's pretty much an, "I dunno for sure -- a bunch," or, ". . . not a whole lot," situation.

·
10,379 Posts
Like Walker keep track of how many bullets I've bought to reload and factory. On a weekend shoot I generally will put 200 rounds down the pipe so I can keep a rough estimate that way as well. Honestly I've lost track now of how many I've sent through the 1911 and my .22, I know I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k on the .22 and 13-15k on the 1911. The rest I never kept track of at all so all I know for round count is "lots"

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't keep track at all. Doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I keep a log book in my range bag. I started logging rounds fired for pistol break ins, but I continued for the same reason Sparks does - maintenance and parts wear monitoring. Guns are nothing more than little machines, and machines need maintenance. I log rounds fired for the same reason I have an odometer on my car, and I use the round count the same way. If something breaks, it goes in the log book. If I replace a part, it goes in the log book. It just gives you a better understanding of your firearm, and what you can expect out of it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I keep a log book in my range bag. I started logging rounds fired for pistol break ins, but I continued for the same reason Sparks does - maintenance and parts wear monitoring. Guns are nothing more than little machines, and machines need maintenance. I log rounds fired for the same reason I have an odometer on my car, and I use the round count the same way. If something breaks, it goes in the log book. If I replace a part, it goes in the log book. It just gives you a better understanding of your firearm, and what you can expect out of it.
Yep, I do the same thing with my cars, why not my guns?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I keep a general idea w/in a thousand rounds or so. Like others it's for maintenance, when to start looking for springs to be worn out etc.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
It's a good idea for autos, where recoil springs/locking blocks should be replaced. Less important for revolvers. If you know your revolvers then it's obvious when one needs attention.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Used to keep track when I only had one or two guns, now it is a little harder, especially since friends and family shoot with me, often bringing some ammo with them.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
20,004 Posts
The same way o'momma keeps reminding the nation of the good he has done - I lie like a dawg!

Seriously, same as the others have already mentioned - I keep an accounting (a WAG actually . . . google it if you don't get it) of how much I'be bought and how much I have left when I periodically shakedown and toss my gun locker . . . :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
I keep track of mine because each range trip i usually go through 100 rounds and have only been 5 times with mine. Only 500 rounds...is that even considered "broken in" yet?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It's a good idea for autos, where recoil springs/locking blocks should be replaced. Less important for revolvers. If you know your revolvers then it's obvious when one needs attention.
I think that if you know your firearm, be it a pistol or revolver you should know when it needs attention.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I keep track for maintenance. As in so many rounds for a complete disassemble,clean and look for warn parts. Springs and some moving parts wear and need monitoring for replacement.
I don't keep track, I am too freakin old to remember and only have ten? no 9.5 fingers left...see I didn't even quote the right forum member...WTF? really.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I think that if you know your firearm, be it a pistol or revolver you should know when it needs attention.
For very experienced shooters that is true, but a lot of shooters don't realize the recoil spring needs replacing until it starts having problems. For many autos that's around 5,000 rounds. Revolvers can go 20,000 before they really need anything. And they will still often function reliably way past that point for at least 50 rounds, albeit with spitting or fouling. Autos tend to develop ejection problems.

I'm saying many revolvers that need attention will still at least function and fire a reasonable number of rounds. Autos tend to start malfunctioning to the point repeat shots aren't reliable. Hence the revolver's reputation for "reliability ".

I've seen slightly out of time, mis-aligned, revolvers that still would still reliably fire in double action. Autos with similar levels of condition often won't fire more than a couple of rounds without a malfunction.

·
Super Moderator
20,004 Posts
glenwolde,

Gonna pick yer brain (promise it won't hurt) - not a revolver guy here so are those 20,000 rounds with the revolver 20,000 fill ups of the cylinder of 20,000 pulls of the trigger (rounds actually fired)?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Since I don't shoot that much I know how many boxes of 50 count I have purchased since I bought the gun.
I doubt I'll wear it out.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I only keep a mental tally, so it isn't all that accurate. Actually, I just count boxes of ammo, then multiply.

Reliability is why I count. If you have enough guns, you can actually lose track of which ones had how many jams and when.

And that's all I really care about - how many failures I've had for a given number of rounds. It can help determine which are the best guns to carry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts