Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of these... Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I only had time to shoot 50 rounds today, but I loved it. The back sight is a little loose, but I'm sure it'll tighten up. My question is.. is this a model 851, or would you just consider it an 85?

I'm trying to find some new grips, and it seems like most grips are for an 85, or just "small frame Taurus". Will all of these fit my gun?

Also, is there anyone that makes different rear sights for it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Since it is a fixed rear sight handgun, you have what you have. Try Hogue grips, you can find the website as easy as I can.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
It's a model 851 but the only difference between it and the Model 85 is the hammer shroud. The Model 85 grips will fit it just fine. I own an 851 and I put a set of larger Model 85 grips on mine.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Welcome to Taurus armed... I cant say for certain but the 851 ultra is based on the 85, hammerless. its a great carry piece. Check all your owners info and do not load any ammo other than what is recommended in your manual. Too many people want to try to make a gun BIGGER by using HOTTER ammo. A good critical defense ammo like Hornady critical defense will make your 38 a very good personal defense weapon. congratulations.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I don't understand the phrase: "the back sight is a little loose". How does that happen on a fixed sight gun????

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I don't understand the phrase: "the back sight is a little loose". How does that happen on a fixed sight gun????
That part has me confused too, can you post an actual picture of the gun?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
286.jpg 287.jpg 288.jpg

There's a little screw right there below the rear sight. It's just a little black piece of plastic. It's not a fixed sight. I'm really confused now.

P.S. How do I make my pictures bigger? for some reason they are links you can click to make bigger. Sorry, I haven't posted pics on the internet for some time now.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
That's a really nice pistol you have there...really would like to have one myself!!! Also would like to Welcome you from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Yes, you have a Model 851. I have one and I love it! Like you, I have thought about putting new
grips on it, but after shooting it a few times, I decided the stock grips were OK afterall. I got used
to them and for now, no changes are in store for my 851. It is part of my carry rotation and my
wife also likes to carry it on her walks around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to Taurus armed... I cant say for certain but the 851 ultra is based on the 85, hammerless. its a great carry piece. Check all your owners info and do not load any ammo other than what is recommended in your manual. Too many people want to try to make a gun BIGGER by using HOTTER ammo. A good critical defense ammo like Hornady critical defense will make your 38 a very good personal defense weapon. congratulations.
The owners manual was kind of generic. It was just labeled "Taurus Revolvers" and didn't seem to have any Caliber Specific directions. The manual on the internet is the same as what I have on paper. It says on the internet site that it can handle +P ammo, but based on what everyone else says it should have a fixed site. I'm not even sure I have the same gun. It looks exactly the same except for the little screw that holds on my plastic site. I'm really confused, because I can't find anything else that looks like mine.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The owners manual was kind of generic. It was just labeled "Taurus Revolvers" and didn't seem to have any Caliber Specific directions. The manual on the internet is the same as what I have on paper. It says on the internet site that it can handle +P ammo, but based on what everyone else says it should have a fixed site. I'm not even sure I have the same gun. It looks exactly the same except for the little screw that holds on my plastic site. I'm really confused, because I can't find anything else that looks like mine.
I am afraid I cant speak of the sight any further since I dont have this model. Based on your OP the Taurus site, under FEATURES, had the following info about an adjustable site::: Cia Ajustabe Rear Sights-Selected Taurus CIA and Protector revolvers will ship with the integral adjustable rear sight. The sight blade is adjusted by means of a screw in the frame of the gun just below the sight. Could your gun have this adjustable site and the screw is possibly stripped????

As far as +P, if your manual says its ok that would mean it would work, especially for self defense, but with an ultra lite frame a steady diet would prob not be recommended.
When in doubt a call to Taurus Customer assistance would bring you a better answer. If you call and they are busy I would suggest you hold the line to speak to an advisor rather than leave a message.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
It is definitely an 851. The steel frame models like mine just have a groove in the top of the receiver without the rear sight blade. The Ultra Light 851 has the sight blade added to it. If you look closely at the blue version in the Taurus Catalog - Model 851-B2UL you will see the rear sight. I think they used a standard SS 851 for the picture of the 851UL in the Catalog picture. At any rate, the adjustable rear sight and the reduced weight are the defining features between the regular 851 and the Ultra Light 851.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you download the product manual from the Taurus catalog at Taurus International Manufacturing Inc you will find info about the adjustable sight used on CIA models is located on page 10. It is adjustable for windage only (side to side) by using the screw. It must be designed to be loose. You can probably find a way to make it a little snugger without "fixing" it in place. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts