Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have been following my decent into insanity trying to solve the "Light Strike" issue that has plagued mine as well as others' Spectrums, I couldn't take it anymore! I tried everything I could think of at this point. Sunday, I tried one more little tweak: a tiny bit of graphite powder on the striker pin guides (collars as I have been calling them) to try and further reduce the friction. Today I took her to the range and I am STILL having light strikes, albeit much less than I did initially, but 3-4 per hundred rounds is still not something reliable enough for me to trust my life with. So I bit the bullet and contacted Taurus. Really, I was kind of hoping they would just offer to ship me out a new striker assembly complete with all the springs so that I could just swap it all out myself and call it a day. But of course they wanted to get the gun in their hands, so the lady I was talking to through chat emailed me a shipping label, so I packed her up and sent her off. One thing that has taken me aback is that the rep said it could take as long as 8 weeks for the turnaround! I hope to God it doesn't take anywhere near that long. I think cnj said he got his back in about 2 weeks, which I would think is more than enough time to get her running correctly. So now I wait, hoping that QC has stepped up their game. Anyways, I will keep you all posted and when she gets back I will definitely give you a follow up on how she's running...

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I really hope that Taurus gets this taken care of. I really want one, but won't spend the $$ if I am worried that it'll have issues. I have two TCP's that work great...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I will wish you good luck and pray that Taurus pulls a miracle out of their hat and gets your Spectrum back ASAP and working perfectly.
But, I am also a pragmatist, and I have a feeling this may not come out well. After all, it is Taurus Customer Service.

·
Registered
585 Posts
For those of you who have been following my decent into insanity trying to solve the "Light Strike" issue that has plagued mine as well as others' Spectrums, I couldn't take it anymore! I tried everything I could think of at this point. Sunday, I tried one more little tweak: a tiny bit of graphite powder on the striker pin guides (collars as I have been calling them) to try and further reduce the friction. Today I took her to the range and I am STILL having light strikes, albeit much less than I did initially, but 3-4 per hundred rounds is still not something reliable enough for me to trust my life with. So I bit the bullet and contacted Taurus. Really, I was kind of hoping they would just offer to ship me out a new striker assembly complete with all the springs so that I could just swap it all out myself and call it a day. But of course they wanted to get the gun in their hands, so the lady I was talking to through chat emailed me a shipping label, so I packed her up and sent her off. One thing that has taken me aback is that the rep said it could take as long as 8 weeks for the turnaround! I hope to God it doesn't take anywhere near that long. I think cnj said he got his back in about 2 weeks, which I would think is more than enough time to get her running correctly. So now I wait, hoping that QC has stepped up their game. Anyways, I will keep you all posted and when she gets back I will definitely give you a follow up on how she's running...
Hey buddy. I am sorry you are still struggling with the LS issue, and I REALLY understand your frustration. Yes, I got my Spectrum back in 15 days total, so I am hoping that you fare just as well! I hope all is well when your pistola is returned to you!

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
493 Posts
All aside from the lite Strike issue, How does the Gun Feel and Shoot? I'm Looking at the P365 and the Spectrum , Have the TCP, and several Single stack 9s , is it snappy like the TCP? and Is it +p rated? and what ammo were you shooting ? Most likely I will get Both ,

·
Registered
37,586 Posts
Taurus must know there is a problem so have they made any revisions to the firing pin? It seems the ones coming back from repair are working correctly.
I doubt IF we will ever hear about it if they did make a change.
it may slip out through the grapevine but I doubt if the company will say anything.
Big AL you do understand that there is no such thing as Plus P 380 ammo correct? no NATO pressure ammo either.
I don't really know how a company would certify a weapon to fire something that really doesn't exist and a true plus p 380 if it existed would be `2,150 PSI above the operating pressure that exist in standard 380 ammo, or 10%.
OF course a ammo company can call ammo anything to do advertising and make more sales.
not saying its NOT over pressure, only that its not certified nor recognized by the testing institute.

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
8 Weeks seems to be the canned reply, I suspect it won't take that nearly that long maybe 2 weeks total time out of you hands if I had to guess. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: william

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
As stupid as this sounds, I am kinda hoping that when my wife's shows up it will have this
LS problem, as I want to figure out what is causing it and find a fix!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All aside from the lite Strike issue, How does the Gun Feel and Shoot? I'm Looking at the P365 and the Spectrum , Have the TCP, and several Single stack 9s , is it snappy like the TCP? and Is it +p rated? and what ammo were you shooting ? Most likely I will get Both ,
It is surprisingly fun to shoot! My wifes LCP is harsher in regards to snap. The ergonomics and grip of the Spectrum make it feel really natural in my hand, and it fires well even one handed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I knew that FedEx would be dropping off the gun with Taurus today, so I just hopped on the Taurus site to check and see if the status was up, and it already says that they have completed the repairs. Don't know how I feel about them having it for hours and it being fixed, but I guess maybe if it is just as simple as dropping in a new (hopefully longer) striker pin, then hey, I won't complain. Now just to wait and see how long it takes to get back to me so that I can take it to the range!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,045 Posts
I hope you measured the length of the firing pin, before you sent it in. As I'm thinking that's the fix.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Yeah. I feel the same way you do. I really want one of these, but am worried about "some" of the issues I have been hearing about.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
So I knew that FedEx would be dropping off the gun with Taurus today, so I just hopped on the Taurus site to check and see if the status was up, and it already says that they have completed the repairs. Don't know how I feel about them having it for hours and it being fixed, but I guess maybe if it is just as simple as dropping in a new (hopefully longer) striker pin, then hey, I won't complain. Now just to wait and see how long it takes to get back to me so that I can take it to the range!
Sometimes the solution to a big problem is as simple as replacing a part. They most-likely just replaced the firing pin, test fired it, examined the primer on the spent cases, and that's all that was needed to correct the issue.

Hopefully it will return to you soon in proper working order.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I doubt IF we will ever hear about it if they did make a change.
it may slip out through the grapevine but I doubt if the company will say anything.
Big AL you do understand that there is no such thing as Plus P 380 ammo correct? no NATO pressure ammo either.
I don't really know how a company would certify a weapon to fire something that really doesn't exist and a true plus p 380 if it existed would be `2,150 PSI above the operating pressure that exist in standard 380 ammo, or 10%.
OF course a ammo company can call ammo anything to do advertising and make more sales.
not saying its NOT over pressure, only that its not certified nor recognized by the testing institute.
I don't know if I said that but anyway, Ill use the excuse of Marketing Nomenclature the +p 380 rounds I was referring to would be the Buffalo Bore or Underwood , would be above standard pressure , above what I do not know , What I do Know is that when I Use them in My Sig 238, or my Bersa 380cc There is Much more punch , or using 9 +p in my 111g2 or 938, there is Much much more punch , so you cant deny that, I Have had no problems with that ammo, But again Its not like a Steady diet, like today I will have a Fully loaded Supreme Pizza to My self , But repent all week long l for my sins with lemon and water during the week, Happy shooting

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Still says "Repair Complete" on the Taurus site, however, I received a letter in the mail this week (while I've been expecting my gun) stating that it could be 12 weeks for a turn-around... so... I guess I just keep waiting...

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Update: Still says "Repair Complete" on the Taurus site, however, I received a letter in the mail this week (while I've been expecting my gun) stating that it could be 12 weeks for a turn-around... so... I guess I just keep waiting...
I am surprised that it states anything...the usual has been silence up until and even after the gun is at your door.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, its been 5 weeks now and still nothing from Taurus other than it being in the "inspection" phase as of last week... Meanwhile I needed a small gun to carry so I picked up a Sig P365 the other day and I'm thinking that the Taurus will not be long for my possession after it (if it ever does) gets back :( ...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Well, its been 5 weeks now and still nothing from Taurus other than it being in the "inspection" phase as of last week... Meanwhile I needed a small gun to carry so I picked up a Sig P365 the other day and I'm thinking that the Taurus will not be long for my possession after it (if it ever does) gets back :( ...
What do you think of the P365?

You may also want to start a thread about it in the other guns section.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.