Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Tampa this morning and thought I would go by my favorite gun shop to wish the crew Happy Thanksgiving. I fully intended to run in, say hey, Happy Thanksgiving, and back out to my truck. I had absolutely no thought to looking at guns or buying anything! What is it they say about the best laid plans....

I had purchased a 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave from the shop some months ago and the owner was aware that I really liked the gun. The way I use the Shockwave it makes one of the best home defense/vehicle defense/all around utility weapons that one can have.

Anyway, I no more than walked up to the counter than the owner pulled out a slightly used .410 Mossberg Shockwave and handed it to me. He had sold the gun new to a fellow about a month ago and Monday the guy brought in the .410 and two other guns to trade on a new Kimber Stainless Raptor. I got myself a cup of coffee and we talked about it. He figured, being a .410, I would find the Shockwave unique enough that I might want to take it home with me. He was correct. About 30 minutes later I gave him $200 out the door and I had another Shockwave.

It is just a standard Shockwave, other than caliber nom different than any other, I haven't shot it yet and don't know if I will...

I really like my 12 gauge SW. I installed an OpSol converter plug so I can shoot it with the Aguila Mini Shells. It holds 10 mini shell (9+1) and I prefer slugs. Each slug is 386 grains at 1250 FPS which produces about 1340 ft pounds of energy. That is more than twice the energy of a .357 magnum. The gun is easy to maneuver (only 26 inches long), light weight, with practically no recoil using the mini shells. It makes a fine home defense/truck/car gun.

So, I now have a .410 Shockwave! Have no specific use for it and had no real reason to buy it but I did. No problem....... it looks good with the rest of the pile!

Here is a picture of the .410 Shockwave and a picture showing the size of the mini shell slug compared to a 12 and a 20 gauge shot shell.

Don

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Can you fire it accurately from, say, 25 yards maybe one handed? I've just been wondering about that. Checked 'em out at Academy yesterday.

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Something like that, I would be happy with 10 yard torso shots. I look at it as a house gun and how many rooms or even hallways do you normally have that are more than 10 yards? I think it would work great in that capacity. Congrats!

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Ha, ha, ha. I'll just run in to the gun store and not pick anything up...

Maybe your wife will buy that line (once) but your fellow board members know better!
Yeah, we do know better, but us charter members of EnablersRUs have got yer back! Good buy, and do give us a range report when you shoot it.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Something like that, I would be happy with 10 yard torso shots. I look at it as a house gun and how many rooms or even hallways do you normally have that are more than 10 yards? I think it would work great in that capacity. Congrats!
I just kinda wondered if it could be fired with some accuracy one handed. A 20 gauge would probably be best for that, though. One could even mount a red dot sight on it. This would expand its uses beyond the house. :D

I really have very little use for a short range firearm. I have a VERY low chance of ever seeing anyone on my road that I don't know unless it's the UPS guy. :rofl: In the very slim chance I might be invaded, I have a loaded handgun to defend with.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 12GA is quite a handful with standard buckshot loads. Might be too much for one handed shooting. With the Aguila mini-shells it is much more manageable with one hand.

I would think the .410 would be ideal. Wish that one had been available when I bought my 12GA model. Might get the .410 at a later date.

Good find and great price on the Shockwave!

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
So, I take it they don't make a 20 gauge? Seems like the perfect choice to me. 3 buck and slugs hit hard out of a 20, yet it has much less recoil than a 12, especially the slugs.

I only saw a 12 and a .410 at Academy. Never got a chance to ask anyone as they were busy.

The mini shells are a good compromise, but they're hard to find and I question how may 3 buck one would hold. The 2 3/4" 20 holds 20 pellets. The mini shells do increase magazine capacity, however.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Yeah, for sure, I'd want the 20. :D

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I paid $149 for my Mav88 12g and put a pistol grip on it. I like it a lot but I am intrigued by the parrots head grip. Good buy!

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
985 Posts
Using some refrigerator boxes, I'd like to see these patterned all the way out to the fifty.

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
I wonder how the 12 gauge Shockwave would do with mini shells from Aquila?

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder how the 12 gauge Shockwave would do with mini shells from Aquila?

Did you read the original Post in this thread? I talked about my 12 gauge with the mini shells.

Don

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
985 Posts
Didn't realize the .410 version was out, always suspected they would make ie. I got the 20 gauge from PSA when they did the deal of 3
AR lowers and the 20 gauge shockwave for $300. a friend already had the 12 gauge and yes, i think the mini shells are the way to go in 12 gauge. is there a mini shell in 20 gauge (yet)?

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Didn't realize the .410 version was out, always suspected they would make ie. I got the 20 gauge from PSA when they did the deal of 3
AR lowers and the 20 gauge shockwave for $300. a friend already had the 12 gauge and yes, i think the mini shells are the way to go in 12 gauge. is there a mini shell in 20 gauge (yet)?
It looks like they just sell the three different 12 gauge versions. https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/#minishelltab

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
Did you read the original Post in this thread? I talked about my 12 gauge with the mini shells.

Don
Sorry, I think my brain stuttered and i just skipped right over that part.

Reactions: BangBang
1 - 20 of 76 Posts