Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Gun Shop today and thought I had found a hell of a deal. This big zip lock bag of 9mm for $7.00 then I looked closer the $ was a 5. I'm sure they were reloads even though they did a great job on shining up the brass. Never have bought reloads at a gun show or shop, but if they had been the originally thought $7 I would have taken the chance.

I had always wanted to get into reloading, but kept putting it off now I wish I had. The day at the gun shop is what brought this thought into my feeble brain. Now to the meat of this post.

With the shortages and all and when the prices come down in both ammo and reloading supplies would any of you reloaders ever think about doing it as a home business? I mean stock up on supplies for the more popular calibers once the prices come down and wait for the next craze or if you have plenty now take advantage of the current situation. Have people bring you their brass and charge them for the cost of restocking your supplies plus a little profit. Not sure what the legal requirements would be.

Anyway just curious what everyone thought of this.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
No. The liability of that just scares the crap out of me....

·
Administrator
35,793 Posts
I think you have to be an FFL to legally sell your reloads. I'm not talking about a buddy being short on ammo at the range and selling him a bag of yours, I'm talking about mass production.

·
Registered
15,015 Posts
I have been saving my brass for many years with the thought that reloading would be cool.

I have .38, .357, 30-30, and .45 acp brass.

Now, I wish I had gotten the equipment and supplies BEFORE this current mess.

If I start reloading, it will be for me!

·
Administrator
35,793 Posts
You can still get into reloading pretty cheap! Go to ebay and check out the used presses, with many of the other things you'll need to get started. Or, you can just buy a piece at a time.....I saw a Hornady single stage press, not the kit, at Cabelas yesterday for $159. That is a good start.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
I think it is a type 6 FFL needed to make and sell ammo. I bet the insurance is expensive.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Not me....

My brother does it for a business and started with over
a $600,000 investment.All automated.Does very well.
I don't even buy/shoot his rounds.I only shoot mine.
His biggest concern these days are primers.
He freaks when he gets down to 1,000,000 primers.
He has more stress than I ever wish on most anyone.
He makes pretty stuff though.
It is cool to watch the delivery come....makes me drool.
Lift gate truck, pallet jacks, pallets of projectiles and powder....

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
There is a guy locally who started up his own reloading business here. He supplies the local indoor range, as well as a number of
LGS' in the area. I've been told that he recently moved his operation from his home to a new store front, right next door to the
range. He is also in the process of upgrading his presses, and once that is done, he will be selling ammo directly to the public. I've
also been told that, should one be in need, and ask politely, as long as his supply isn't in the red, he might be a good source for primers
locally. I'm kind of hoping that when he opens his doors to the public, he might also offer reloading supplies.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
With the cost of ammo being where it is now, it wouldnt surprise me to see it happen. Look at what ammo prices were before 2008 and how the 2008 cost increase never really went away. I see ammo maybe not being as expensive as it is now but I dont ever think we will see pre December 11th prices again. Too many people see ammo flying off the shelf at 2-3 times the price that it was. Hell, the only 22lr ammo I can find is on local classified sites and Gunbroker for $50+ for bulk ammo. I was paying $18 as of last September

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is a guy locally who started up his own reloading business here. He supplies the local indoor range, as well as a number of
LGS' in the area. I've been told that he recently moved his operation from his home to a new store front, right next door to the
range. He is also in the process of upgrading his presses, and once that is done, he will be selling ammo directly to the public. I've
also been told that, should one be in need, and ask politely, as long as his supply isn't in the red, he might be a good source for primers
locally. I'm kind of hoping that when he opens his doors to the public, he might also offer reloading supplies.
RichO, You must live close to me,I know the guy your talking about,great guy.He's helped me and my son on a couple reloading questions we've had.Last time I talked to him he was going to carry some reloading supplies when he gets opened up.Where do you shoot around here? morayman.........

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
RichO, You must live close to me,I know the guy your talking about,great guy.He's helped me and my son on a couple reloading questions we've had.Last time I talked to him he was going to carry some reloading supplies when he gets opened up.Where do you shoot around here? morayman.........
Is it "Spray and Pray"? :) Unfortunately, my range time is very limited lately, so when I get a chance to sneak out for a bit, I usually
go to 'Highlands Indoor'. When the wife and I actually get a day off together with no major plans, we sometimes run over
to Okeechobee Shooting Sports.

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
NO!
actually i have and do still turn down a fair number of request to load a few for people!
to much liscense, to much liability, to much worry and long hours, to much investment in new faster equipment.
I have always found that when a hobby becomes a job generally all the fun goes out of it.
With the increased regulations that are comning down the pike i can't see me wanting to do do any business that involves the government and most all business now days does.

Reactions: jwc007 and RichO

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is it "Spray and Pray"? :) Unfortunately, my range time is very limited lately, so when I get a chance to sneak out for a bit, I usually
go to 'Highlands Indoor'. When the wife and I actually get a day off together with no major plans, we sometimes run over
to Okeechobee Shooting Sports.

Yea thats him,great guy.My son and I belong to Highlands Gun Club,my son is the Secretary.It's in Lorida. Okeechobee is a first class range from what I've seen of it,just too far to drive for us. morayman.........

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I had one "commercial Reloader" that would hit all the gun shows and his ammo was good and the prices reasonable. I bought thousands of his ammo through the years for range use and local league bulls eye matches in 45ACP when I lived in Iowa and never had any problems.

May he rest in peace.

Yes it does require a federal license and liabilty insurance.

·
Administrator
18,650 Posts
NO!
actually i have and do still turn down a fair number of request to load a few for people!
to much liscense, to much liability, to much worry and long hours, to much investment in new faster equipment.
I have always found that when a hobby becomes a job generally all the fun goes out of it.
With the increased regulations that are comning down the pike i can't see me wanting to do do any business that involves the government and most all business now days does.
Same here! Also, with components being scarce and priced high, it's just not even practical.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust an "Unknown" source on reloads for one of my guns. I reload myself and you really better keep your mind on what your doing or "BAN," there goes your $450 24/7 G2. And possibly a couple of fingers.

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Same here! Also, with components being scarce and priced high, it's just not even practical.
Speak the Gospel!
the 2 largest commercial relaoders in the state to my knowledge has pretty much ran out of components!
Georgia Arms and Atlanta Arms and Ammo, Georgia Arms has had nothing available on their site for weeks and the ranges are being told by atlanta arms that thye are incurring bad problems getting powder and primers and have cut back on the really large commercial orders to try to supply as many different customers as possible.
these guys buy a lot of these components and not in 4- 8 pound cans either or 1000 ct packs..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts