Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only half-way decent one around is the Hi point and well it's a high point. The Sub2k is nearly impossible to find. Taurus, you could make a mint if you made a simple PCC. Personally I want a .45 but I know tons of people that would like a nice 9mm carbine. Something simple and small that is not an AR and just works...

Is it just me, seems to be what a lot of people are looking for but at shot show this years all we got was the millionth new AR, AK, 1911 or poly wonder pistol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Great point. With all of the new products from Taurus WHERE is their carbine?

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Agreed.
I love the Beretta CX4 carbine. Problem is they were a little costly...now they are just stupid expensive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed.
I love the Beretta CX4 carbine. Problem is they were a little costly...now they are just stupid expensive.
Same problem with the sub2k, last one I saw at a gun show was 800 bucks (for probably 5 bucks worth of plastic and metal) and that's when you can even find them as Kel-tech seems to have production issues.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I wish I could buy a Taurus carbine CT G2 9MM, but I have never seen one. They look pretty cool in the Taurus 2012 catalog. Do not discount the Hi-Point line of carbines. I have the 995TS (chambered in 9MM) and I love that thing. So do all my buddies who are actively looking for one right now. They, like Taurus, carry a life time warranty, made in the USA, and are a hoot to shoot. The wife got me one for Christmas, and I think she did so because she wanted to shoot it! It turned out to be a present for both of us.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Well, if Taurus can't make and export a carbine to the U.S. due to some ridiculous regulation, why don't do like MechTech and just make the upper part to mate with the 24/7 series frame?
MechTech - Home
Unless of course they run into that pesky 922 thing.
Maybe Miami could tool up to make enough of it to satisfy the regs and just import the rest.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the G2's and it's nice but IMO, it's just got too much going on and is too expensive. Keep it simple and stupid, you don't need a lot of crap on it, just make a pipe that slings 9mm (and .45) and people will buy the hell out of it. Wish I had a metal shop :)

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I like the original Hi Point carbine.The first gen ones are plain and simple.They work.Bought and sold two when nobody wanted them and now they are hard to find and have gone up in price.I found a used one at my LGS and snapped it up w/o hesitation while everyone else was whining about no AR'S and magazines.If I could find the .45 I would be set.
If Taurus were to make one my suggestion would be to keep it simple.No need for lots of flashy tacticool stuff.Maybe offer it with a red dot or a scope mount rail like the 62/72 as well as some decent iron sights.A sling is a nice touch.10 rounds is okay.15-20 would be better.Or at least some factory hi cap mags available.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi point rocks.

I've had the Hi point 995 carbine in 9mm for about ten years. In that time I have put litterally thousands of rounds through it and have never had any problems. Also, I've never cleaned it. I bought it from a guy down on his luck for $75.00. It has been used and abused, but I am fully confident it will go bang every time I pull the trigger. And if it dosen't, Hi point has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. A very understated firearm company. Too bad all firearms are not this reliable. If I'm ever given the opprotunity, I will buy another.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Taurus could not import a Carbine to the USA with out cutting it in two and then rebuilding it with USA parts, unless they made it in the States in the beginning.

If a company doesn't already have a manufacturing line set up in the USA to produce a semi-auto, it is doubtful in the current gun grabbing climate anyone would make that investment.

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
Instead of answering your question, let me ask you one.
What is wrong with the Hi-Point?
Reliable, very inexpensive... OK, they're on the homely side.
Magazines are inexpensive.
If I hadn't sold all my guns to a guy that looked like the son obama doesn't have, I would have a .40 S&W carbine version that was a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The theme for this carbine is keep it simple. I'd like to see Taurus come out with a 9mm carbine that took the same magazines as the PT99.

I think it was Marlin that made a Camp-9. Simple. A carbine similar to the Camp-9 or the M-1 Carbine would be a good seller.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
You didn’t specifically say semi-automatic carbine; so, I will suggest a Rossi M92 in 38/357, 44 magnum or 45 long colt. I sold my Hi Point carbine and put the cash towards my Rossi and never looked back. With a little practice you will be amazed how quickly you can rack off a full tube of rounds. Not that there is a real need to do that.

Furthermore, it doesn’t have that evil AW look and anti’s tend to ignore that old western look, for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had never set eyes on a hi point till tonight. Id buy one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts