Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Officers are scared out there': Coronavirus hits US police

WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich. – More than a fifth of Detroit's police force is quarantined; two officers have died from coronavirus and at least 39 have tested positive, including the chief of police.
For the 2,200-person department, that has meant officers working doubles and swapping between units to fill patrols. And everyone has their temperature checked before they start work.
An increasing number of police departments around the country are watching their ranks get sick as the number of coronavirus cases explodes across the U.S. The growing tally raises questions about how laws can and should be enforced during the pandemic, and about how departments will hold up as the virus spreads among those whose work puts them at increased risk of infection.

“I don’t think it’s too far to say that officers are scared out there,” said Sgt. Manny Ramirez, president of Fort Worth Police Officers Association.
Nearly 690 officers and civilian employees at police departments and sheriff’s offices around the country have tested positive for COVID-19, according to an Associated Press survey this week of over 40 law enforcement agencies, mostly in major cities. The number of those in isolation as they await test results is far higher in many places.
Anticipating shortages, police academies are accelerating coursework to provide reinforcements. Masks, gloves and huge volumes of hand sanitizer have been distributed. Roll call and staff meetings are happening outside, over the phone or online. Precinct offices, squad cars and equipment get deep cleaned in keeping with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance.
Yet, many are worried it's not enough. This week, groups representing American police and fire chiefs, sheriffs, mayors and county leaders asked President Donald Trump in a letter to use the Korean War-era Defense Production Act to ensure they have enough protective gear.

“We’re in war footing against an invisible enemy and we are on the verge of running out" of protective supplies, said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, president of the Major Cities Chiefs Association. “We’ve got hospitals calling police departments, police departments calling each other, and it’s time to nationalize in terms of our response.”
Police are accustomed to meeting staffing crunches by canceling vacations and leave, putting officers on 12-hour on, 12-hour off schedules and, when necessary, by shifting detectives and other specialized personnel to patrol.
And officers are used to risk. It's part of the job. But at a time when Americans are being advised to stay six feet from each other to combat an insidious virus that can live on surfaces for days, the perils and anxieties are new.
This crisis is unlike any American police forces have dealt with before, said former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
“We're in unprecedented territory here,” said Davis, who led the police department when the Boston Marathon bombing happened in 2013.
Streets are less crowded as people hunker in their homes. But police must prepare for the possibility of civil unrest among people who become anxious or unhappy about government orders or hospitals that get overrun with patients, he said.
In New York, which has rapidly become the American epicenter of the pandemic, more than 500 NYPD personnel have come down with COVID-19, including 442 officers, and the department's head of counter-terrorism was hospitalized with symptoms. Two NYPD employees have died. On a single day this week, Friday, 4,111 uniformed officers called in sick, more than 10% of the force and more than three times the daily average.
Leadership at America’s largest police department maintains that it’s continuing enforcement as usual. But they’ve also said that if the disease continues to affect manpower the NYPD could switch patrol hours, or pull officers from specialized units and other parts of the city to fill gaps -- steps also taken after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt--politics/officers-are-scared-out-there-coronavirus-hits-police/t3m65DlDfIQPzhKA5jh1ZM/

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yep. Not just Ohio. I got popped yesterday for busting a U-turn on the interstate due to a rollover accident blocking both lanes. Trooper was wearing gloves, and handling my paperwork like it was toxic waste. I was cool, and he had me dead to rights. I did find out that, so far, they won't be randomly stopping people traveling during our lockdown. They understand we have family to take care of, and just daily life in general. However, that could change if people get stoopid like they have in other states.

Wife is still laughing, as I called it, "The $85 U-turn". :p

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep. Not just Ohio. I got popped yesterday for busting a U-turn on the interstate due to a rollover accident blocking both lanes. Trooper was wearing gloves, and handling my paperwork like it was toxic waste. I was cool, and he had me dead to rights. I did find out that, so far, they won't be randomly stopping people traveling during our lockdown. They understand we have family to take care of, and just daily life in general. However, that could change if people get stoopid like they have in other states.

Wife is still laughing, as I called it, "The $85 U-turn". :p
So, in other words, you received a ticket for trying to keep traffic flowing and preventing a longer wait time for others. Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
I can see this happening in any of our front line responders, fire and rescue, EMTs, of course Doctors and nurses.

Few folks think of Realtors, but back in my day, and particularly this time of year, I was meeting the planes of Doctors and Anesthetists coming to Lubbock to interview for positions at our med school to sell them on living in Lubbock, and then later to sell them a place to live. Both Cases we were together at least eight hours a day, at least half that time in the same car together.

Cashiers at grocery stores or anywhere else are on the front lines so to speak. Think how many folks are well within the social distancing range of 6' at a cashier, hopefully not having to handle cash or coin from an infected person.

Today, I am basically a hermit, don't want to cart anyone around in my car, so I went to remodeling strictly a few months back, and now I don't want to go into anyone's home to do a project. A couple of weeks ago, I went into a lady's home to meet with her about a project and she had just arrived on a airline coming back from Houston, and her husband was in Administration in a hospital down there. I was nervous about meeting with her.

If I were a taxi or Uber driver, bus driver, I would be hunkering down at home instead of carting folks around.

I'm just glad I'm as retired as I want to be, and for the duration of this crisis, I'm retired.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I can see this happening in any of our front line responders, fire and rescue, EMTs, of course Doctors and nurses.

Few folks think of Realtors, but back in my day, and particularly this time of year, I was meeting the planes of Doctors and Anesthetists coming to Lubbock to interview for positions at our med school to sell them on living in Lubbock, and then later to sell them a place to live. Both Cases we were together at least eight hours a day, at least half that time in the same car together.

Cashiers at grocery stores or anywhere else are on the front lines so to speak. Think how many folks are well within the social distancing range of 6' at a cashier, hopefully not having to handle cash or coin from an infected person.

Today, I am basically a hermit, don't want to cart anyone around in my car, so I went to remodeling strictly a few months back, and now I don't want to go into anyone's home to do a project. A couple of weeks ago, I went into a lady's home to meet with her about a project and she had just arrived on a airline coming back from Houston, and her husband was in Administration in a hospital down there. I was nervous about meeting with her.

If I were a taxi or Uber driver, bus driver, I would be hunkering down at home instead of carting folks around.

I'm just glad I'm as retired as I want to be, and for the duration of this crisis, I'm retired.
Funny you brought up realtors. I had to take quick trip today and as I was driving down the street I saw an "open house" posted by the curb! Uh yea I'm thinking not a lot of lookers these days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is happening all over. I used to work in LE and have friends who are still first responders. Nobody wants to go out, nobody has adequate PPE.

If your city or state is sheltering in place, your police aren't answering a lot of certain types of calls anymore. Sadly, bad guys know this and are also pushing their limits.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
You can't blame law enforcement agencies for being cautious as they do deal with the public day every .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yea, who wants to chase bad guys when they can sit there and run traffic all day, taking money from honest-hard working people who only want to get home quicker by making a u-turn?

...and no, I'm not 'anti cop', quite the opposite in fact, they have a tough job to do...but when I see petty stuff like this, for a U-turn, come on already.

·
21,928 Posts
I heard on the news earlier today that 500 NYPD are infected.

"Just another cold...."

·
Super Moderator
19,623 Posts
Aw, geez . . . Anyone thinking "Blue Flu"?

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
Geeze, next thing Trump will be doing is getting Fiat Chrysler to make RoboCops!

Reactions: 357Funtime

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
If I may return to that railroad siding called "real estate" that we had a few posts back, my son and his wife have their house for sale, and have had three showings in the past week where they loaded their dogs and kids and came to our place for a while. House sales, according to their agent, are not slowing down for this virus. Interesting.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
I heard this morning that half of the new cases in Plano Texas are law enforcement. Take care out there, guys and gals.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
If I may return to that railroad siding called "real estate" that we had a few posts back, my son and his wife have their house for sale, and have had three showings in the past week where they loaded their dogs and kids and came to our place for a while. House sales, according to their agent, are not slowing down for this virus. Interesting.
From March 15th forward to Mid July is the busiest time of the year in Real Estate. Usually most transfers come after school lets outs and folks transferring know in advance. New Graduates already have jobs lined up. Also, investors aren't looking at stocks right now.

In Lubbock, with a metro population of 330,000 only had 815 active listings last week when I checked, and that is all single family properties in the entire county, a low number. I checked how many properties were currently under contract (not included in the active listings) and there were 642 properties in escrow.

Also, checking with a few friends who are still actively working, business has been brisk. I am sure a lot of mortgage loans are now sub 3%, it is a great time to buy a home.

Lubbock will weather this storm we are in, it is a very diversified economy. Lubbock did pretty well during the recessions of the 70's, fair in the Savings and Loan failures and oil busts of the 80's, and even fair during the mortgage meltdowns of 2008-2009.

Lubbock is not on shelter in place at this point, even though bars, restaurants and most retail is now closed.

Realtors I talked to are nervous about the virus, particularly the older ones. If this thing gets more serious, it will have an effect for sure.

I thought back to 9-11 of 2001. I had a doctor who had accepted a Job with the Med School and we talked the afternoon of 9/11, discussed the terrible event, and he simply said, I've still got to have a place to live. That pretty well sums it up, people still have to live somewhere. It's a good time and a nervous time to be in real estate sales or rentals.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think a whole lot of people are just trying to continue on business as usual. I haven't been out of the house in over a week, was starting to get low on some things so figured being at the store at 7AM would be a wise move and the best time to go. I pulled up 6:45 and there was a crowd I'd say 25-30 people just waiting in a big group right outside the door. No social distancing, no line, just one big clump of people. I waited in my car until the door got unlocked and the crowd moved in. I'm seeing that kind of thing everywhere. One guy was going through a stack of coupons while he shopped and using saliva to better separate them. I'm getting pictures from back east of playgrounds full of kids playing basketball and other hangout recreational type activities. It's nuts, truly nuts. We are without a doubt our own worst enemy in this fight, because millions of us just don't seem to grasp the severity, or just don't seem to care for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Well if the perp is dead he can't breathe on you. You don't have to cuff them, finger print them...
Bag em and tag em or taze and release. Dogs can't get the Chinese flu. Fass Fass, so ist brav

·
Registered
3,515 Posts

·
Registered
14,587 Posts
This entire thing is a complete farce. The police spokesmen are complete pansies on top of that. I'm part of those front lines in the EMS side. Fire and PD across the country we're treating this pandemic like a joke. Fire was burning through PPE like they had container ships' worth of inventory they had to use up. The Houston embarrassment... erm I mean chief is talking about nationalizing? What in the Hell is he talking about? We've had policies and procedures handed down by the CDC, Dept of Homeland Security/FEMA and national Office of emergency management for everything to do about Covid-19 for the past 3+ weeks. I have my temp taken every 12 hours and it's logged. If I have a temp at any point that exceeds 99.6 degrees, I am denied entry to any EMS facility and I go immediately into QT. I have to carry at least 2 N95 masks with me and a box of nitrile gloves wherever I go. Even pump gas, I have to glove up.
On Wednesday I had an initial reading for 100.0 degrees (forehead reading). QT protocols were activated and this is while I've got sweat running down my face with a decent sunburn going on. I was replacing/repairing security cameras in direct sunlight and jogged back to the temp reading center. A mouth thermo showed it at 98.2 and they cancelled the QT procedure. My temp which I just took was 97.9 (I run low on my temps). This is how the procedure is designed to work. Due to my job, I'm considered mission critical so they go out of their way to make sure they keep me insulated from possible contact. If these Police officers took Covid-19 as seriously as they should, contraction rates would be 1% of what we're seeing now in emergency services.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
989 Posts
The government here in GB have asked that ALL house sales be put on hold where possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts